Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never driven a stick before in my life, but I feel like this car is meant for that. Some people tell me that stick shifts can become tedious over time, having to constantly shift. How easy is it to learn, and how much of a hassle (if not) has it been for you? Any tips, suggestions and ideas on how to make it an enjoyable experience?

Also: Is there a difference on your insurance between stick and automatic?

·
Registered
20 Posts
There's a strong "macho" attitude among many drivers of manual transmissions. I presently own a Miata with an automatic. Before this I owned a Miata with a manual. While the manual is certainly more exhilarating and exciting to drive it can become tedious especially in heavy stop and go traffic. Personally, I prefer the automatic. Sort of like laid back and smell the roses.

There is a lot to learning the proper use of a manual and it is rewarding to be able to up shift and down shift with proficiency but as I stated, I prefer the more laid back feeling of driving an automatic. With the automatic CR-Z if you're inclined to want a little spirited driving just use your paddles. Otherwise, put it in drive and relax.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I feel that it lets you have more say in what your car is doing, especially going into turns. You get to plan what gear to be in as opposed to an automatic gearbox "guessing" what you want to do. Also whenever I drive an automatic I feel like the gearbox is stealing some of my power.

I do drive a lot though and I enjoy doing those long drives on twisting roads. Right now I do drive a CL9 with automatic gearbox, and I do love it in rush traffic and driving in the city. It's on those long trips and those twisty mountain roads that I miss the feel of a stick shift. It's just not the same with floppy paddles and/or cvt.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hello. Great great question. Using a stick, I feel, is a personal preference. I love it. I learned to drive many years ago (I'm 61) in an old Ford pickup with a manual transmission, so I don't find shifting to be at all tedious. In fact, when I drive an automatic, even after all these years, I still have the desire to shift the transmission myself (though I don't).

I like the control over the car with a stick. I make the decision when to shift, not the car. It gets so that you feel and hear the engine and know when to shift. It's a great feeling. You feel like you are one with the car.

On the other hand, my wife hates shifting. I tried to teach her once on another car, and after a couple of hours for trying, she just said that it was too much work. When I bought the Z, she said that I had nothing to worry about that she would ever want to borrow the car.

If you have never driven a stick before, it does take some getting used to. I would recommend that you ask someone you know who drives a stick to see if they can give you some lessons. I would suggest that you don't do it anywhere with traffic. Preferably try driving with a stick out in the country where there are few cars. You will find yourself really concentrating on when to shift and using the clutch effectively. You don't need additional distractions (i.e. traffic) to contend with while learning. I learned on a back road where I could drive for miles without encountering many cars.

Try it. Then if you like driving a manual transmission, I would recommend you go test drive the Z. Every car handles a little differently. You may find the Z a little harder or easier to drive than you expected.

Just some thoughts and suggestions.

Good luck.

sparrow

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
I feel that it lets you have more say in what your car is doing, especially going into turns. You get to plan what gear to be in as opposed to an automatic gearbox "guessing" what you want to do. Also whenever I drive an automatic I feel like the gearbox is stealing some of my power.

I do drive a lot though and I enjoy doing those long drives on twisting roads. Right now I do drive a CL9 with automatic gearbox, and I do love it in rush traffic and driving in the city. It's on those long trips and those twisty mountain roads that I miss the feel of a stick shift. It's just not the same with floppy paddles and/or cvt.
:yeahthat: If I lived in a heavy congested area and did a lot of stop and go city driving like Los Angeles or lived in a hilly place like San Fran I would prefer auto. But for pure open road, spirited driving, stick all the way!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great advice everyone. I live in the city (orange county), usually a lot of stop and go traffic. Also, my friend tells me you need to press the clutch when shifting and when braking. It does seem like it can be confusing, but I'm still on the fence. I like the "sporty" aspect of stickshift, and I want to be able to get the most out of my cr-z.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Matching revs....

Hard to explain, but throttle control in each gear...say you're in 3rd gear and keep it there. Using the gas you can accellerate and decellerate as you like. In auto once you let off the gas..it'll just kinda cruise.

Keeps my left foot from falling asleep.

I'm a manual driver for life...i can't go back to autos. Just doesn't feel fun for me.

Yes...it's a PITA during traffic....still i rather have my car in stick.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I find a stick gives me better control of the car when doing steep grades, and when towing (not a CRZ specialty!:rolleyes:). I also prefer it in bad weather... especially snow, but to be honest, I have never driven an automatic in bad weather (with traction control, etc.. they might be preferable.. dont know).

As suggested.. learn to drive a stick.. then drive both, and decide which you prefer.

Other considerations...

do you drive much in heavy stop and go rush hour traffic? (go auto)

Do you really like to have total control, so you can tell the car what to do, instead of relying on something preset by someone else, somewhere else? (go standard)

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Which part of orange county do you live? Irvine?
I won't let you drive my car but I don't mind showing you how to drive it in my car.

Usually, there are more power lost at the wheel for AT, perhaps 5%-10% more than MT. (there are exception like DSG which is more as a manual in my point of view.) Some company make MT with sporty gear ratios and AT for comfort and fuel economy. Every model is different. AT can be sporty too.

