Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

Watkins Glen Opening Weekend 2016

2K views 12 replies 2 participants last post by  HondaHolly 
#1 ·
~*{Fourth annual Watkins Glen International opening weekend meet}*~

WGI Opening Weekend this year is April 16th and 17th, Saturday and Sunday.

Our Meet: Sunday April 17th at noon

Info on Opening Weekend: Opening Weekend presented by Kwik Fill - Watkins Glen International

Info for driving the "paced laps": Drive The Glen - Watkins Glen International

**Bring cash, you buy the "ticket" for $25 while waiting in a line of cars to enter the track area**

Please be advised that Opening Weekend is the best time to go - its 98% sports/sporty cars who space themselves out on the track, allowing speeds in excess of the limit at times. But be advised, there are many hard turns! Excessive speed wont be necessary or safely possible anyway.

Keep in mind they take pictures of your car at a specific turn of the track, and you can purchase the photos immediately afterwards. It was another $25 or so, cash or card. There will be a "Track Time Photos" tent near the food from which you purchase the photos.

Images from 2015: http://www.crzforum.com/forum/north-east/52658-watkins-glen-opening-weekend-2015-a-3.html#post878122
and TrackTime photos: http://www.crzforum.com/forum/north-east/52658-watkins-glen-opening-weekend-2015-a-4.html#post882266

Images from 2014: http://www.crzforum.com/forum/north-east/25442-watkins-glen-opening-weekend-2014-a-7.html#post506090

Images from 2013: http://www.crzforum.com/forum/north-east/13962-watkins-glen-6.html#post210246
-----------------------------------------------------
After the laps we can all eat at a local diner if we want to.

Keep in mind you can make your visit to Watkins Glen an all day event. There is scenic Seneca Lake as well as many fine Finger Lakes wine tasting stops. Also there is Watkins Glen State Park with 19 waterfalls and 200 ft cliffs. You walk along a trail in the gorge next to the stream and waterfalls.

Who wants to go?! I will be messaging/emailing/texting those that have come before, and those that I know live in the area!

See less See more
#2 ·
The first year we had a problem with not everyone arriving on time and going on to the track separately. There are employees there directing you to get into line. Just tell them you are meeting a group and want to wait in the parking lot, they will let you and point you to it. Here is a map to help explain:

You will come in from the right (east) at Gate 2 (there will be a big sign). If you need help with directions you can call THE SHOP at Watkins Glen and they can assist better than I can. 607-535-2338. Or try calling the business phone number The Glen has listed on their website, 607-535-2486.

Anyways, come in from Gate 2. Opening Weekend is busy, there will be a line of cars. You will be directed along. Once you get to the intersection with the red dot I drew, you need to turn left (tell the traffic directing guy if he tries to stop you) to go to the parking lot. After you turn left, the entrance to the parking lot will be on your right within 50-100 feet.

The yellow circle with the letter 'P' is where the parking lot is located.

When everyone has arrived and is ready, we exit the parking lot the way we came in, go back to the red dot. Continue north to the dollar sign '$' in green I drew. This is where you pay for the ticket to enter ($25). Pay in cash, I doubt they take card. Its just guys out there standing and they walk up to your window.

From there we line up in the giant parking lot marked with a red 'L'. This is where we line up, there were two rows of cars last year. Everyone stay together in one row and when the pictures are taken while driving we can see each other in everyone's photos.

The red 'R' is where you enter the race track and begin the laps.

The line may take a while depending on what time of day we do it, anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour. While we are waiting I will go up to one of the guys controlling the number of cars allowed in at a time, and ask that when he sees the group of cr-z's approach, he try to let us all go on at once. In previous years we had 3-5 CRZs + bilzfan's yellow S2000. I imagine we wont have a huge crowd again, so it will be easy for us to stay together.

This post has been deleted
#10 ·
Yeah, in my head I thought it was half that distance! No plans set yet, but the long drive and short time there probably makes it a no-go for me this time. Have fun, and post some pic.

#11 ·
So last year we had some Canadians with us! Fun weekend. Hope they come again this year (just made a new thread for that).
Here's some photos from last year (2016)

Rolling shot while driving there

My boyfriend, RatchetRex, drove his integra last year (has since replaced it with a crz!)

Watkins Glen had a brand new paved track last year, the wait was crazy long

#12 ·
Watkins Glenn this coming weekend, right? I also have been requested to attend the RIT Juggling Festival (in Rochester,) so I'm considering a killing of two birds with one stone weekend. If I don't do either/or, there's a local car show that I might attend instead. That will be a Friday evening choice of a long travel weekend, or just staying local.

Anyone else going to Watkins?:smile2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.