Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

8201 - 8220 of 8307 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Took the CR-Z to an abandoned parking lot, to try finally having some sporty fun on my own with Honda's sport hybrid, since I only ever use it as a commuter. It was a blast! At first, I was scared by the fact that this parking lot has lots of trees and parking stumps to watch out for, but then just imagined them as slalom obstacles and I really enjoyed the experience of ripping around the place like I'm driving a go-kart. It's the first time I really understood the expression "burning rubber" in this context, as I smelled it not long after beginning, and the tires themselves did look obviously affected after it was all said and done (as though a top layer of rubber was charred off).

I'm not a pro driver, so I never took off traction control, but I really would like to do so one day. It comes into affect even when all I do is quick acceleration, so I expected it to kick in a lot here, which it did. I do wonder if I would've been able to get the car to spin.. I've heard the car can be enticed into oversteer because of the IMA battery's weight, though just from looking at it I never figured it was so heavy compared to the rest of the car, so not sure. Perhaps I'll try the lot again without traction control in the future after I get used to all the turns.
20200123_173458.jpg

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I've heard the car can be enticed into oversteer because of the IMA battery's weight, though just from looking at it I never figured it was so heavy compared to the rest of the car, so not sure.
Let's just say that oversteer is definitely "possible" 😉

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I'm not a pro driver, so I never took off traction control, but I really would like to do so one day.
I would strongly encourage you to take off VSA (traction/stability control) and get used to how the car handles. You can actually pretty easily get it to oversteer with VSA off, especially if you modify your suspension and pick some sticky tires. It does settle pretty readily with just backing out of the throttle. It ranges from "hey cool, this is fun to do on purpose" to "sweet mercy, I don't want to die today"

That's not to say VSA is bad. It's saved my bacon a couple times in regular driving circumstances and in reduced traction situations like rain/ice/snow. I only turn it off on dry days when I plan to drive hard.

You seemed to be eager to come back to the dragon, and I know from first-hand experience that if you are really pushing in on the dragon that VSA will flip its shit and actually work against you. Something about the curves and rapid pitch/roll changes really confuses it... particularly in "Gravity Cavity" for those that know it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I would strongly encourage you to take off VSA (traction/stability control) and get used to how the car handles.
That is the plan, though I'll have to pace myself. I considered it before the parking lot practice, but ultimately decided against it, since it was the first time I'd tried something like that and I didn't want to drive beyond my means. Actually, another reason I even tried this in the first place was because I figured it'd help to get a feel of what the car does during such violent turns, and getting the same practice with VSA off is a must. Plus it'll surely be super fun! I still am eager to return to the dragon, and I think it'll be a nice reward of sorts to be a better driver during this year's meet.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
That is the plan, though I'll have to pace myself. I considered it before the parking lot practice, but ultimately decided against it, since it was the first time I'd tried something like that and I didn't want to drive beyond my means. Actually, another reason I even tried this in the first place was because I figured it'd help to get a feel of what the car does during such violent turns, and getting the same practice with VSA off is a must. Plus it'll surely be super fun! I still am eager to return to the dragon, and I think it'll be a nice reward of sorts to be a better driver during this year's meet.
This summer if you come back, make sure to take a ride with Jesse ( @ITEM9 ). Take some dramamine first though. ;)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Took the CR-Z to an abandoned parking lot, to try finally having some sporty fun on my own with Honda's sport hybrid, since I only ever use it as a commuter. It was a blast! At first, I was scared by the fact that this parking lot has lots of trees and parking stumps to watch out for, but then just imagined them as slalom obstacles and I really enjoyed the experience of ripping around the place like I'm driving a go-kart. It's the first time I really understood the expression "burning rubber" in this context, as I smelled it not long after beginning, and the tires themselves did look obviously affected after it was all said and done (as though a top layer of rubber was charred off).

I'm not a pro driver, so I never took off traction control, but I really would like to do so one day. It comes into affect even when all I do is quick acceleration, so I expected it to kick in a lot here, which it did. I do wonder if I would've been able to get the car to spin.. I've heard the car can be enticed into oversteer because of the IMA battery's weight, though just from looking at it I never figured it was so heavy compared to the rest of the car, so not sure. Perhaps I'll try the lot again without traction control in the future after I get used to all the turns.
Glad to hear that you dabbled with your CR-Z to get a better idea of the car's driving dynamics. If you're still curious about finding the car's limits as well as your's as a driver then I'd recommend checking out some autocross events. ;)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Glad to hear that you dabbled with your CR-Z to get a better idea of the car's driving dynamics. If you're still curious about finding the car's limits as well as your's as a driver then I'd recommend checking out some autocross events. ;)
That's also what I plan to try in the future, as well as HPDE. Hopefully soon, but the timing all depends on work and life of course.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Upgraded my dome lights & license plate lights to LED lights a couple hours ago. Going back to Intec Racing here in Kent, WA in a few days to get a couple pairs for the door & behind the seats. Costed me $10 a pair with a 1 year warranty if it goes out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
114 Posts
Changed engine oil and filter today, first time doing it DIY instead of paying a dealer. The under engine cover isn't difficult to deal with imo
Pleasant coincidence; I changed my oil and filter 2 days ago. I took the undercarriage off though, and left it off for good this time. This is the second time I've changed it DIY, and it took me way too long. The screws are perfectly fine, but I can't stand those "bolts" -- especially since some that were on there are already damaged. I hope I'm just doing things wrong, but I feel like even when I'm removing them correctly I'm causing a bit of damage to them each time.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Pleasant coincidence; I changed my oil and filter 2 days ago. I took the undercarriage off though, and left it off for good this time. This is the second time I've changed it DIY, and it took me way too long. The screws are perfectly fine, but I can't stand those "bolts" -- especially since some that were on there are already damaged. I hope I'm just doing things wrong, but I feel like even when I'm removing them correctly I'm causing a bit of damage to them each time.
Why not do the beatrush underbody panel. It's 4 bolts to remove it from the car for future oil changes... It also has cooling fins to keep the engine running cooler...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Why not do the beatrush underbody panel. It's 4 bolts to remove it from the car for future oil changes... It also has cooling fins to keep the engine running cooler...
Never once heard of it before. I'll look into that -- I really do like having this engine cover on the car, it's so low (stock height) that I'd often check the lower half of the engine for dirt build up, but any hour+ long oil change makes me feel really dumb. Plus the underbelly looks more streamlined and cooler that way. Thank you!

·
Registered
700 Posts
Never once heard of it before. I'll look into that -- I really do like having this engine cover on the car, it's so low (stock height) that I'd often check the lower half of the engine for dirt build up, but any hour+ long oil change makes me feel really dumb. Plus the underbelly looks more streamlined and cooler that way. Thank you!
This is what it looks like under the car with the panel installed on a Z...

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
fair warning - this will kill your highway mpg. went from 40 to 36 at 65MPH

·
Registered
700 Posts
fair warning - this will kill your highway mpg. went from 40 to 36 at 65MPH
Must create drag on the car. I still get about 41 at 50-55 mph. But anything higher and mpg goes down. With sport mode and how hard I drive the car I've been averaging 20-23 mpg...

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Must create drag on the car. I still get about 41 at 50-55 mph. But anything higher and mpg goes down. With sport mode and how hard I drive the car I've been averaging 20-23 mpg...
I was talking about running with no panel at all - OEM or beatrush. I'm not sure what the beatrush panel does - sounds like it's about as good as OEM though if you're still getting 41 in the low 50mph

8201 - 8220 of 8307 Posts