Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:wavey:

Sup Ya'll,

I decided to weigh in my CRZ and find out what if the manufacturer curb weight is accurate compared to actual automotive scales used to corner balance race cars.

When I bought my CRZ I specifically looked for a base model w/o navi because I wanted the lightest possible. I have many plans for this car. I own a shop in Garden Grove, CA and we're going to try and lighten up the vehicle in any way possible using carbon fiber everything we can make! Lol In doing so we hope to shed 300 lbs and gain 10 mpg's over factory. Dunno if it will work but I'm going to do my best. As for the engine, we'll be looking into fuel economy tweaks like back cutting the valves but still not sure how far we will go with that.

First we zero'd out the scales.

Here is the car on the scales. I used a long level to make sure my shop floor is flat.

With a full tank of 87 Unical gas the car weighs in at 2606 lbs. I made sure to take everything out of the car except what was in it when I first purchased it at the dealer. So spare is still in the trunk.

This photo shows the weight distribution of the CRZ.

(58.8% front)

(41.2% rear)

Stock Curb weight says 2635lbs and mine says 2606lbs on the scales. I have 42psi in all the tires and I have the prototype Swift Springs installed on the car. I didn't remember to weight the swift springs vs the stock spring when I did the install, but I cannot imagine they are worth 29lbs in difference. I think the difference would be 5lbs max. Anyhow, hope you guys find this info helpful or just fun facts :hi5:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, I had my friend from JS Design carbon vinyl wrap the rear qt panels. I figured I will never make this car fast like my Spoon S2k, so I can at least make it look cool. :thumbup:

nice rear fender. matte clear bra? or vinyl

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
IMO its real common. Almost all Stock Honda are unbalanced from what I've seen. My S2k, RSX, ITR, EK4, EG9, EJ Coupe all were unbalanced until I installed Coil overs and corner balanced the weight.

I've never seen this type of information, but I was taken by the disparity between the rear left and right wheels. The 52# difference is on the order of 10% for the rear weight. How common is this?

·
Registered
262 Posts
AlexS220, thanks for the insight. Are the differences as much as we see here? I now have a better appreciation for why race cars and many track cars go through this balancing process. I imagine the differences in weight distribution can be greatly accentuated under track conditions, and this can unbalance a car quite easily. Considering a USMD car with left-hand drive, that weight differential between the rear wheels will be much higher.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
IMO its real common. Almost all Stock Honda are unbalanced from what I've seen. My S2k, RSX, ITR, EK4, EG9, EJ Coupe all were unbalanced until I installed Coil overs and corner balanced the weight.
How do you adjust the corner weights to balance the car. Aslo with the coils did you measure to level the car out on the corners or thread count for hight?

PS i too want to C/F as much as possible to reduce weight, any info on C/F parts would be nice to have.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm not on adjustable coil overs on my CRZ so I wasn't able to corner balance. Right now I just wanted to weigh in the car to see how much lighter it will be when I'm finished. When my CF parts come out, I'll let you know. Thxx

How do you adjust the corner weights to balance the car. Aslo with the coils did you measure to level the car out on the corners or thread count for hight?

PS i too want to C/F as much as possible to reduce weight, any info on C/F parts would be nice to have.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Quick question about the set-up with the swift springs... I purchased a set on the group-buy and we're expecting them to arrive I guess in the next 30days.. the set-up looks like what I was expecting (ride-height wise).. did you add wheel spacers.. it seems the wheels fill the space better than standard..

Thanks
RJ

·
Registered
262 Posts
Bizzy, that was the point, that this was a USMD car being weighed, and there was a big difference at the rear, 50# more at the left rear wheel over the right wheel. I'm assuming this is done without a driver at the wheel, so once someone sits down, that would put even more of weight difference on the left side. Is that not correct, or am I missing something??

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
^ i see what you mean. with a driver in the seat it would throw the reading off further making the left side heavier overall. In the front, LF would become heavier than RF and out back LR which is already carrying more weight than RR would get even further off balance.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I can tell a similar story about weighing my 1991 NSX. My car was totally stock and when I weighed it with a 1/2 tank of fuel it weighed about 80 pounds less than the officially published curb weight for the 1991 NSX.

As far as corner balancing went, my stock NSX, with a 180 pound driver in place, was within about 30 pounds from left to right sides. This was considered a very good result for a stock vehicle. The CRZ does not have a pure performance mission so I am sure that less consideration was given to weight balancing than would have been done for and NSX.

As others have pointed out one of the benefits of an adjustable coil over set up is the ability to obtain better corner balancing.

I love this project to see what can be achieved with lower weight. Please keep us all informed about the progress you make towards weight reduction and the gas mileage gains you realize.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
i never weighed my '06 Si from each of the 4 wheels but they have a scale at the track i used to go to and with me in it the car was 3050lbs total... i'm 220lbs (at the time)... if you do the math that's 2830lbs... the specified weight of the Si coupe is 2886lbs... that's 56lbs less than spec'd from Honda...

this isn't unusual to me b/c i feel Honda always has conservative numbers... just like my engine was spec'd at 197hp when in actuality it was putting down around 210 crank hp in 100% stock trim...

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
I can tell a similar story about weighing my 1991 NSX. My car was totally stock and when I weighed it with a 1/2 tank of fuel it weighed about 80 pounds less than the officially published curb weight for the 1991 NSX.

As far as corner balancing went, my stock NSX, with a 180 pound driver in place, was within about 30 pounds from left to right sides. This was considered a very good result for a stock vehicle. The CRZ does not have a pure performance mission so I am sure that less consideration was given to weight balancing than would have been done for and NSX.

As others have pointed out one of the benefits of an adjustable coil over set up is the ability to obtain better corner balancing.

I love this project to see what can be achieved with lower weight. Please keep us all informed about the progress you make towards weight reduction and the gas mileage gains you realize.
the NSX is notorious for being well corner balanced from the factory. in fact its been said that it comes corner balanced with the weight of a typical japanese driver in the seat.... cool stuff.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.