For CR-Z, there are MT and CVT. Honda makes torque output a bit different for these two gear box. Look at the sepc sheet. CVT is different from a typical AT. It has gear ratio at a certain range and it can change within this range. The M-mode on CR-Z set 7 ratios with in its range and give you a traditional gearbox feeling but it may not be faster though. CVT tends to have "rubber band effect" which gives you a slow start off response. However, the new ones aren't bad. In theory, CVT can be better than MT in performance. It depends on how company set it up.

I'm in class and I have to stop typing now.
BTW, MT you have to do it all by yourself all the time. There's no back up (unless a back up driver). Even when you tired or you broke your leg, you still have to do it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Which part of orange county do you live? Irvine?
I won't let you drive my car but I don't mind showing you how to drive it in my car.

Usually, there are more power lost at the wheel for AT, perhaps 5%-10% more than MT. (there are exception like DSG which is more as a manual in my point of view.) Some company make MT with sporty gear ratios and AT for comfort and fuel economy. Every model is different. AT can be sporty too.

For CR-Z, there are MT and CVT. Honda makes torque output a bit different for these two gear box. Look at the sepc sheet. CVT is different from a typical AT. It has gear ratio at a certain range and it can change within this range. The M-mode on CR-Z set 7 ratios with in its range and give you a traditional gearbox feeling but it may not be faster though. CVT tends to have "rubber band effect" which gives you a slow start off response. However, the new ones aren't bad. In theory, CVT can be better than MT in performance. It depends on how company set it up.

I'm in class and I have to stop typing now.
BTW, MT you have to do it all by yourself all the time. There's no back up (unless a back up driver). Even when you tired or you broke your leg, you still have to do it.
I work near Irvine, but live in Costa Mesa. I am going to try to learn on my friends car and see how I like it. Will I get better performance out of the CV-R if I get stick do you think?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I work near Irvine, but live in Costa Mesa. I am going to try to learn on my friends car and see how I like it. Will I get better performance out of the CV-R if I get stick do you think?
Yeah, you will. But do you really need it? Or are you a kid who thinks he needs it? Just curious. When I was a young driver I drove slow cars fast, got a lot of tickets, but learned to drive properly. If you're young the last thing you need is quick acceleration. So much can happen so quickly. Also, if you're a new driver in a very congested city, go with an auto. There's less distraction. And that's another thing you don't need.

This won't be your only chance to get a manual.

Just my .02

I've driven 6mt cars for years. Personally, I got sick of shifting and I have Bursitis, which really flares up when rowing my own.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I suppose I don't need any more tickets >.<. I'm not a new driver, I am 24, and I kind of like the appeal of a sporty car with a stick, maybe my wants though are based in the fact I think chicks will find it hot, I duno. Hahaha.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I suppose I don't need any more tickets >.<. I'm not a new driver, I am 24, and I kind of like the appeal of a sporty car with a stick, maybe my wants though are based in the fact I think chicks will find it hot, I duno. Hahaha.
Chicks won't give a shit. :sadwavey:

·
Registered
693 Posts
There clearly is no absolute answer, but you have gotten allot of very honest and different perspectives. For me, driving a stick shift is very gratifying because I feel like I am part of the car and it adds to my driving experience. Whether I am trying to achieve the best gas mileage, (which will be always be with a stick shift now matter what the EPA rating says) or just having that added bit of control over the vehicle.

For most people driving is not a fun activity, but rather something they have to do to get from point a to point b. And for those folks an automatic almost always makes the most sense. But for others, like me, driving is truly something that I love to do. Whether i am at a race track trying to drive as fast as possible or just commuting. I love to drive. Driving a stick shift enhances this pleasure.

But as already pointed out, there is one time when driving a stick shift can suck, and that is when you are stuck in stop, and go 10 feet, and stop again, kind of traffic. If this describes your commute then you will benefit from an automatic. However the very light clutch action of a Honda makes even this type of driving no big deal if it only happens a few times a week. Now, if you are driving a big block V8 with a clutch that takes 150 pounds of force to push down and a great deal of skill to release without bucking yourself sick, that is indeed a whole other story.

I taught my wife to drive a stick when she was 25 and she is now 54 now and she has never desired to drive anything other than a stick for the past 29 years. So I do not see it in any way as a macho thing, just a preference.

One more thing, the CRZ will be a very very easy car to learn to drive as a stick shift. As cars go it will not be a chore for you to learn how, on a car like the CRZ there is not a great deal of skill that you would need to develop like you might on an old non-synchronized race car gearbox or that of a truck.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Everyone is giving great advice. Ultimately, it's up to you to decide what is right for you. The only problem with manual is during traffic hours or stop and go traffic. It is a pain to keep shifting in and out of gear.

I put lots of miles (lets say more than average driver) on my car no matter what car I have. Driven both manual and automatic for many moons. :rolleyes: Stopped driving manual over 10 years back cause stop and go traffic was getting old. Switched to automatic and it was like a dream came true. My left foot was finally free but did not realized I was not really satisfied. I did not have the control of my vehicle like in the manual. Picked up my MT CR-Z recently and felt whole again. :sleep:

No matter what you buy, you'll enjoy the CR-Z. It is a fun vehicle.

·
Registered
239 Posts
The cvt is a fine addition actually. Its not a real automatic like most are referring to. If you aren't actually comfortable with a manual, don't learn on a new car (while it is much easier than the older cars, you will make mistakes when you least want to!). You can still have fun with the paddle shifters.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.