Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was not sure where to put this post eg technical etc so I went general.

At the weekend while driving the CRZ I reverse up a small kerb into a parking bay to turn then drove off. As I drove off there was a terrible metallic squealing from under the car. It sounded like something was dragging at first. On looking under and driving slowly it was clear it was coming from the wheels/brakes. It was as if something was trapped inbetween the pads and discs. I phoned Honda at the time, they took my number.... no one called back - yeah for service! As I was near home i drove it the short distance and it squealed loudly off and on. After parking I was going to take it to Honda as I needed the car running this week. When I started the car back up the noise was gone. Now I think what happened was that the anti-roll back brake had activated itself and remained on while driving. If this is the case I think that could be problematic to drivers and post this as a warning to others to watch out for it. I am going to take it up with Honda meantime as it must be a control error of some kind.

Take care.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Ugh, doesn't sound too great. OP, did you turn your car off, take the key out and restart it? I'd think that'd reset the rollback brake.

I don't think I even have a rollback brake, since I have a CVT.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Sounds like a small pebble wedged itself between the rotor and brake pad. This can happen with disc brakes. Look for a mark on the rotor where it scratched it. No biggie, but the noise can be scary.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ugh, doesn't sound too great. OP, did you turn your car off, take the key out and restart it? I'd think that'd reset the rollback brake.

I don't think I even have a rollback brake, since I have a CVT.
Yes it went away when the car was turned off and key removed then re-started, problem/noise gone. That is why I think it was the auto brake at fault.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Sounds like a small pebble wedged itself between the rotor and brake pad. This can happen with disc brakes. Look for a mark on the rotor where it scratched it. No biggie, but the noise can be scary.
Actually, now that you mention it this is probably the culprit. I used to go to off-road parks in my FJ. I hate mud, but in TX it's everywhere. But I really dig technical ascents and decents. Every time I'd get into mud (pretty often) I would get a rock between the pad and rotor. On the way home it'd squeel and sound aweful.

:eek:fftopic: My solution was to remove the tire and hit the caliper w/ a rubber mallet. Not too hard, as I believe the calipers in both the FJ and CR-Z are 'floating' mount. But keep hitting it and try to wiggle the calliper a bit. You'll get it out.

Edit:

Yes it went away when the car was turned off and key removed then re-started, problem/noise gone. That is why I think it was the auto brake at fault.
Hmmm. Could well be the rollback brake feature. Is there a sensor that it works off of? If not how does it work? Question's for whoever can answer it.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
i dont have the technical details but as far as a laymans explanation:

HONDA.com said:
The CR-Z 6-speed manual includes the hill start assist feature. When the driver releases the brake to activate the throttle pedal, hill start assist maintains brake pressure for about 1.5 seconds to prevent the CR-Z from unintentionally rolling backward until the driver is ready. The system releases brake pressure when engine torque increases, allowing a smooth and controllable drive-away. The system does not operate when the transmission is in reverse.

It sounds like the car is using the normal brakes for hill assist. It probably has a sensor somewhere because if i stop on a really shallow hill the car still rolls a bit when i put it in gear. On steeper hills i can tell that hill start is on. If there was no sensor i would expect the hill start assist to just work at all times, leaving the brakes engaged for 1.5 seconds after the brake is released.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
i think its the hill assist, which seems to be picky on when it activates cuz ive been on some hills and it didnt even come on, guess i have the reverse problem the OP has his goes on wont go off my wont even come on so no need to go off.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I don't know what is happening here. I have a CVT. Even if I had a 6mt, there are absolutely no hills in Houston. The highest we get is a freeway overpass or an exchange. :(

·
Registered
117 Posts
I also started to notice this hissing sound coming from the wheels. Looks like something is scratching the braking disc. I had a look at the wheel and couldn't see anything.

I drive mostly in flat terrain so wouldn't think it's the hill assist that gets activated. I started the car occasionally in some hills and the hill assist did activate correctly and disengaged right after.

Today, I noticed the braking pedal sometimes was kind of loose.

There are no warning lights showing up and the car is braking as normally.

Could this be a serious issue or am I just being too alarming?

·
Registered
609 Posts
I also started to notice this hissing sound coming from the wheels. Looks like something is scratching the braking disc. I had a look at the wheel and couldn't see anything.

I drive mostly in flat terrain so wouldn't think it's the hill assist that gets activated. I started the car occasionally in some hills and the hill assist did activate correctly and disengaged right after.

Today, I noticed the braking pedal sometimes was kind of loose.

There are no warning lights showing up and the car is braking as normally.

Could this be a serious issue or am I just being too alarming?
imho, always best to get anything to do with brakes checked out. Don't know what your situation is in Gibralter, but if you can take it in to the dealer under warranty, then get it looked at. My brake pedal on my 6mt has never seemed to be "loose". At the very least, are there any other CR-Z's around you could compare this to (check how loose their pedals feel)?

·
Registered
117 Posts
imho, always best to get anything to do with brakes checked out. Don't know what your situation is in Gibralter, but if you can take it in to the dealer under warranty, then get it looked at. My brake pedal on my 6mt has never seemed to be "loose". At the very least, are there any other CR-Z's around you could compare this to (check how loose their pedals feel)?
Thanks for the feedback.

I'll take the car to the garage, just in case. It should be covered by the warranty.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I get this too. it's just the brake pads lightly touching the disc usually at low speeds. On light brake application it sounds like 'pfffffffffffffffffffff'. My STi with those huge Brembos used to do it loudly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.