Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a track day in a stock base CR-Z 6mt. The factory run-flats do really suck, the car wobbles around on them as they roll over. I ended up with a lot of wear on the sidewalls. I will post pictures of the wear later, for now, here are two videos.

I was certainly in the slowest car in my group as everything was a race car, big bore sports car, or sports car turned track day car.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Wear on the sidewalks indicates that you should have increaseD you tire pressures.

You showed very good lines and car control from what I saw in your video, but how a about a warm up lap? And no corner workers to warn you about the car off in the second turn? Usually such an off would result in a suspension of the session until the car is moved. Nevertheless it looks like a great time. I do miss track days.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Most of the tire wear was from when I was running 35psi cold, I increased to 42psi cold by the end of the day, 45 would be better I think.

It is difficult to see in the video, but there is a black flag waving as I approached the spun car, that is why we came back in. Session 3 part 2 is the restart.

I had already warmed up the engine for quite some time in the pits before going out and was easy on the brakes for the first 2/3 of a lap. I see no need to warm factory tires.

I club race that track so I know the lines well.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Something else worth mentioning, the brakes. The car seemed fine on track, but while starting the last two sessions the brakes felt like they had more and more air in them. My suspicion is that the brake fluid overheated after the car came off the track. I was not pushing it under braking, taking it easy and keeping a lot of extra.

I never noticed any degradation while on track, but a degradation after coming off track.

One other interesting note, on the first two laps the IMA would be pushing me. It is rather odd to go back out and arrive at all the corners 10-15mph faster.

I got a lot of questions about the car, most people had not seen one yet, it was more of a curiosity to them.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm hoping to go to Watkin's Glen in a month or two when a friend's mg club has a track day.
That should be a lot of fun. One other note, keep it in normal mode. Sport mode has a weird kick on initial throttle take up and that makes it very difficult to feather a maintenance throttle around tight radius turns. I suspected this would be the case and confirmed it on the track. Even with a little more lag, normal is still the way to go. Also, you have got to turn off traction control, otherwise your brakes will hate you and you won't be able to leave carousels at full speed.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I've notice similar things too. in Normal mode, throttle is linear and easier to control. Initial torque from electric motor can be a bit too much for stock dunlop tires.
On a small track with turns, those brakes are fine for first and second sections. In last section, it always not working as well as before.
Most of the time, the battery can last for 1 section. In between sections, I put it in N and charge it.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I haven't been to the track in a couple years (mortgage industry has tanked, so my play money has disappeared). Summit Point is a fun track. Did you get to drive Shanandoah? Of the three tracks there, that one is my favorite and may favor a car like the CR-Z. Lot's of tight little turns where the extra umph when coming out of the turns would be welcome. Of course, the others may eat us up in the long straight, but once in the turns you may have some advantages.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Most of the tire wear was from when I was running 35psi cold, I increased to 42psi cold by the end of the day, 45 would be better I think.

It is difficult to see in the video, but there is a black flag waving as I approached the spun car, that is why we came back in. Session 3 part 2 is the restart.

I had already warmed up the engine for quite some time in the pits before going out and was easy on the brakes for the first 2/3 of a lap. I see no need to warm factory tires.

I club race that track so I know the lines well.
I really enjoyed your video and can see that you are a very well skilled driver. I would be pleased to have you as my instructor anyday. Would love to hear more about what you found out about the CRZ on the track.

You were clearly limited by the lack of tire grip, but it was interesting to see how the
CRX was able to just run away from you without any problem.

Did you lose battery boost after a couple laps? What did you think of the handling of the chassis that you could separate from the slippery tires?

Something else worth mentioning, the brakes. The car seemed fine on track, but while starting the last two sessions the brakes felt like they had more and more air in them. My suspicion is that the brake fluid overheated after the car came off the track. I was not pushing it under braking, taking it easy and keeping a lot of extra.

I never noticed any degradation while on track, but a degradation after coming off track.

