Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
CR-Z 2010
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I got CR-z 2010, Almost 30000km done. Issue is I got VSA, ABS and IMA lights on dash. Radio ,interior lights, Remote key noting working. what can be the cause ? any recommendations thanks in advance ?

·
Registered
CR-Z 2010
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most likely cause is a dead or very close to dead 12-volt battery. The one under the hood/Bonnet.
thanks , but battery is brand new. Do we need to scan it after battery replacement ?

·
Registered
2013 Honda CR-Z EX Nav (Passion Berry Pearl)
7 Posts
Is there good contact being made with the battery terminals? This sounds exactly like the issue I had when trying to test drive a used one a few weeks ago, ended up being the 12v battery causing the problem.

·
Registered
CR-Z 2010
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually I bought it new , when I got it VSA and ABS on dash. After two days IMA started to popup on dash . I wonder why it is not recognizing my key and interior lights, stereo system not working

·
Super Moderator
5,609 Posts
These cars were built between 2010 and 2016 if you bought it new(recently) then it has been sitting a long time and if the under hood battery passes a load test ( with car not running) then you have bigger issues. Usually when you see VSA, ABS and other lights on the dash and the other issues you have mentioned it is a failed under hood battery. Clean the terminals with baking soda and water. Clean them well make sure they are tight. Have battery charged and then take the car to a Honda dealer who is familiar with CR-Zs. Car is 10 years old if battery is the OEM with the "Eye" it is well past time to replace it.

Battery can be brand new and fail. If battery tests good and terminals are clean you may have a bigger IMA issue and you maybe the first person ever on this forum to have to replace the IMA battery. But I doubt it.

All of us are owners and are very familiar with the parade of lights and the not being able to start the car etc it is almost always the under hood battery has failed.

Car has about 18000 Miles on it and is 10 years old, that is very low mileage for a CR-Z so the whole IMA system and especially the under hood battery is suspect. REPLACE THE UNDER HOOD BATTERY first. If still having issues then it needs to be diagnosed by a dealer familiar with CR-Zs.

You claim battery is new. What is the date code on the battery? Does it have the eye or not? Car is definitely not new being a 2010 it maybe what is called a left over. Cars do not get better sitting especially a CR-Z which has an IMA battery that needs to be run at least 30 minutes continuously once a month. There is a big sticker under the hood about this.

If you are new owner and the dealer you bought it from is not familiar with CR-Zs there is a Fuse labeled backup under the dash that has a red line around it. That fuse is left out when car is being shipped from Japan. If that fuse is out then then IMA system does not charge. The probability of this is very minuscule but after rereading your posts several times and considering the low mileage on the car it is possible but improbable.

Once you get the battery issue(s) resolved and if you recently got the car highly consider having every fluid and filter in the car changed as the fluids even if just sitting can cause damage.

·
Registered
CR-Z 2010
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
These cars were built between 2010 and 2016 if you bought it new(recently) then it has been sitting a long time and if the under hood battery passes a load test ( with car not running) then you have bigger issues. Usually when you see VSA, ABS and other lights on the dash and the other issues you have mentioned it is a failed under hood battery. Clean the terminals with baking soda and water. Clean them well make sure they are tight. Have battery charged and then take the car to a Honda dealer who is familiar with CR-Zs. Car is 10 years old if battery is the OEM with the "Eye" it is well past time to replace it.

Battery can be brand new and fail. If battery tests good and terminals are clean you may have a bigger IMA issue and you maybe the first person ever on this forum to have to replace the IMA battery. But I doubt it.

All of us are owners and are very familiar with the parade of lights and the not being able to start the car etc it is almost always the under hood battery has failed.

Car has about 18000 Miles on it and is 10 years old, that is very low mileage for a CR-Z so the whole IMA system and especially the under hood battery is suspect. REPLACE THE UNDER HOOD BATTERY first. If still having issues then it needs to be diagnosed by a dealer familiar with CR-Zs.

