Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
9341 - 9360 of 9378 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
took the Takeda intake off the Red one to clean the filter, and popped the stock one back on...

It made a difference when the car had the sprintex, but there's literally no change in the car with the stock air box and no blower.

will be for sale soon, as I have no plans to go back to the sprintex.
You thinking of going HPD anytime soon ??

·
Registered
182 Posts
haha not anytime soon. I'd be more likely to go HKS anyway lol.
It would be sweet to have a positive displacement blower but it seems like the Sprintex just had some serious problems. I wonder if a K-series blower might be able to be adaptes to the L15. I agree I'd rather have turbo than centrifugal supercharger any day.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
yea, the design certainly has room for improvement... temperature management is the key to keeping them alive, and there just isn't really room for that in the engine bay without going to a vented hood.

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
809 Posts
Changed my oil, but I had to mix some oils that I had leftover from previous oil changes rather than buy a whole new jug of oil because money is tight rn. They're all 0w-20 Full synthetic so I'm not worried

I did have some extra thoughts about this, but rather than clutter up this thread, I decided to post it here. Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Had a pretty good day with the Z. Changed the engine oil and filter. Changed the transmission oil and filter. Pulled the wheels cleaned them the backside and rotated the tires. Washed and dried the car. And lastly, I clean up under the hood with a damp rag just about every time I wash the car. It's nice and clean so that when it rains tonight it will get good and dirty tomorrow.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I was cutting it close with the tread I have left on my Falken tires that came with the RPF1’s I bought earlier this year. All 4 tires did fit in the CRZ surprisingly.

Advan Sport A/S+ 225/45/17

I also have have the same tires but different specs on my Advan RGII 225/40/18

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I've made huge progress on the white car - old transmission is out, I've done a lot of cleanup work (literally - previous owner lived on a dirt road, so there is red clay dust all over the undercarriage, and little bits of gravel lodged in a lot of places). Right now I'm waiting on parts to arrive in the mail before I can put it all back together.

I also put bedliner on the front wheelwells. Herculiner spray-on bedliner makes the best wheel liner you can find, you just have to go way overboard on cleaning the wheelwell. I pulled the struts out and got in there with a tooth brush, then blasted clear with compressed air and wiped down with isopropyl alcohol. The only thing I'd do different is take before/after pics, lol.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Almost had a white Christmas. Woke up 6AM in the morning to see no snow then a couple hours later, 5-9 inches of snow covered the PNW. Even with new tires I’m not taking the risk. Not sure if it’ll make a big difference would having the TMPS sensor help in the snow(it’s still attached on my OEM wheels)?

Any tips on chains or zip tie chains?

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
809 Posts
Almost had a white Christmas. Woke up 6AM in the morning to see no snow then a couple hours later, 5-9 inches of snow covered the PNW. Even with new tires I’m not taking the risk. Not sure if it’ll make a big difference would having the TMPS sensor help in the snow(it’s still attached on my OEM wheels)?

I've never driven in the snow, but I've heard that turning off traction control can be useful sometimes. If you don't have the tpms sensors with you, the car won't allow TC to be turned off.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I've never driven in the snow, but I've heard that turning off traction control can be useful sometimes. If you don't have the tpms sensors with you, the car won't allow TC to be turned off.
I never driven in snow either. My car been parked 2 years in a row 19-20 during snow season. This snow was unexpected. I drove about 5-10 feet earlier to get the feel of it with new tires and it felt weird so I gave up.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
I never driven in snow either. My car been parked 2 years in a row 19-20 during snow season. This snow was unexpected. I drove about 5-10 feet earlier to get the feel of it with new tires and it felt weird so I gave up.

Like, not at all? Or just not in your CR-Z? You're missing out on some fun times!

·
Premium Member
7,970 Posts
To drive in light snow expect the car to slide some, do not accelerate quickly, leave much more space, use less input( steering, gas and brake) and go slower. Do everything slower. If you have never in your life driven in snow, it is just something you have to learn how you and your car responds. If you slide steer out of the skid and look where you want to go. Use as little gas and steering as you can to bring car back under control. Traction control will help some with this. You may also want to use econ mode or a lower mode than you do normally.

The whole turning off the traction control I personally do not agree with but since you have no TPMS sensors you cannot turn it off unless you disconnect the Yaw sensor.

I tell all new drivers of a vehicle to take the car to a big open parking lot and practice so you know how the systems in your car work and behave in different conditions. Great opportunity to learn some new skills.

Summary go slower , leave more space , accelerate slower, expect car to slide, steer out of the skid/slide.

Some tire traction devices cannot be used on our cars and can cause damage to the car. I presume you have all season tires.

if you don't have to drive don't, if you are not comfortable driving in the conditions don't do it.

The worst situation I was ever in with my previous car was going out during a bad snow storm and having the car fail and I was stuck against the left side barrier wall on a 6 lane(in both directions) high way for 5 hours and could not get a tow. There was no reason for me to be driving.

If you do not absolutely need to go somewhere don't! if you do need to go out: Make sure your cell phone is fully charged, you have a blanket and or warm clothing in the car in case you get stuck, have snow scraper in the car and if you have to drive a lot in snow have some sand or kitty litter to help get you unstuck(or in a pinch you can throw your floor mat under the wheel). I even have a folding shovel in my car. Clear all glass and lights completely before driving and each time you stop. In some places it is the law to clear the roof of the car. Try to not use a snow brush, it can scratch the paint. I use a soft foam snow tool. Check your air pressure in your tires.

