Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I presently drive a 2009 Accord and gets good gas milage, I have taken a job where my daily commute will be a little over 200 miles per day or about 1100 miles per week. I have been looking at the new CR-Z and like everything about it, I'm just not famillur with hybrid vehichles and don't know how the CR-Z would hold up to the daily wear and tear. The commute consists of approximatly fourty miles of stop and go traffic.

Thank you for your thoughts

·
Registered
36 Posts
That's an awfully long distance to drive day in and day out. Aside from paint chips and cracked foglights if you get the EX model, I wouldn't expect anything to go wrong. Are you looking to get something fun to drive or something that gets good mileage. If it's the latter, have you considered possibly getting a Civic Hybrid, Insight or Prius instead?

·
Registered
693 Posts
With that many miles a week, fuel economy will make a big difference in your overall expenses. However, spending that much time commuting means that you want to be comfortable. So it is very important that you do a long enough test drive to make sure the CRZ leaves you feeling comfortable.

Strictly based on costs, you will be well served by the highest fuel economy you can get. For example the average CRZ driver gets 38 mpg. Based on your proposed 55,000 miles per year this is 1447 gallons of fuel per year. Your Accord is probably getting you 28mpg? So that would be 1964 gallons per year. So a CRZ is going to save you 517 gallons per year. At. $4/gallon that is more than $2,000 in fuel savings.

OTOH, a Prius or 2012 Civic hybrid might get you 48 mpg. That would be 1145 gallons per year. Or a savings of 819 gallons ($3276) less than the Accord. Or 302 less gallons ($1208) than the CRZ. Does that make the Prius or Civic worth spending the extra $4000-$6000 to purchase?

·
Registered
136 Posts
FYI, I pickup mine last month (April 8) and just past 2520km this morning after I got back to office, by comparing the amount I paid for the last four (4) tanks of gas on the Civic SiR (in March), even though the general gas price is higher in April, I'm still paying about $20 less with the CR-Z, keeping in mind that the CR-Z still not pass the run-in period which I still not engage the cruise control when driving on highway, i'm expect to see few more bucks to drop when i start using the cruise control.

Civic SiR
$49.47 @ $1.235/liter
$57.29 @ $1.216/liter
$51.10 @ $1.208/liter
$51.19 @ $1.226/liter
Total $209.05 (March)

CR-Z
$43.91 @ $1.271/liter
$48.39 @ $1.339/liter
$46.70 @ $1.365/liter
$50.70 @ $1.371/liter
Total $189.7 (April)

·
Registered
664 Posts
wow ~200mile daily commute?? thats like 3.5-4hrs of driving per day

just like what tcroly said, i would really really get into a car you'd be comfortable in. a lot of people complain about the lack of lumbar support in the CR-Z and find it a bit uncomfortable, but i have no problems at all and actually find the car really comfortable. im 6'0 if that helps in any way. my girlfriend, on the other hand, finds it a little uncomfortable on the passenger side, but thats maybe because she's not used to sitting so low.

also, if you're doing majority highway miles like you said, you could probably squeeze it out to 40-45mpg even with the stop and go. even still, if you got another hybrid like the prius or insight, you could squeeze more out of them, as well. it's up to you whether you want to pay a higher price for the latter cars, however. no matter what, the cr-z or any other hybrid will definitely fare a lot better than your accord, mileage/fuel wise. reliability? it's a honda, so i wouldnt worry about it

·
Registered
376 Posts
With that many miles a week, fuel economy will make a big difference in your overall expenses. However, spending that much time commuting means that you want to be comfortable. So it is very important that you do a long enough test drive to make sure the CRZ leaves you feeling comfortable.

Strictly based on costs, you will be well served by the highest fuel economy you can get. For example the average CRZ driver gets 38 mpg. Based on your proposed 55,000 miles per year this is 1447 gallons of fuel per year. Your Accord is probably getting you 28mpg? So that would be 1964 gallons per year. So a CRZ is going to save you 517 gallons per year. At. $4/gallon that is more than $2,000 in fuel savings.

OTOH, a Prius or 2012 Civic hybrid might get you 48 mpg. That would be 1145 gallons per year. Or a savings of 819 gallons ($3276) less than the Accord. Or 302 less gallons ($1208) than the CRZ. Does that make the Prius or Civic worth spending the extra $4000-$6000 to purchase?

