Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

9001 - 9020 of 9034 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
When I got mine last year @85K the passenger handle was pre-broken, it still worked but didn't spring back against the door and had to be pushed in. I replaced it before it could fail completely.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts

This.... this is what I’m doing today. They can make an engine that runs for 200k-300k miles with basic maintenance but can’t design a door handle.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you go by the number of forum posts and believe what facebook says, than none of us would be able to open our doors and Honda would have issued a recall or at least a Technical Bulletin years ago already. Is this really that common of an issue? And if so, why hasn't Honda been taken to task for it yet?

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you go by the number of forum posts and believe what facebook says, than none of us would be able to open our doors and Honda would have issued a recall or at least a Technical Bulletin years ago already. Is this really that common of an issue? And if so, why hasn't Honda been taken to task for it yet?
My wife had a GMC Acadia when they first came out. Coil packs had to keep getting replace ( After original warranty was up of course) so I asked the head mechanic why isn’t there a recall. He told me that this was a known issue with the Acadia but basically if it doesn’t cause death or bodily harm (litigation is what their worried about) they wont recall. Not sure if this is really true but would sound about right.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
if it doesn’t cause death or bodily harm (litigation is what their worried about) they wont recall. Not sure if this is really true but would sound about right.
that's usually the case for out-of-warranty convenience failures. all it's going to take is a rescuer ripping the door handle off in a crash though.

It gets even worse on low-production cars.

Hell, we aren't included in the rusted axle recall despite using the exact same vibration damper on our axles.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
The frequency, number and the fact that they were breaking during the production run of the car should be enough to justify if not a recall, at least a TSB. I just wonder if not enough of the door handles breaking have been reported to Honda. It seems that we lose about one or two a week but end up fixing it ourselves. The CR-Z community is a little more DIY leaning compared to most of the car world. Maybe it's because we're all a bunch of cheap bastards except for when it comes to aftermarket parts that make our cars LOOK fast.😉 Comparing this to the Acadia problems, Honda historically has been a bit more quality conscious than GM. I had a GMC Jimmy with the 4.3 L V6 that bent a rod and killed itself at 168,000 miles. Talking to dealerships and other GM owners they all say yep that was a known issue with the vortecs. So it doesn't surprise me that GM doesn't care, it does surprise me a little that Honda doesn't care about these issues. And as far as the axles go, that's a different situation altogether. There's been what, less than probably 10 that we've heard about on a CR-Z in the U.S. over an 11+ year lifespan? Not saying it's not a serious problem but is so rare compared to the door handle situation.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
"Take the number of vehicles in the field: A, multiply by the probable rate of failure: B, then multiply the result by the average out of court settlement: C.

AxBxC=X

If X is less than the cost of a recall, they don't do one." 🧼

·
Super Moderator
6,964 Posts
planned obsolescence

1. a policy of producing consumer goods that rapidly become obsolete and so require replacing, achieved by frequent changes in design, termination of the supply of spare parts, and the use of non-durable materials.
"Take the number of vehicles in the field: A, multiply by the probable rate of failure: B, then multiply the result by the average out of court settlement: C.

AxBxC=X

If X is less than the cost of a recall, they don't do one." 🧼

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
And as far as the axles go, that's a different situation altogether. There's been what, less than probably 10 that we've heard about on a CR-Z in the U.S. over an 11+ year lifespan?
so with the other cars that are included on the axle recall, they are going as far back as 2007, and it's only in the so-called salt belt states. so it's not like this is something that we are close to seeing the worst of at only 10y old for the oldest CRZ, and you've got people that put their CRZ away for the winter.

Here's a link with pics of my axles at 140k and 7 winters in Indiana and Illinois.
CRZ axle corrosion damage

·
Registered
301 Posts
It seems like the paint on either side of the rubber damper is a good indication of the rust under the damper. So far, all pictures I see of broken/rusted shafts show rust next to the damper too. Has anyone had a broken shaft while the paint on the shaft (next to the damper) was still in good shape without visible rust?

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
so with the other cars that are included on the axle recall, they are going as far back as 2007, and it's only in the so-called salt belt states. so it's not like this is something that we are close to seeing the worst of at only 10y old for the oldest CRZ, and you've got people that put their CRZ away for the winter.

Here's a link with pics of my axles at 140k and 7 winters in Indiana and Illinois.
CRZ axle corrosion damage
I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just saying that statistically I can understand why Honda and the government aren't pushing the recall on the CR-Z for the axles. My initial question was more about whether the door handles are failing as often as members of this forum and the FB groups want us to think they are and if so why isn't Honda doing anything about it, or is it really not that big of a deal?

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just saying that statistically I can understand why Honda and the government aren't pushing the recall on the CR-Z for the axles. My initial question was more about whether the door handles are failing as often as members of this forum and the FB groups want us to think they are and if so why isn't Honda doing anything about it, or is it really not that big of a deal?
So there's not any numbers available on how many axles have snapped on the recalled cars. My point was more that they should be looking at the parts involved and recalling all applications, not just the ones that have had failures.

For the door handles, I think they just aren't on honda's radar as far as being a common failure

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
So there's not any numbers available on how many axles have snapped on the recalled cars. My point was more that they should be looking at the parts involved and recalling all applications, not just the ones that have had failures.

For the door handles, I think they just aren't on honda's radar as far as being a common failure
Time to lawyer up!

·
Registered
843 Posts
With the help of a local friend I upgraded my pioneer headunit to a Seicane 9" unit. The screen is MASSIVE and I can actually read the text. My original plan was to hook up my Hondata tuner to the unit and use the Hondata app but it won't connect for some reason. Good thing I had an old usb obd2 plug that worked perfectly with the torque app.

·
Registered
2012 Sport / manual / NSBP
229 Posts
Well, I had to replace mine, at 90k km and when I was taking it out, I'm pretty sure it was already replaced at least once by previous owner - one of the bolts was damaged and I had to drill the head of the bolt to remove it.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Well, I had to replace mine, at 90k km and when I was taking it out, I'm pretty sure it was already replaced at least once by previous owner - one of the bolts was damaged and I had to drill the head of the bolt to remove it.
Did you report it to Honda?

·
Registered
137 Posts
So far so good, the air cups for the front hasn’t failed me yet during my weekly driving routine where I really need the air up. Safe to say I can finally put an order in for a Mugen lip or CWest bumper without having to worry about cracking the lip or the bottom of the bumper no more.

·
Registered
2012 Sport / manual / NSBP
229 Posts
Did you report it to Honda?
No, how can I even report it? It's used car, out of warranty. Honda would not fix it for free. I've ordered the handle from Japan and replaced it myself, not through the Honda service, so I've only paid ~120USD including shipping, tax and customs. Honda probably knows it, they sell the parts, so they should see that people are buying the handles more than they should, but they will not make any move to fix it without the lawsuit.

9001 - 9020 of 9034 Posts