Just be careful!

·
Registered
154 Posts
To drive in light snow expect the car to slide some, do not accelerate quickly, leave much more space, use less input( steering, gas and brake) and go slower. Do everything slower. If you have never in your life driven in snow, it is just something you have to learn how you and your car responds. If you slide steer out of the skid and look where you want to go. Use as little gas and steering as you can to bring car back under control. Traction control will help some with this. You may also want to use econ mode or a lower mode than you do normally.

The whole turning off the traction control I personally do not agree with but since you have no TPMS sensors you cannot turn it off unless you disconnect the Yaw sensor.

I tell all new drivers of a vehicle to take the car to a big open parking lot and practice so you know how the systems in your car work and behave in different conditions. Great opportunity to learn some new skills.

Summary go slower , leave more space , accelerate slower, expect car to slide, steer out of the skid/slide.

Some tire traction devices cannot be used on our cars and can cause damage to the car. I presume you have all season tires.

if you don't have to drive don't, if you are not comfortable driving in the conditions don't do it.

The worst situation I was ever in with my previous car was going out during a bad snow storm and having the car fail and I was stuck against the left side barrier wall on a 6 lane(in both directions) high way for 5 hours and could not get a tow. There was no reason for me to be driving.

If you do not absolutely need to go somewhere don't! if you do need to go out: Make sure your cell phone is fully charged, you have a blanket and or warm clothing in the car in case you get stuck, have snow scraper in the car and if you have to drive a lot in snow have some sand or kitty litter to help get you unstuck(or in a pinch you can throw your floor mat under the wheel). I even have a folding shovel in my car. Clear all glass and lights completely before driving and each time you stop. In some places it is the law to clear the roof of the car. Try to not use a snow brush, it can scratch the paint. I use a soft foam snow tool. Check your air pressure in your tires.

Just be careful!
Thank you for the tips! I definitely used it earlier and it got me to Home Depot safely. 19 minute drive and I did have to take the freeway but lucky snow plowed it really good. Back roads are slippery in some parts but the new tires are definitely handling good in the snow. Glad my air cups is down for the moment, could’ve been bad with the cold freezing temp.

·
Premium Member
7,970 Posts
I have been driving a long time and even lived in Brockport New York for college where it really snows. I have learned over the years many things about driving in bad conditions. It is a learned skill. Just have to remember if you are driving front wheel drive or rear. The more conditions you drive in the more confident you get and the better driver you can become. Glad my tips helped.

One other winter tip. Spray or wipe all door, trunk and hood gaskets with silicone spray and get some of the spray for the outside door lock. I also use white lithium grease on all the latches. Frozen closed doors is not fun. Better to prevent than to have to get the frozen door open.

Thank you for the tips! I definitely used it earlier and it got me to Home Depot safely. 19 minute drive and I did have to take the freeway but lucky snow plowed it really good. Back roads are slippery in some parts but the new tires are definitely handling good in the snow. Glad my air cups is down for the moment, could’ve been bad with the cold freezing temp.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have been driving a long time and even lived in Brockport New York for college where it really snows. I have learned over the years many things about driving in bad conditions. It is a learned skill. Just have to remember if you are driving front wheel drive or rear. The more conditions you drive in the more confident you get and the better driver you can become. Glad my tips helped.

One other winter tip. Spray or wipe all door, trunk and hood gaskets with silicone spray and get some of the spray for the outside door lock. I also use white lithium grease on all the latches. Frozen closed doors is not fun. Better to prevent than to have to get the frozen door open.
Definitely doing the doors but especially the hood because it was so cold that the hood wouldn’t pop open so I had to use one of my plastic trim to wedge between the hood & bumper to pop it a little open. I wish I bought a new 12V battery before things hit the fan. Battery needs replacement. What about the frozen windshield washer?

·
Premium Member
7,970 Posts
For frozen washer fluid you have to wait till temp is above freezing and drain it or run warm water though it ( or fill tank with winter mix and hope that unfreezes it ) drain again and get winter mix. I presume you have summer mix in the tank till it is unfrozen do not run the pump you can damage it, the lines , nozzles and may crack the tank . A long shot would be fill tank with 70 % alcohol and let it sit that might unfreeze it. you will still need to drain and refill with winter mix.

Good luck I have not had frozen a windshield washer system in years but have done it.

Definitely doing the doors but especially the hood because it was so cold that the hood wouldn’t pop open so I had to use one of my plastic trim to wedge between the hood & bumper to pop it a little open. I wish I bought a new 12V battery before things hit the fan. Battery needs replacement. What about the frozen windshield washer?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Bumped the shark fin while washing the car and it popped off. Couldn't decide what glue to use so i alternated. Epoxy on the screw studs and pea size drop of silicone between each stud. Holding strong now.

·
Registered
2011 CR-Z GT-Navi Milano Red
255 Posts
Bumped the shark fin while washing the car and it popped off.
Another shark fin related story...I just finished respraying the fin with plastidip after a fox was running over my car 😫 and completely scratched it. Luckily plastidip prevented it from bigger damage. The rest of sprayed roof luckily wasn't damaged...

9341 - 9360 of 9378 Posts