One other interesting note, on the first two laps the IMA would be pushing me. It is rather odd to go back out and arrive at all the corners 10-15mph faster.

I got a lot of questions about the car, most people had not seen one yet, it was more of a curiosity to them.
Did the brake return to full performance after they cooled down or do you have to change brake fluid?

That should be a lot of fun. One other note, keep it in normal mode. Sport mode has a weird kick on initial throttle take up and that makes it very difficult to feather a maintenance throttle around tight radius turns. I suspected this would be the case and confirmed it on the track. Even with a little more lag, normal is still the way to go. Also, you have got to turn off traction control, otherwise your brakes will hate you and you won't be able to leave carousels at full speed.
I had thought as much about normal mode being a better throttle mapping for car control. In sport you loses the first 1/2 throttle in the first 10% of pedal travel.

Great stuff!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I really enjoyed your video and can see that you are a very well skilled driver. I would be pleased to have you as my instructor anyday. Would love to hear more about what you found out about the CRZ on the track.

You were clearly limited by the lack of tire grip, but it was interesting to see how the
CRX was able to just run away from you without any problem.

Did you lose battery boost after a couple laps? What did you think of the handling of the chassis that you could separate from the slippery tires?

Did the brake return to full performance after they cooled down or do you have to change brake fluid?

I had thought as much about normal mode being a better throttle mapping for car control. In sport you loses the first 1/2 throttle in the first 10% of pedal travel.

Great stuff!
Why thank you. I am actually going through instructor school next month.

I will post a list of things i learned out there later today.

That CRX is a ITA prepped race car, it better be able to run away from me. I think they make over 150hp and weight under 2300lbs with driver.

From a fully charged battery I was able to get about 2 laps before it was at 3bars and not providing much boost. I bet in sport mode it would go down to one bar before giving up. Those first two laps I was able to outrun the miatas, then they would outrun me.

It was hard to tell what good the chassis was on those tires. I will say that it rolls a decent amount, but is still fine. It is difficult to stay in the seat in a corner though. I had to shift form 2 to 3 half way through the carousel and that was pretty hairy. The car has a lot of understeer, but will quickly go into controlled oversteer when you lift. Getting back on the throttle makes the oversteer go away quickly.

Nope, the brake pedal stills feels like it did when I came off the track. I think there is a tiny bit of air, not much. My guess is that a little bit of gravity bleeding will do the trick. I would recommend higher temperature fluid for anyone doing track days often.

I am glad to see I am not the only one who thinks normal mode is best for control. I wish sport was like normal, just with the shorter response time or normal.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I haven't been to the track in a couple years (mortgage industry has tanked, so my play money has disappeared). Summit Point is a fun track. Did you get to drive Shanandoah? Of the three tracks there, that one is my favorite and may favor a car like the CR-Z. Lot's of tight little turns where the extra umph when coming out of the turns would be welcome. Of course, the others may eat us up in the long straight, but once in the turns you may have some advantages.
This time was Summit Point Main. I will be on Shenandoah next month for the instructor school. I have raced on Shenandoah before and I think the CR-Z would do well there. It is a very interesting and technical track. The track curvature (which I think they are going to fix, it has a crown to it) and varying pavement types make for a a lot of experimentation to find speed. Unfortunately, the width of the track does not lend itself well to road racing with more than a few cars.

While the IMA system is awesome for exiting turns, it does not last long.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've notice similar things too. in Normal mode, throttle is linear and easier to control. Initial torque from electric motor can be a bit too much for stock dunlop tires.
On a small track with turns, those brakes are fine for first and second sections. In last section, it always not working as well as before.
Most of the time, the battery can last for 1 section. In between sections, I put it in N and charge it.
Glad to know I am not the only one noticing that.

My brakes worked well all day, but they seemed to gain a tiny amount of air after returning to the pits. My guess is that with out the cooling air, they heat soaked. Maybe more cooling would do the trick.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.