Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, sorry for asking this but ive been trying to search with little luck. I just want to know what exactly the CRZ has for some sort of VTEC. First things first though,

i know what VTEC is, i know what i-vtec is, i already know what vtec sounds like so we dont need any youtube links haha.

I just am wondering what there is, is the vtec simmilar to the r18 with the economy cam profile and the "high output" cam profile, or is there one cam profile essentially making the CRZ nonvtec?

When i test drove the CRZ it sounded almost like it had some sort of VTEC going on, i quite liked it! But i never felt anything engage or if i did i passed it off as such a minimal boost that its bearly noticable.

Honestly very sorry for asking this newbish question, but i must know!

·
Registered
237 Posts
It sort of feels like VTAAAKKK! if you switch from Eco to Sport while accelerating. :p

In all seriousness though, I do not believe there is a valve timing change with this engine, no.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
the iVTEC in the LEA1 is similar to the R18's... i think you're looking for a performance VTEC like the K20 or something... i've heard some people say they feel it go faster around 3500-4000 rpm... but honestly if you have to ask if it has VTEC (like you're referring to) then i don't think it does... it's purely for economy and not performance...

Dealer told me today that either 2012 or 2013 will be an all gas motor CRZ, I would assume with vtech and possibly a turbo.
this is not the first post i've responded to you about this... Honda has NEVER had intentions to release the CR-Z as a gas-only vehicle... it was intended from the START to be a Hybrid... please smack that person who told you this rubbish...

·
Registered
693 Posts
Dealer told me today that either 2012 or 2013 will be an all gas motor CRZ, I would assume with vtech and possibly a turbo.
If you hang around car forums long enough you will learn that the dealers are always the last to know what is headed to their showrooms. Anything a dealer tells you is pure speculation and is almost always wrong.

If Honda ever decides to make a non hybrid CRZ,you will hear it right here a good 2 months before any dealer will even have a clue.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Honda Media Newsroom - CR-Z - 2011 Honda CR-Z: Powertrain

"At low RPM, where low lift and shorter duration provide optimal operation, the timing of the two intake valves is staggered and the lift asymmetrically skewed in favor of the primary valve. This helps to create a swirl effect within the combustion chamber that increases the efficiency of the burn process. Above approximately 2,300 RPM, a hydraulically actuated spool valve causes a locking pin to engage the secondary rocker arm with the primary one, transitioning the secondary valve into a long-duration mode that increases the volume of air/fuel mixture moving into the combustion chamber. The additional air/fuel mixture helps increase power at high RPM."

Is it similar to r18? Yes, it's still VTEC. Is it the same as r18? No, otherwise it would be r15 not L15.

When i test drove the CRZ it sounded almost like it had some sort of VTEC going on, i quite liked it! !
If you are referring to exhaust note, it is the way Honda tunes it. It gives you a nice sound above 3000rpm.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
If you hang around car forums long enough you will learn that the dealers are always the last to know what is headed to their showrooms. Anything a dealer tells you is pure speculation and is almost always wrong.

If Honda ever decides to make a non hybrid CRZ,you will hear it right here a good 2 months before any dealer will even have a clue.
X10! My dealer hadnt even heard of the CR-Z even in mid 2010.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
If you hang around car forums long enough you will learn that the dealers are always the last to know what is headed to their showrooms.
I had to tell my local dealer what the name of the Ridgeline was going to be before they came out.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Honda Media Newsroom - CR-Z - 2011 Honda CR-Z: Powertrain

"At low RPM, where low lift and shorter duration provide optimal operation, the timing of the two intake valves is staggered and the lift asymmetrically skewed in favor of the primary valve. This helps to create a swirl effect within the combustion chamber that increases the efficiency of the burn process. Above approximately 2,300 RPM, a hydraulically actuated spool valve causes a locking pin to engage the secondary rocker arm with the primary one, transitioning the secondary valve into a long-duration mode that increases the volume of air/fuel mixture moving into the combustion chamber. The additional air/fuel mixture helps increase power at high RPM."

Is it similar to r18? Yes, it's still VTEC. Is it the same as r18? No, otherwise it would be r15 not L15.

If you are referring to exhaust note, it is the way Honda tunes it. It gives you a nice sound above 3000rpm.
this is what im looking for!, no this isnt similar to the R18, the R18 works by having two intake cam profiles, one for fuel effeciency, one for "high output". When vtec is engaged the fuel effecient cam is engaged, vtec disengages at any point when the ECU thinks the R18 needs more power, so you dont necessearily have a consistent vtec crossover at 4600. Its not real vtec, its backwards.

It seems to me that the L15 or LEA1 or whatever engine we have has Vtec going by what you posted, its just the staggered intake cam profile at mid to low rpm would make the engine more effecient at those speeds and when the vtec crossover happens you wouldnt notice it as much.

You can hear and feel vtec crossovers on sohc engines, such as D16's and even the JDM D15's, its just not as pronounced as a dohc motor but its still there. When i get my crz friday i'll listen for the crossover, but at high rpm it didnt sound like a regular nonvtec sohc to me when i test drove.

thanks all who posted! i think i get it now. Honda is doing tons of different crap on like every model it has these years...

·
Registered
237 Posts
I stand corrected.

Could've fooled me.

i-Vtec is weird though. There's no "kick" like there was in the cars from the 90's. No sound change, no anything. It just happens.

You can't even see it in a dyno chart.

My old Civic Si (w/i-Vtec) vs. the CR-Z

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.