Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When rev-match downshifting in sport mode, whenever the throttle is blipped I hear a click from the right side of the engine bay. Could this be something to do with the VTEC? A noise from the motor mount maybe? Anybody else hearing this? I'll attempt to recreate this a little more to see if I can be any more specific. Hopefully it's normal.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wish I could rename the thread, as it appears the noise I'm hearing is not mode specific and in fact happens whenever throttle is quickly applied while the engine isn't under load (so while blipping the throttle to downshift or just revving it in neutral). With the hood up it sounds much more like an intake related sound, like a sudden rush of air into the engine, and is probably normal...

Engine definitely sounds like a diesel when the hood is up which is kind of alarming. Looking under the hood, it looks like my coolant level is about an inch above the MAX line and the oil may or may not be low (seems like it's too clean or thin to even be seen on the dipstick, though a small drop is accumulated at the bottom).

Taking it into the dealer tomorrow and I'll attempt to put it side to side with another CR-Z to see if it's normal or not.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
fixed the title

not sure about the clicking noise with the revving... but the idle noise is 100% normal... some people might confuse it with the rocker arms but the sound is actually from the injectors opening and closing...

on a sn: i test drove a Ford Fiesta today and while driving, the engine noise is extremely loud... it sounds like a diesel engine at all rpms... total crap car tho :p

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pretty sure it's just the intake sucking in a surge of air, I'll have somebody rev it for me tomorrow so I can stand in front of the engine and hear it.

Just gonna have them check my steering wheel (not pointing straight), the water level (too high it appears?) and the oil (can't even see if it's in between the lines) tomorrow and hope for the best. Otherwise I'm absolutely loving this thing.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
again, ticking is 100% normal!! here's a video of a Honda Fit (similar engine) with the ticking sound... Honda is known (by owners) for having loud fuel injectors...
Same exact sound with my 07 Civic Hybrid. Normal.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Ticking is absolutely normal! DO NOT FREAK OUT your cars fine lol. Like bizzy said it's the injectors, some cars are simply louder than other. My ms3 was really loud, to the point where my friends would be like "dude check that out man"

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
YouTube - Crz engine tick

heres my engine tick. It only happens randomly. its never consistent. This was with a warm engine right when i got home from the drive this aft. In the morning starting up cold i dont hear any ticking like this.
I don't notice when in the car. But each night when I come home from work, I stop at my mail box, leave the car running, get out and grab the mail. Each and everytime, I have that exact sound. Also had it on my 07 Civic Hybrid. It never esculated into any problem or got any worse.

I'll have to again agree with Bizzy. Normal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I got the same ticking sound and it appears to be coming from the throttle body where the connector is(not sure what it's call). It's on the side of the throttle body towards the front end. If you put your finger on it while the engine running, you can feel the ticking too.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
Ticking is absolutely normal! DO NOT FREAK OUT your cars fine lol. Like bizzy said it's the injectors, some cars are simply louder than other. My ms3 was really loud, to the point where my friends would be like "dude check that out man"
It is normal guys. Don't sweat this one.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.