Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Just guessing here.

Weight of Motor:
I thought I heard about 34Kg for the IMA motor.
Of course there is a lot of weight in the long power
cable from the trunk as well. (10Kg?)

Weight of Battery
Very Crude calculation from earlier post:
(I would at least double it for the packaging and electronics)

We have - From the IMA Breakdown sticky:
The 100.8 volt unit consists of 84 "D-sized" cells arranged in seven modules of 12 cells
each. It has a total capacity of 580 watt-hours

84 cells x 170g per cell = 14.3Kg of battery (not including packaging or electronics)
(weight from internet for D sized NiMh cell)

About 80 Kg would be a minimum for the IMA system.
I have no idea how much the software weighs:p

K

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
^ thanks for that. Someone should make a thread in the general section with general CR-Z information like this. Then the mods should sticky it so we dont have to keep pulling up random threads to find the info.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I researched this a number of months ago and thought I had found that the battery back was 84 pounds and the whole system including battery, motor and controllers and cables was 175 pounds. But I do not have the links to where I found this info.

·
Registered
669 Posts
^^ I might have been the author on the post on TOV, I was searching for this information to compare battery weights, capacities and the strength of various electric motors. I believe that 45 lbs is correct for the CR-Z, with the Civic being a heavier pack.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Time to bring back this thread.
In Japan, Honda has introduced a version of Fit named Fit RS Hybrid. A Fit with a CR-Z drivetrain. There is a normal Fit RS, it's a Fit with 6MT. Both having a 1.5L L-series engine. These two models of Fit are close enough to estimate the weight of the IMA system.

Fit RS 6MT: weight 1060kg fuel economy: 16.2km/L
Fit Hybrid RS 6MT: weight 1140kg fuel economy: 20.0km/L
JDM spec CR-Z 6MT: weight 1130kg fuel economy: 20.6 km/L

The difference between an IMA equipped Fit and normal Fit is 80kg (176.37 lbs). kmanatt's estimate is pretty much spot on.
Also note that the Fit Hybrid RS weights 10kg more than a CR-Z.

·
Banned
650 Posts
I wonder what the weight of the regenerative braking system is.
anyone know?

·
CORRUPT
2,351 Posts
I wonder what the weight of the regenerative braking system is.
anyone know?
It is integral with the IMA system and is not an individual sub-system that can be separated from it. Rather, it is a mode of operation where the motor controller can capture the back-emf generated by the spinning IMA motor. The IMA system takes advantage of the fact that AC motors can act as electric motors as well as generators, since their physical constructions are pretty much identical. The motor controller is what makes regeneration possible, but the regeneration system cannot have any distinct weight, since it is only a part of what the motor controller does.

·
CORRUPT
2,351 Posts
It's not an actual regenerative braking system. The motor charges the battery by putting friction on the drive shaft. That's why if you put it in neutral and brake, no charging occurs.
Actually, no friction involved. It's all done by magnetic fields and without any physical contact between the rotor and stator.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.