Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
9281 - 9300 of 9334 Posts

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Idle adjustment? That's all handled by the ECU, there is nothing to adjust.
The cabin filter should last a lot more than 5 weeks, it is normal for them to change from out-of-the-package white to grayish after a short time so don't replace it for that. Loose debris like leaves can be shaken out and a portable vacuum with a crevice tool can clean between the pleats. This can be done every few months unless you live next to a coal plant or an active volcano. Replacing the filter when the time comes is a quick DIY so don't pay a shop for that.
Plugs if they're due can be replaced with OEM or an equivalent, "upgrade" plugs aren't needed and won't do much more than a new set of OEM's.
thanks for the mansplaining—you are incorrect on all counts

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Time for new pads and rotors. My car has 165K miles. Car could use new control arms and bushings but there are no parts to be found at present and no estimated date :(
Getting new upgraded Denso spark plugs and idle adjustment since the cat converter replacement. And cabin air filter is already filthy after 5 weeks. $1600 sheesh.
$1600 for brakes, cabin filter and plugs or...? It seems pretty excessive. Unless that's just Cali prices in which case, yeah, still excessive.

·
Registered
124 Posts
thanks for the mansplaining—you are incorrect on all counts
You got ripped off by the shop but at least they didn't tell you the truth. Sorry I mean "mansplain" it. They just took your $1600. I'll take your money too and I won't mention the ECU sets the idle speed automatically by itself, "upgraded" spark plugs is a rip-off game, and they probably would have charged you another two grand to replace other stuff you don't need but luckily it was out of stock.

Can get new pads and rotors for a few hundred bucks installed at any brake service joint.

Happy to get ripped off, mad at mansplaining lol

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Hey lets chill out a moment. Anyone would be pissed off having to pay that much for whatever it is they claim was done and piling on doesn't really help. I agree that it sounds like this place is questionable but lets get to the bottom of it.

If you want to share the invoice with personal info omitted or just type out everything they itemized we'd be happy to look it over and see what exactly they said was done.

·
Administrator
7,871 Posts
When I had my pads and rotors replaced in February I paid less than $150 including shipping and tax then just paid labor to have them installed. If I had bought everything from the dealer it would have cost more due to mark up. In CA even more. Cost of labor varies a lot all over the country and then you have to worry if they know what they are doing. Simple things like filters and wiper blades I do myself once a year. OEM specified plugs I think are just fine. The "upgraded" plugs are all hype unless you have changed the engine or other wise modified the car. But this is all my opinion and what I do with my own vehicle.

For your vehicle you do what you feel is right but I know and this is sexist but I know it is true many times a lady gets her car worked on and they pay more same when having shirts dry cleaned. Females pay more. Many have mentioned that here when it comes to car repairs. Learn the word no, you want the service listed in the Service history book and nothing more no additives, no extra cleanings just the maintenance listed that Honda lists (maybe more often , but no extra services). Everything else is just giving them money for their profit.

·
Registered
290 Posts
FWIW regardless of how the shops and dealers treat you, WE will only give honest and gender-neutral advice, which is what I was doing when I posted. Heck, I use the forum on my phone with Tapatalk and I wasn't even paying attention to who posted, I was just replying to the content and not the poster.
We are all here for the same reason, because we bought these strange little cars. Gender and other differences don't matter and besides you can't see those on the internet (unless someone wants you to). Actually, you just assumed I'm a guy- ;)
Anyway enough straying from the purpose of this thread, so back to topic.
What did I do to mine today? Got it inspected ($37, thanks NY State) and drove it to get lunch, where I'm sitting now posting this. That's about it.

·
Registered
2016 EX CVT Purple
30 Posts
2016 the radios were completely different from the other years from what I have read here. The 2016 radio all versions had streaming for instance.
So my Bluetooth Streaming isn't normal for the rest of you? Man I feel bad! We had a 2017 Fit and this radio feels almost the same as that one. I thought it was just a normal mid/late 2010's Honda radio. Even down to the funky HDMI input.

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
775 Posts
AFAIK the CR-Z uses double iridium plugs, which are the highest 'tier' plug available, there isn't a better spark plug than that.

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
775 Posts
The marketers disagree, apparently rubidium plugs are better. ;)
List on the OEM iridiums is nuts, around $40-50 per plug. I found them at Rock Auto for under $12 each.
I found them at AutoZone for like $9 each. Spark plugs seem to be one of those items where people try to reinvent them and sell them as some magic device made of unicorn nail clippings or something.

·
Administrator
7,871 Posts
That is correct even the trim levels were renamed for 2016. All other years it was base, EX, ex with navigation. 2016 they are EX, EX-L with navigation and LX. Prior years partial leather partial cloth. 2016 and I maybe wrong the LX has full leather seating. I posted the specifications for 2016s recently in one of the audio threads. The lack of streaming on the base and EX radio has been discussed a lot over in the In Car Entertainment (ICE) threads. Here are the 3 groups of specifications for others for future reference. 2016 was a one year model with different radio, HDMI port, lane watch, different interior , push to start/proximity key, electric parking brake, wider track in the rear, Etc. Many parts from 2013-15 will fit others are unique to 2016. Even some parts are usable from all years.

So my Bluetooth Streaming isn't normal for the rest of you? Man I feel bad! We had a 2017 Fit and this radio feels almost the same as that one. I thought it was just a normal mid/late 2010's Honda radio. Even down to the funky HDMI input.

·
Registered
2016 EX CVT Purple
30 Posts
That is correct even the trim levels were renamed for 2016. All other years it was base, EX, ex with navigation. 2016 they are EX, EX-L with navigation and LX. Prior years partial leather partial cloth. 2016 and I maybe wrong the LX has full leather seating. I posted the specifications for 2016s recently in one of the audio threads. The lack of streaming on the base and EX radio has been discussed a lot over in the In Car Entertainment (ICE) threads. Here are the 3 groups of specifications for others for future reference. 2016 was a one year model with different radio, HDMI port, lane watch, different interior , push to start/proximity key, electric parking brake, wider track in the rear, Etc. Many parts from 2013-15 will fit others are unique to 2016. Even some parts are usable from all years.
LX is the base. EX is mid trim. EX-L is top trim. The "L" is for Leather seats(at least when we bought our Fit in 2017 thats the way it was explained to us). The EX-L had heated leather seats and Navigation.

9281 - 9300 of 9334 Posts