:yeahthat:

OP...you do about as much driving as I do. I had a 2008 Accord traded it in for the CR-Z. Can't be happier. Strictly talking about gas consumption you'll be on top with the CR-Z. So far maintenance compared to the Accord has been lower. I had to replace 2 set of rear brake on the Accord in year one and one set of front brake. Thus far on the CR-Z since start of September, no maintenance cost besides oil change. Cost above for parts alone saved me $200. Fuel saving thus far with fewer mileage than last year is $1250. I will be saving close to $2000 depending how I drive for the remaining 4 months.

TCroly is correct in suggesting you also consider 2012 HCH or Prius which gets better MPG if only thing you look at is fuel cost. I bought my CR-Z base on look and reasonable fuel cost. I discounted the Prius because of boring driving experience and extreme differences in computer MPG readout vs manually calculation; but I am sure it would eventually work out if I gave it more chance (4 full tanks of gas experience). 2012 HCH seems promising but test drive it to see if it's suitable.

Everyone has their own priorities. The CR-Z suit me fine. I smile when I drive it. No regrets. My goal regarding MPG were 40-41mpg for the CRZ; lately been getting 46+mpg avg is bonus.

Side note: I drive more fuel economy conscious with hybrid since having more feedback from the gauges...I am sure I could get better MPG on regular fuel vehicles if I have all this feedback (BIG if). I hope to start a thread on total year cost of ownership once I am there but if someone gets there first...

·
Registered
281 Posts
I do about half the mileage you're talking about (500 miles/week) - I have no qualms about the hybrid drivetrain because it's a Honda and they don't have a good reliability reputation for nothing, and also the Honda hybrid system is quite simple compared to Toyota's - there's not much to go wrong with it.
You do need to make sure it'll be comfortable enough for you. The CR-Z is a little bit noisier and has less seat adjustment than my old car but is fine for me all the same. But if I were doing twice as many miles then maybe it would be different.

·
Registered
2 Posts
FYI, I pickup mine last month (April 8) and just past 2520km this morning after I got back to office, by comparing the amount I paid for the last four (4) tanks of gas on the Civic SiR (in March), even though the general gas price is higher in April, I'm still paying about $20 less with the CR-Z, keeping in mind that the CR-Z still not pass the run-in period which I still not engage the cruise control when driving on highway, i'm expect to see few more bucks to drop when i start using the cruise control.

Civic SiR
$49.47 @ $1.235/liter
$57.29 @ $1.216/liter
$51.10 @ $1.208/liter
$51.19 @ $1.226/liter
Total $209.05 (March)

CR-Z
$43.91 @ $1.271/liter
$48.39 @ $1.339/liter
$46.70 @ $1.365/liter
$50.70 @ $1.371/liter
Total $189.7 (April)
im in the same boat as you (have si, looking to get cr-z)

i know the fillups are a little cheaper (smaller tank) but how long does each tank LAST compared to the si...

I know i could only ever get about 480-500 per tank on my si (all highway - 407 cruise set at 120)

·
Registered
664 Posts
:yeahthat:

OP...you do about as much driving as I do. I had a 2008 Accord traded it in for the CR-Z. Can't be happier. Strictly talking about gas consumption you'll be on top with the CR-Z. So far maintenance compared to the Accord has been lower. I had to replace 2 set of rear brake on the Accord in year one and one set of front brake. Thus far on the CR-Z since start of September, no maintenance cost besides oil change. Cost above for parts alone saved me $200. Fuel saving thus far with fewer mileage than last year is $1250. I will be saving close to $2000 depending how I drive for the remaining 4 months.

TCroly is correct in suggesting you also consider 2012 HCH or Prius which gets better MPG if only thing you look at is fuel cost. I bought my CR-Z base on look and reasonable fuel cost. I discounted the Prius because of boring driving experience and extreme differences in computer MPG readout vs manually calculation; but I am sure it would eventually work out if I gave it more chance (4 full tanks of gas experience). 2012 HCH seems promising but test drive it to see if it's suitable.

Everyone has their own priorities. The CR-Z suit me fine. I smile when I drive it. No regrets. My goal regarding MPG were 40-41mpg for the CRZ; lately been getting 46+mpg avg is bonus.

