Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

8561 - 8580 of 8614 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,946 Posts
I love my Bissell carpet cleaner and I can use it for the car and for the carpets in my home but it costs a little more than the spot cleaner posted above. They have materials for carpet and for hard floors. Laundry detergent is the wrong cleaning material at least use a spray upholstery cleaner and a shop vac or one of the cleaners from above and its associated upholstery cleaner.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Yeah, it looked like it would have been a good purchase (I looked through Bissell's stuff on Amazon).

Then my mom hopped in and mention buying a steam cleaner so she can use it around the house.

This specifically SteamFast Multi-Purpose Canister Steam Cleaner-SF-370WH - The Home Depot

The Bissell Little Green ProHeat is still in my shopping list in case I need to return the steam cleaner but... Hope it has comparable results in and outside the car

·
Super Moderator
5,946 Posts
I have a Wagner Steam cleaner too. Different tools for different purposes. Always use distilled water in a steam cleaner. Steam cleaner is more for hard surfaces like tiles , counter tops, bathrooms and car rims. Steam cleaner can also be used to remove wallpaper and defrost freezers. Carpet cleaner is for Upholstery , carpet and floors with the adaptor that lifts the brushes off the tile.

I own the non pet older version of this carpet cleaner

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yeah, it looked like it would have been a good purchase (I looked through Bissell's stuff on Amazon).

Then my mom hopped in and mention buying a steam cleaner so she can use it around the house.

This specifically SteamFast Multi-Purpose Canister Steam Cleaner-SF-370WH - The Home Depot

The Bissell Little Green ProHeat is still in my shopping list in case I need to return the steam cleaner but... Hope it has comparable results in and outside the car
I would honestly buy both because they both do different things for different situations. It’ll come in handy car & household wise. The Bissell I bought is from Target for $119 but it’s probably the same at other places. I also just ordered the drill brush from amazon so I can agitate the carpet & seats to pull pull more dirt out next time I clean it again. You should watch YouTube videos of some people using the Bissell machine & steamer when they do the car detail so you can see the difference.

Drillbrush Automotive Soft White Drill Brush - Leather Cleaner - Car Wash Kit - Car Cleaning Supplies - Wheel Cleaner Brush - Car Detailing Kit – Car Carpet - Interior, Vinyl, Seat Cleaner https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DQTG4WD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_noxqFbRSVJMN1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
105 Posts
I would honestly buy both because they both do different things for different situations. It’ll come in handy car & household wise. The Bissell I bought is from Target for $119 but it’s probably the same at other places. I also just ordered the drill brush from amazon so I can agitate the carpet & seats to pull pull more dirt out next time I clean it again. You should watch YouTube videos of some people using the Bissell machine & steamer when they do the car detail so you can see the difference.

Drillbrush Automotive Soft White Drill Brush - Leather Cleaner - Car Wash Kit - Car Cleaning Supplies - Wheel Cleaner Brush - Car Detailing Kit – Car Carpet - Interior, Vinyl, Seat Cleaner https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DQTG4WD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_noxqFbRSVJMN1

I didn’t want to post these but I rather be honest how it looked before & after cleaning. I feel embarrassed but here’s the before/after photos once I used the Bissell cleaner.

·
Registered
2012 Sport / manual / NSBP
151 Posts
This weekend I finally installed heated seats.
I was able to find OEM connectors (thanks @NeeDCrafT21 ), prepared all the wiring, took everything out of the car, cleaned under and over the floor carpet with vacuum cleaner, put in the new wiring under the carpet next to the OEM seat wiring and held it with zip ties. Then I connected everything and it worked... well almost...
Passenger seat - 100% working,
Driver seat - only the back support was working and only in HI mode (which is expected if the seat mat is broken, in LO mode they are connected in series)

The next day (sunday), I disconnected the plug and measured the wiring with a multimeter - everything was fine, so I took the seat out again. Then I measured resistance of both seat mats. The back support mat has only 2 wires and the resistance between them is around 6Ohm. The seat mat has 3 wires, black, white and yellow. The resistance between black and yellow was 1 Ohm (which is weird, but more about it later) and the resistance between black and white was infinite, so I assumed the mat was broken (and indeed it was)

1598210482031.png

I disassembled the seat to replace the mat, removed the old mat to replace it with a new one (the aftermarket mat that I've bought earlier finally found some use).
1598210546426.png

But... the old mat had 3 wires, while the new one only have 2. That's because there's no thermostat in the back support in the OEM mats and both mats are connected to a single thermostat. If I just connected the new mat without the OEM themostat, the back support would heat up until it burned. The OEM thermostat is sandwitched between the seat and the back support, so it can stop the flow of current when the back support heats up too much. There's few centimeters of resistive wire with a thermostat glued to it (remember that yellow wire with 1 Ohm resistance?) and then the current splits to seat mat and back support mat after the thermostat. I couldn't really tap into the new mat's thermostat, so I had to repurpose the old one. I cut the mat after the thermostat and soldered the new mat to where the resistive wire started on both ends.
1598210953063.png 1598210974215.png

Also, while the seat was disassembled, I was able to wash the cover in washing machine:
1598211028785.png

After that, reassembled everything, mounted it back in the car, connected and finally it's working :)
1598211133121.png 1598211152036.png

And finally the seat is clean :) I still have to do something with back support, it's not as stained as the seat was, but still...