You claim battery is new. What is the date code on the battery? Does it have the eye or not? Car is definitely not new being a 2010 it maybe what is called a left over. Cars do not get better sitting especially a CR-Z which has an IMA battery that needs to be run at least 30 minutes continuously once a month. There is a big sticker under the hood about this.

If you are new owner and the dealer you bought it from is not familiar with CR-Zs there is a Fuse labeled backup under the dash that has a red line around it. That fuse is left out when car is being shipped from Japan. If that fuse is out then then IMA system does not charge. The probability of this is very minuscule but after rereading your posts several times and considering the low mileage on the car it is possible but improbable.

Once you get the battery issue(s) resolved and if you recently got the car highly consider having every fluid and filter in the car changed as the fluids even if just sitting can cause damage.
Thank you for the guide. I booked a service at Honda . Will update whats exactly happens

·
Super Moderator
5,609 Posts
Before booking it did you see if the Backup fuse is in place?
Has under hood Battery Been Load tested?
Have you confirmed the under hood battery connections are clean and tight?
Does battery have the eye and if it does not what is the date code on the under hood battery?

All of the above are quick things you can check yourself for free.

Since you have not had it that long I hope any service it needs is covered by warranty.

Thank you for the guide. I booked a service at Honda . Will update whats exactly happens

·
Registered
CR-Z 2010
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Before booking it did you see if the Backup fuse is in place?
Has under hood Battery Been Load tested?
Have you confirmed the under hood battery connections are clean and tight?
Does battery have the eye and if it does not what is the date code on the under hood battery?

All of the above are quick things you can check yourself for free.

Since you have not had it that long I hope any service it needs is covered by warranty.
I checked backup fuse is there . Can you please explain whats is the backup fuse ? I mean whats is the function?

·
Super Moderator
5,609 Posts
It is the Fuse that is removed for when the car is shipped from Japan( where car is made) to where it is delivered world wide. it allows the car to move under its own power but prevents discharge of the IMA battery. As i stated when i first mentioned it that it was a very improbable thing to have been missed on delivery but you needed to check.

I checked backup fuse is there . Can you please explain whats is the backup fuse ? I mean whats is the function?

·
Registered
CR-Z 2010
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is the Fuse that is removed for when the car is shipped from Japan( where car is made) to where it is delivered world wide. it allows the car to move under its own power but prevents discharge of the IMA battery. As i stated when i first mentioned it that it was a very improbable thing to have been missed on delivery but you needed to check.
I checked it’s there. If backup fuse blown off can it cause above mention issues? Such as no power to radio, no interior lights, IMA not functioning and ABS , VSA and IMA lights on dash ??

·
Super Moderator
5,609 Posts
Possibly but if you remove the fuse it is transparent and you can see if it is blown. I still say your underhood battery is dead all the symtoms you listed are typical for that battery to be dead.

I checked it’s there. If backup fuse blown off can it cause above mention issues? Such as no power to radio, no interior lights, IMA not functioning and ABS , VSA and IMA lights on dash ??

·
Super Moderator
5,609 Posts

See! Replacing under hood battery eliminates issues!

·
Registered
CR-Z 2010
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

See! Replacing under hood battery eliminates issues!

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
If you're 12 volt battery is brand new than you need to return it and get a new new one. Have it tested before installing properly. That should fix the problems, if not than it's likely going to get real expensive.

·
Registered
CR-Z 2010
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Possibly but if you remove the fuse it is transparent and you can see if it is blown. I still say your underhood battery is dead all the symtoms you listed are typical for that battery to be dead.
I replaced backup fuse. Everything working but ABS and VSA still on dash 😞

·
Super Moderator
5,609 Posts
was Fuse Blown?

If you still have lights on the dash car can still be in limp home mode and may need X number of miles driven or Y number of start cycles. And Battery can still be faulty have you load tested it?

I replaced backup fuse. Everything working but ABS and VSA still on dash 😞

1 - 20 of 33 Posts