Side note: I drive more fuel economy conscious with hybrid since having more feedback from the gauges...I am sure I could get better MPG on regular fuel vehicles if I have all this feedback (BIG if). I hope to start a thread on total year cost of ownership once I am there but if someone gets there first...
i also had a 2008 v6 accord. traded it in for the cr-z. i get more mileage out of each tank from the cr-z than i did with the accord. and the accord had a 17gal tank

·
Registered
136 Posts
im in the same boat as you (have si, looking to get cr-z)

i know the fillups are a little cheaper (smaller tank) but how long does each tank LAST compared to the si...

I know i could only ever get about 480-500 per tank on my si (all highway - 407 cruise set at 120)
distance-wise is a bit more than the SiR from before approx. 550km (with summer tires & if i really squeeze the last drop from the tank), usually around 520km; I just top up my 4th tank last night and it was in full SPORT mode, I got 585km with 60km after the low fuel light came on (still have approx. 3 liters left in the tank).

hope this info help ... :rolleyes:

btw, with your si, try to lower it down to 110 on highway, then u will get what i had for about 520km each tank.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
qualitatively speaking, i had a 2008 accord coupe V6 EX before my CR-Z. i drive a total of 100 miles a day give or take. this car is WAY better on gas, and i love everything about it. the accord was also a great car, but this the CR-Z makes much more sense. i say go for it. you won't regret it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I love my CR-Z.

But if I were you, I'd lean toward getting a Prius or Civic Hybrid. Both of these vehicles getting significantly better mileage and in my opinion offer a bit higher comfort level for such long daily commutes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you for your comments

Thank you all for your comments, this really helps. Comfort is definitely a factor just as much as milage but my biggest question is on the reliability of the battery and electrical systems on the CR-Z, I have never owned a hybrid but hear that battery systems can be costly to repair. I have driven the Prius and could not get comfortable, I would like to stick with a Honda but only if drive train and batteries can take the daily commute.

·
Registered
2 Posts
distance-wise is a bit more than the SiR from before approx. 550km (with summer tires & if i really squeeze the last drop from the tank), usually around 520km; I just top up my 4th tank last night and it was in full SPORT mode, I got 585km with 60km after the low fuel light came on (still have approx. 3 liters left in the tank).

hope this info help ... :rolleyes:

btw, with your si, try to lower it down to 110 on highway, then u will get what i had for about 520km each tank.

thanks for the info dude, appreciate it (sorry for the thread jack!)

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
I drive 500- 600 miles a week- and I look forward to it every time. I find it very therapeutic to drive a CR-Z after a hard day on the job. With that being said however there is a spot where I have to go up hill for about a mile followed by a down hill for about a mile. In that mile up hill it depletes the battery to "no assist" available. I have to down shift to 4th/ 5th to keep the speed up which kills the MPG's average. So if you have a lot of mountains or hills to go up I would recommend something else.

Even though it has a low battery capacity and low engine power I love this car and it has been so far the best car I have ever bought.

·
Registered
376 Posts
i also had a 2008 v6 accord. traded it in for the cr-z. i get more mileage out of each tank from the cr-z than i did with the accord. and the accord had a 17gal tank

Yes...imagine the shock at the pump every time needing to fill up... I am glad I traded in the Accord. :hi5:

I find it very therapeutic to drive a CR-Z after a hard day on the job.

:yeahthat: Outweigh everything else. I have lower my stress level by leap and bound...value...priceless!!! :headbang:

·
Registered
282 Posts
Thank you all for your comments, this really helps. Comfort is definitely a factor just as much as milage but my biggest question is on the reliability of the battery and electrical systems on the CR-Z, I have never owned a hybrid but hear that battery systems can be costly to repair. I have driven the Prius and could not get comfortable, I would like to stick with a Honda but only if drive train and batteries can take the daily commute.
No problems so far after about 6500 mi. Some pretty steep, long climbs included and though a bit underpowered, never had problems draining the battery. A true joy to drive with the bonus of superb gas mileage which keeps getting better with warmer weather.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
the battery has a minimum 7 year warranty, and is double in california. certain states have laws on battery warranties, u should find out yours.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I drive between 30-37 miles each way depending on the route I drive and I find the seats just fine. If your heavier either due to height or girth you make have troubles with lacking lumbar support, that is the primary complaint I've heard from bigger drivers who've been in the car.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.