Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

8481 - 8500 of 8614 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Sport / manual / NSBP
151 Posts
Can you tell a big difference in the road noise? Was it worth the effort? I would think that doing the roof would help with the noise control also.
Definitely quieter at lower speeds, not so much at higher speeds because the engine noise takes over. I'm currently ordering few more parts that I want to install under the dashboard and in the seats, so I will be silencing the front firewall too when I take out seats and carpets. I think the front of the car will make the biggest difference at higher speeds, so I'm considering 2 layers in few places

·
Registered
151 Posts
On those car shows on TV they talk about attaching pieces of the sound deadening material to damp the vibrations across a panel. You do not have to cover a whole panel just a percentage of it. Just something to consider.
That's correct, the bigger the area without dampening material, the lower the frequency it can resonate. The priority is to cover large flat pieces of metal, without any structural reinforcements because these elements can transfer the most of the low frequency sound waves. You can in theory leave a gap around the dampening material, a 1, 2 cm gap will not make a difference, but the more you leave, the lower the frequency that can leak inside.
You should on the other hand cover as much as possible, even structural elements with a foam, because foam is good at absorbing high frequencies and even small surfaces can resonate at high frequencies. Foam is also very light, so it doesn't impact weight.

That's why my rear fenders sound differently when I knock on them, even if I wasn't able to reach full length inside of them, but the further away from the dampening element I knock, the more it can resonate. Still, even not dampened part furthest away from the butyl is more silent than before.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I used some stuff called Tite Seal (read more about it here) on the doors. At least on my CR-Z, it feels like a door is ajar or a window is slightly open when going at highway speeds. The Tite Seal removed this feeling, but didn't reduce noise very much.
That's more or less the same stuff that I've used. Also, use only closed cell foam inside the door, water leaks there during the rainfall and open cell foam can absorb it, while closed cell foam will not.

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
319 Posts
Definitely quieter at lower speeds, not so much at higher speeds because the engine noise takes over. I'm currently ordering few more parts that I want to install under the dashboard and in the seats, so I will be silencing the front firewall too when I take out seats and carpets. I think the front of the car will make the biggest difference at higher speeds, so I'm considering 2 layers in few places
Huh, interesting. For me, the issue at higher speeds is tire noise. Engine noise isn't bad, and I really don't mind it either. This ain't a Rolls Royce, after all.

I definitely want to invest in some closed cell foam, though. In your experience, which panel is the loudest? I would imagine that it's either the floor or the doors

·
Registered
151 Posts
Huh, interesting. For me, the issue at higher speeds is tire noise. Engine noise isn't bad, and I really don't mind it either. This ain't a Rolls Royce, after all.

I definitely want to invest in some closed cell foam, though. In your experience, which panel is the loudest? I would imagine that it's either the floor or the doors
Out of all that I did so far, I think the biggest improvements were the floor under the rear bench and the front doors. With one front door already finished and the other one not, I could hear more sound in my left ear, so it definitely does something.

The engine noise takes over at highway speeds, around 140 kph and makes it harder to talk with a passenger and that's what I want to eliminate next. Up to 100 kph it's pretty quiet now.

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
319 Posts
Out of all that I did so far, I think the biggest improvements were the floor under the rear bench and the front doors. With one front door already finished and the other one not, I could hear more sound in my left ear, so it definitely does something.

The engine noise takes over at highway speeds, around 140 kph and makes it harder to talk with a passenger and that's what I want to eliminate next. Up to 100 kph it's pretty quiet now.
Thanks.

I wonder if our differing experiences with noise has to do with the bench. I assume your car has a rear seat, which is a giant, thick slab of foam. But my car, being U.S spec, just has a thin molded piece of plastic with a small piece of cloth underneath. No doubt the foam seat absorbs lots of the higher frequencies I am hearing.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Thanks.

I wonder if our differing experiences with noise has to do with the bench. I assume your car has a rear seat, which is a giant, thick slab of foam. But my car, being U.S spec, just has a thin molded piece of plastic with a small piece of cloth underneath. No doubt the foam seat absorbs lots of the higher frequencies I am hearing.
What about the roads? Most of the highways in Poland are pretty new and looks like this Google Maps

·
Registered
769 Posts
Got my 70mm Sprintex pulley in the mail today. I still need to get a 2 bar MAP sensor, water meth injection kit and possibly bigger injectors. I'm not sure if the Accord V6 injectors have enough duty left to run the smaller pulley.

·
Registered
105 Posts
My Stanceparts air cup kit arrived today! Can’t wait to get these installed in a couple of weeks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
151 Posts
Thanks.

Today I've been on a road trip and recorded few seconds at higher speeds. Make sure to play it on a good speakers with some bass, otherwise you will only hear high pitch sound, which is not an engine. Also, I've switched the gear from 5th to 6th at 6th second of the video, so if you can hear it then the speakers are ok. I'll try to record another part when I finish front of the car.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Sounds much more quiet than mine. I never run 100MPH but I would imagine mine would have much more noise. Nice work making the car quiet. I need to work on mine some.

·
Registered
184 Posts
About time you put some of those parts on the car; I think there are a few more sitting in boxes on the garage floor that you have to attend to before the Dragon Meet. I'll break quarantine to help you out, if needed.
Is the Tail of the Dragon meet up still on this year with the social distancing and COVID-19 & 20 epidemic?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Cancelled in general. Too many employers are enforcing the quarantine measures for those of us would have to cross state lines.

·
Premium Member
5,958 Posts
Is the Tail of the Dragon meet up still on this year with the social distancing and COVID-19 & 20 epidemic?
Yeah, what @SolidDuck said.... Maybe try and see what's happening in a few months. I am still free to go, but it would just be a Friday/Saturday quick-trip (an eight hour drive one way, so it would be a last minute choice to scurry on down for some runs.) So, there's a smaller chance I'd be there; a greater chance if I know someone else will be there too, but I didn't realize it was coming up next weekend already. :) >>

·
Registered
769 Posts
Yeah, what @SolidDuck said.... Maybe try and see what's happening in a few months. I am still free to go, but it would just be a Friday/Saturday quick-trip (an eight hour drive one way, so it would be a last minute choice to scurry on down for some runs.) So, there's a smaller chance I'd be there; a greater chance if I know someone else will be there too, but I didn't realize it was coming up next weekend already. :) >>
Honuracrew is doing a meet on Sept 5 but it's only a 1 day thing. I'm thinking about staying for Saturday and Sunday and leaving Monday. There is a hotel in robbinsville that we could potentially get rooms at.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I am both sad and relieved, because if it wasn't cancelled I would have still missed cause of my leg....and I really don't want to miss any.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

8481 - 8500 of 8614 Posts