Some old photo with the driver's seat:
1598211451504.png
And after:
1598211115013.png

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Halt, your armrest... Where'd you get a black "lid." I may want to.... Add this to my shopping list...

And jeez, looking like we having a clean up on cloth seats streak here!
yea, I think I know what my weekend is gonna be... my seats are nasty compared to the After photos here.

Also, the leather on the armrests is pretty low quality, so I think a lot of people have taken the lid to an upholstery place to get it redone.

·
Registered
476 Posts
yea, I think I know what my weekend is gonna be...

... taken the lid to an upholstery place to get it redone.
Welcome to the party :p

Well, looks like I know what I'm trying to do before September! Time to search for one in the GTA.

... I wonder if I can get a clear/translucent shift boot made from an upholstery place... Dreams.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Halt, your armrest... Where'd you get a black "lid." I may want to.... Add this to my shopping list...

And jeez, looking like we having a clean up on cloth seats streak here!
Well, I live in EU and OEM armrests are almost not available here (unless you are super lucky). Importing new from the US costs a fortune, so I found mine used on ebay for 120USD (+ shipping and customs), but the lid was completly worn out, so I took it to upholestry and ordered black cloth with blue stitches. That didn't cost much, like ~12USD.

Also, one more photo during the day (yesterday was already dark when I finished reinstalling the seat).

·
Registered
2015 Honda CR-Z Base MT PWP
28 Posts
Welcome to the party :p

Well, looks like I know what I'm trying to do before September! Time to search for one in the GTA.

... I wonder if I can get a clear/translucent shift boot made from an upholstery place... Dreams.
Try contacting a store on Etsy. This is my current shift boot. It's blue tie dyed corduroy and I got it from Knightshifts on Etsy. They definitely do custom work too.

·
Registered
233 Posts
My seats and door panels are just about as bad and they need some love.

1. How hard is it to get the covers off?
2. What kind of detergent did you use to get these results?!?!

A year or so ago, I took my armrest off and took it to the upholstery shop in town and they sewed a leather cover for it. Seems like it was about $20 or $30. Looks pretty darn good and will never wear out like the last one.

·
Registered
151 Posts
My seats and door panels are just about as bad and they need some love.

1. How hard is it to get the covers off?
2. What kind of detergent did you use to get these results?!?!
1. Not that hard if you have some metal cutting tool. I didn't have one that is strong enough, so I had to bend out metal circles that hold the cover on the foam.

I don't have photos of the whole process, but I can try to explain more or less in steps.

• take the seat out of the car (Remove 4 bolts that hold it to the chassis, roll it slightly on the back and unplug the wires (also I would suggest to unplug the 12V battery first, there are airbags in the seats so it might be a good idea to avoid accidental explosion). There are 2 plastic clips that you have to remove too that attach the wiring harness to the seat)
  • take out plastic cover (the one with attached levers) - you don't have to take it out fully, but at least remove screw that is under the lever and 2 clips in the front, then you can loose it. In driver's seat, you also have to take out the cover from the height adjustment lever and there are 2 more bolts to remove, then you can take the lever out.
  • now, on the bottom of the seat, there are some plastic clips that hold the whole bottom foam with fabric. Just take off all the clips and zip ties that hold the wires and you should be able to take out the whole bottom foam from the frame.
  • When the foam is out of the seat, unroll the edges of the fabric from the foam. Now you have to go slowly one by one and cut the metal clips that are holding the fabric on the foam. Once you finish, the fabric will be removed.
To reattach the cover, use zip-ties, first drag the zip-ties through all of the original mounting points (where the metal circles were before, under the long metal bars that are molded inside the foam), then start attaching it the opposite way, starting from the inside and going out. Then reverse the first process, put the foam on the frame and attach all the clips on the bottom, use new zip-ties to hold the wires, etc.

I didn't have to remove the back support yet, but the process should be similar. I would say, it's an hour to two hours per seat if you have the correct tools and know already what to do. First time it might take you longer and it took me way longer bending the circles with pliers and screwdriver. I would just go to the store and buy better and bigger cutting pliers, but it was sunday, the shops were closed (thanks government) and I really wanted to finish it before the end of the weekend.

...but I wouldn't do it to just clean the seats. That was just a bonus, because I had to replace broken heating mat, so since I have already removed the cover, I could put in in the washing machine.

2. Just standard laundry pod, nothing fancy:

·
Super Moderator
5,946 Posts
Those rings are called Hog rings and you can purchase them and a Pliers to install them if you want to go back to OEM installation but Zip ties are fine.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I would leave the lamps as is and use something to protect them from UV. For example, quickly wax them every 2-3 months. That’s what I do with Collinite No. 845.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Looks new already
Still needs to work on some parts of the headlights that still has some build up but only noticeable up close. The ones near the bump on the headlights are notorious I worked that area much as I could. I need to get some chemical guys jet seal so it could prevent it yellowing overtime.

Here’s the before after photos of the passenger side.

8561 - 8580 of 8614 Posts