Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

8981 - 9000 of 9034 Posts

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Cool! I didn’t know that. However, not the same as EU-spec, since the LEDs don’t go across the full width of the headlight unit. So Honda made at least 3 types of headlights, including the no-LED variant.
Holy crap, you're right, the global ones went full width and ours are only like 2/3 width. DUMB 8 different versions of the headlight over the years. I wonder how much R&D was wasted making different versions of just the headlights.
  • US version with halogen projectors and reflector running lights
  • US version with Xenon projectors and reflector running lights
  • US version with Xenon projectors and LED running lights
  • Global version with halogen projectors and LED running lights
    • subset with RHD projector cutoffs
  • Global version with Xenon projectors and LED running lights
    • Subset with RHD projector cutoffs.
  • JDM-only 2016 Jewel-Eye full LED

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
570 Posts
Holy crap, you're right, the global ones went full width and ours are only like 2/3 width. DUMB 8 different versions of the headlight over the years. I wonder how much R&D was wasted making different versions of just the headlights.
  • US version with halogen projectors and reflector running lights
  • US version with Xenon projectors and reflector running lights
  • US version with Xenon projectors and LED running lights
  • Global version with halogen projectors and LED running lights
    • subset with RHD projector cutoffs
  • Global version with Xenon projectors and LED running lights
    • Subset with RHD projector cutoffs.
  • JDM-only 2016 Jewel-Eye full LED
Didn't know that either, I'll pay attention next time I see a non-U.S CR-Z. However, most of the headlight is most likely the same for all regions. The part where the DRLs live is, as far as I can tell, a little shroud in the very front of the headlight. Honda would just need to make a different shroud which should work in all headlights. Same goes for the projectors, they are their own separate piece that screws into a metal bracket inside the headlight. It's even easier to convert from LHD to RHD since the piece that makes that cutoff line is a simple piece of stamped metal, which I imagine is the same for all projectors. The only exception to this would be the 2016 JDM LED headlights, which likely don't share anything with the old headlights. The front clear lens is different since the little bump where the turn signal is is located on a different spot. The rear housing would also be different since there's no need to have holes for bulb replacement, and obviously the insides would be completely different. Also, they're more like Honda's LED lights found on the Civic and Accord which use a bunch of tiny reflectors, and less like Acura's Jewel Eye headlights wich use 5 or 7 little projectors.

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
570 Posts
Just finished painting my calipers and rotors black. The calipers are that ygly silver color and were pretty discolored, and the rotors were pretty rusty (at least for Florida) and didn't look nice. I gotta admit I did a pretty lazy job but it turned out great, I just hit the calipers and rotors with a wire wheel, threw a cut trash bag on the hub assembly, masked any rubber boots and the caliper piston and applied 3 coats of VHT Caliper Paint I didn't even bother masking the rotors which made the brakes kinda stick when I stopped. A bit of power braking fixed the problem though. Brakes look much better now and don't stand out, they kinda blend in with the black wheels.

Before:

After:

·
Registered
2011 CR-Z EX CVT
32 Posts
View attachment 63839

View attachment 63840

Afaik, install was really straight forward but I don't have any details on it as I took it to a place. Ohh one issue (which I knew about before buying) was the hazard and passenger airbag have to be modified to fit if installing on a non-nav model. Also the screen is a smudge magnet as you can probably see and has a blue-ish/purple edge color (supposedly to help with glare).
wow that looks stellar! i may have to get one soon, as ive been looking for something to bring my non-nav equipped z's interior up to date, thanks for the info and pics!

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Honda Motor Company Executive 1: Hey do we have like a low-stock alert system thingy to monitor the supply and availability of parts for the cars... that we've already sold?
Honda Motor Company Executive 1: Hey do we have like a low-stock alert system thingy to monitor the supply and availability of parts for the cars... that we've already sold?

Honda Motor Company Executive 2: Uhh, what heck are you talking about?

Honda Motor Company Executive 1: You know like when the availability of certain specific and critical parts gets to a certain point we redistribute parts from one place to another for example or manufacture more of said part before the supply completely runs out?

Honda Motor Company Executive 2: No. Why hell would we do that. Stop asking questions. We only care about selling new cars, the ones already out there can get ****ed!
Any particular part or dealer you're having an issue with? Or just venting in general?😉

·
Registered
137 Posts
Here’s a preview before my friend finishes up the air cups installation for the front.

Update of the trunk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
In a Z? Impressive 😂
Kidding; I got my first and only ticket in my z about 2 years ago. Rarely gone more than 5mph over ever since.
haha yea, I've been driving our MDX for the last 4months and the perception of speed is way different from an SUV to a compact lol.. I thought I was going roughly the speed limit. I was not. Wrote me for 70/55.

·
Registered
2011 CR-Z EX CVT
32 Posts
haha yea, I've been driving our MDX for the last 4months and the perception of speed is way different from an SUV to a compact lol.. I thought I was going roughly the speed limit. I was not. Wrote me for 70/55.
pretty close to my ticket at 68/55 ( i was doing 73 but due to being compliant and being a new driver with no record the friendly pig cut me some slack, not sure what difference 5mph made though :p )

·
Super Moderator
6,964 Posts
Above a certain speed considered reckless and much higher penaties up to car impound and or loss of license even on a first offense.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
pretty close to my ticket at 68/55 ( i was doing 73 but due to being compliant and being a new driver with no record the friendly pig cut me some slack, not sure what difference 5mph made though :p )
at least in Indiana, the ticket is $10 more and another point on your license. I think I'll pony up the extra cash to go for the deferral program (be good for 6mo and no points)
Above a certain speed considered reckless and much higher penaties up to car impound and or loss of license even on a first offense.
You also live in VA which is one of the hardest states on speeding.

In indiana it's not reckless until 30+ over the limit... and even then they might write you a ticket for it. If they pin you with criminal recklessness though, that's in impound and suspension that you'd have to fight in criminal court, not traffic court.

·
Super Moderator
6,964 Posts
Laws vary, it was more of a general statement of worst case situation. I have not had any tickets in years. The defensive driving courses are similar all over and are always worth taking every X number of years when you can to eliminate points and or get a discount on your insurance.
at least in Indiana, the ticket is $10 more and another point on your license. I think I'll pony up the extra cash to go for the deferral program (be good for 6mo and no points)

You also live in VA which is one of the hardest states on speeding.

In indiana it's not reckless until 30+ over the limit... and even then they might write you a ticket for it. If they pin you with criminal recklessness though, that's in impound and suspension that you'd have to fight in criminal court, not traffic court.

8981 - 9000 of 9034 Posts