Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have any experience with Honda extended warranties?

I was essentially screwed over by a used car warranty in the past, and don't want that to happen again. I'm trying to get a new car to not have to worry about anything going wrong with the car for a long time (coming from an '02 Mini Cooper S that's out of warranty, it's a biiiiig deal).

Are any of these through Honda themselves or are all of these just dealer added extras through separate companies?? Does anybody know about the pricing of these warranties? I'm looking to extend the bumper to bumper coverage past 36,000 miles, because I drive enough that that might be gone in two years or less.

I've searched the forum and haven't found any information on this, sorry if it's been covered before.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
they're dealer extras, not honda extended. also, i had one that sucked. i had 10 year 100K mile powertrain, and that didn't include gaskets, seals, and most other crap. my engine on my 2.5 year old accord ingested water and i had to claim it on my insurance. not sure if bumper to bumper would be better, i'd read the fine print on EXACTLY what is covered, no matter how long it takes to figure it all out otherwise you might get screwed like me when you find out bumper to bumper doesn't include some component that commonly fails.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I was offered the extended warranty. Third party insurance. Long story short, when read the deal on the "bumper to bumper" coverage, LOTS of stuff was excluded and LOTS of what was covered was already in the Honda warranty, or only extended that a couple years or so. Got my $1,000+ refund just a few days ago. Buyer Beware! :sneaky:

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I was offered the extended warranty. Third party insurance. Long story short, when read the deal on the "bumper to bumper" coverage, LOTS of stuff was excluded and LOTS of what was covered was already in the Honda warranty, or only extended that a couple years or so. Got my $1,000+ refund just a few days ago. Buyer Beware! :sneaky:
smart man. i fell for this before, and like you, got an immediate refund.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Well my last two Dodge Trucks I owned I purchased the 100,000 mile extended warranty on and BOTH of them where GREAT and more than paid for them self with engine, transmission, leaky rear ends and you name it problems. Im lucky I purchased them. That is why I just purchased a Honda CR-Z. Hoping I wont have those problems anymore.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I've never gotten an extended warranty. I've never owned a car long enough to have stuff start failing on me. Generally if I buy it new, I do not destroy it. My fits going on 3 years, 40k miles and strictly just oil, tranny fluids, and tires rotated.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Does anybody have any experience with Honda extended warranties?

I was essentially screwed over by a used car warranty in the past, and don't want that to happen again. I'm trying to get a new car to not have to worry about anything going wrong with the car for a long time (coming from an '02 Mini Cooper S that's out of warranty, it's a biiiiig deal).

Are any of these through Honda themselves or are all of these just dealer added extras through separate companies?? Does anybody know about the pricing of these warranties? I'm looking to extend the bumper to bumper coverage past 36,000 miles, because I drive enough that that might be gone in two years or less.

I've searched the forum and haven't found any information on this, sorry if it's been covered before.

I personally don't buy extended warranty. I can only speaks for myself since have many new Honda vehicles under my belt. I would exhaust the manufacture warranty in less than a year and extended warranty gimmicks is a joke with their exclusion as mention by some of the members here.

I run my vehicles hard as mention on another thread but could not remember where right now. Most of mine goes beyond 100K miles without problems rendering extended warranty waste of money.

·
Registered
270 Posts
We didn't get it (and are wayyyyy past the point of adding it)--I'm talking about the Honda Care Packages, if that's what you are talking about. I bought one of my old cars, a 1996 Civic DX coupe, from the original owner who had purchased the Honda Care package (which is basically an extended warranty). It stays with the car, even if you sell it, like a regular warranty. 6 months after I bought the car the entire computer system failed & had to be replaced. $1k+ repair, but I paid $0 since it was covered. :) I think at the time the car had a little over 100k miles on it, maybe 110k? Anyway, was happy to have it since I made very little money at the time, and didn't HAVE $1k for the repair.

No idea how much they cost or whether or not it's worth it for this car though. Honestly, my Hondas have been good to me over the years, and I drive enough, I'll probably blow through the warranty in no time.

·
Registered
72 Posts
If you are to get an extended warranty, I would get one from the dealer. DO NOT get one from and after market vendor. The ones that say they will warranty your car even if it has over 100K miles. I know several people that have bought one and were taken for a ride and screwed by those companies. Stick with a dealer warranty if you are to buy one.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Rule of thumb is that the service contracts prey on the insecurities of people.

The typical warranty expense per unit (not considering hybrid tech) in the auto business is about $400 to $700 over the life of the factory warranty. Larger cars with more extreme usage tend to have higher manufacturer warranty obligations.

Obviously the higher costs of hybrid component replacement is well known; the only way a service contract would be beneficial to a buyer would be if the service contract covered a full hybrid system repair during the extended service coverage (the portion above and beyond the 100K that Honda offers) - and most of the extended warranties will not offer a full re-imbursement. Remember that requisite factory warranty on hybrid components vary by state, so you'll have to consult the documentation received at the time of sale.

The incremental cost of the service contracts is typically 500% of what a typical vehicle will experience in repairs during the service contract's extended coverage. This means you're way overpaying for something that you will likely never use.

Service contracts are a waste of money unless you are highly risk averse.

·
Registered
438 Posts
speaking of service contracts. The dealership I purchased our Accord and CR-Z from actually offers a refundable extended warranty. I know there is the issue of paying interest on it if you finance the car, but I thought it was a very interesting concept. If you dont use it, after it runs out, via either time or milage, you have 180 days to request a refund for the entire purchase price of the warranty.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
speaking of service contracts. The dealership I purchased our Accord and CR-Z from actually offers a refundable extended warranty. I know there is the issue of paying interest on it if you finance the car, but I thought it was a very interesting concept. If you dont use it, after it runs out, via either time or milage, you have 180 days to request a refund for the entire purchase price of the warranty.
Good point. If you are opting for additional coverage - should check and see if it is refundable if not used....

·
Registered
153 Posts
Our dealer offered several options, but the 5 year/80K Honda (not aftermarket) warranty for 1300.00 with a 100.00 deductible was most appropriate. Seemed excessive, but I have been screwed in the past. Our BMW had engine issues about a year after the warranty was up and we ended up having to get a lawyer to solve the issue. I'm on the fence with the Honda warranty.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.