Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed an odd smell that comes up when I drive the car a roughly around town. It's never stood out before but I notice it on every ride now, smells roughly like melting or burning plastic/rubber. Comes into the car though the vents, standing outside the smell is strongest by the front passenger wheel well.

Nothing stand out as to what could be causing the smell but then I'm not very in the know on what to look for. Any thoughts?

On a side note: We could use a mechanical problems or technical chat sub forum, kind of similar to the one over at 8thgen: Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum

I'll run by a dealership to check the car out, any advice on what I should check or ask the dealer about?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Shhhiiiit!! i smelled this too around town, never on the highway.. im wondering if it was just random road/exhaust smell from other cars maybe? but its very random..

·
Registered
232 Posts
I've noticed this in my new cars in general. Every new car I've purchased has had this smell either on very hot days when new, or when driven hard. When I got my Vue I immediately drove it 450 miles from San Diego to the Bay Area and noticed this smell when driving up the Grape Vine (a mountain range just north of LA). I've not really driven my CRZ hard but it was over 100 degrees the first few days after I purchased it and I again noticed this smell.

I've always just assumed it's all of the rubber/plastic bits in the engine getting hot when new and letting off some of that acrid, chemical smell.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've noticed an odd smell that comes up when I drive the car a roughly around town. It's never stood out before but I notice it on every ride now, smells roughly like melting or burning plastic/rubber. Comes into the car though the vents, standing outside the smell is strongest by the front passenger wheel well.

Nothing stand out as to what could be causing the smell but then I'm not very in the know on what to look for. Any thoughts?

On a side note: We could use a mechanical problems or technical chat sub forum, kind of similar to the one over at 8thgen: Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum

I'll run by a dealership to check the
car out, any advice on what I should check or ask the dealer about?
Just drive with the internal air circulation "ON". Press the button below the front and rear blowers on the left to turn it on.
You wont get any smoke from other cars, As the crz is a low car smoke from the other cars gets in easily. if this doesnt work get your pollen filter replaced.
vinni

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just drive with the internal air circulation "ON". Press the button below the front and rear blowers on the left to turn it on.
You wont get any smoke from other cars, As the crz is a low car smoke from the other cars gets in easily. if this doesnt work get your pollen filter replaced.
vinni
It can't be the smell from other vehicles because it's noticable even once I stop and get out of the car, really strong up by the front passenger tire.

Oh well stopped by the dealer today. Couldn't reproduce the scent even when they took the car out twice and said it got rev'ed hard. I really don't even feel comfortable thinking about someone else driving the car.

They suggested the same basic answer baseplayrr gave, excess rubber shavings in the still newish engine burning off.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I've noticed this in my new cars in general. Every new car I've purchased has had this smell either on very hot days when new, or when driven hard. When I got my Vue I immediately drove it 450 miles from San Diego to the Bay Area and noticed this smell when driving up the Grape Vine (a mountain range just north of LA). I've not really driven my CRZ hard but it was over 100 degrees the first few days after I purchased it and I again noticed this smell.

I've always just assumed it's all of the rubber/plastic bits in the engine getting hot when new and letting off some of that acrid, chemical smell.
Pretty much this. It could be your brake pads bedding in. Maybe the clutch. Or for cars built across the ocean, Cosmoline, a rust inhibitor, buring off.

I wouldn't worry about it unless the overheat light comes on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.