Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oh, and for an extra $47 you can get the velocity stack ram air upgrade kit. wtf is that?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
the velocity stack ram air by weapon R is basically a velocity stack with a tube on it to redirect cold air into an airbox surrounding your air filter. Its pretty much like a stock system except less restriction.

Whether or not these item really exists, im not sure. Try emailing weapon R and seeing if this is correct or not.

However, i wouldnt get another weapon R intake. The fittings were cheap, never included stainless fasteners and the design of the particular intake i had was quite restrictive, it had a 90˚ bend that wasnt a smooth bend. Also my MAF sensor never fit in the intake. It jiggled around and never had a snug fit. I JB welded the MAF in (ghetto mod) and it held, but you wont get the MAF back after that.

edit: CRZykly, you arent "tuning" by adding an intake. Thats a ricer term imo. You are getting rid of restrictions in the intake system that help make your engine breathe more efficiently. There is no tuning involved.

Tuning would actually be tuning the ECU, and there is no way of doing that as of yet for the CRZ.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pretty much, yes, that's all true. they are even more effective with a tune, and we ought to see tuning sooner or later. i'm really digging the design of this intake.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the velocity stack ram air by weapon R is basically a velocity stack with a tube on it to redirect cold air into an airbox surrounding your air filter. Its pretty much like a stock system except less restriction.

Whether or not these item really exists, im not sure. Try emailing weapon R and seeing if this is correct or not.

However, i wouldnt get another weapon R intake. The fittings were cheap, never included stainless fasteners and the design of the particular intake i had was quite restrictive, it had a 90˚ bend that wasnt a smooth bend. Also my MAF sensor never fit in the intake. It jiggled around and never had a snug fit. I JB welded the MAF in (ghetto mod) and it held, but you wont get the MAF back after that.
how long ago was this? people say that weapon r's have gotten better. i've found this intake on several sites now. looks legit.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
ram air kit is a plastic snorkel that attaches to the top of the filter and goes down by the wheel well. Its supposed to create a ram air effect because when you drive air is supposed to be forced in to the tube and through the filter.

i dont see the Wpn-R intake on their site but they may just need to update it.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
is that intake breathing from beneath the car? not so good when it breathes in water if that's the case...
TRUEST STATEMENT TOLD. i blew the engine in my accord because the AEM sat right by the front bumper :(

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
^ theres a plastic cover down there. for you to have the intake suck in water you would have to drive through a deep pool of standing water. hydrolock is a real concern but not as dire as it may seem at first. what were the circumstances?

·
Registered
395 Posts
I too have hydrolocked a honda (99 civ) via an AEM CAI in the bumper (and yes it had plastic below it). Lot's of rain came in quick at work, everyone left work at like 2 becuase there was so much, ended up on one way southbound broadway and couldnt see 10 feet in front of me, everyone stops, light goes green and other side of intersection is under 1-2" of water. Car gurgles and stalls. I had a AEM bypass valve and upon restart that thing popped open (thank god) and I booked it outta there. Crazy experience for sure. Let's just say I only run SRI or boxes now.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
^ theres a plastic cover down there. for you to have the intake suck in water you would have to drive through a deep pool of standing water. hydrolock is a real concern but not as dire as it may seem at first. what were the circumstances?
i live in south florida. during a heavy down pour a street became flooded as i was driving down it. i attempted to idle through but ingested water. multiple rods snapped in half.

·
Registered
167 Posts
wow nice intake. finally something more affordable as opposed to the near £900 intakes by hks etc :angry:

although i wonder how this performs but yes i am also concerned about it being close to the ground doesnt seem safe

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.