Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know how to turn the VSA off when the TPMS light is on? I just put some snow tires (Nokian Hak R-Factory Spec size) on 16" steel rims that I had used on my '08 Si. Of course I didn't want to buy new TPMS sensors, they are super expensive and I didn't want to pay the tire shop to swap the sensors back and forth twice a year between the two rims. I went with steel rims because I have them already, don't need to worry about bangin up my alloy ones and it's cheaper to just swap rather than remount and balance, plus no wear and tear on the alloy's mounting and remounting, etc.

In the past couple of years on my Si, I just put some black tape over the idiot light and drove on. (I don't know how we all survived without idiot lights to tell us to check our tire pressure in the past!) Anyway, we really got dumped on today with snow and when coming up my driveway the VSA basically shut me down. When I went to shut the VSA off, it wouldn't turn off (It's only off when the VSA Off light is on). I check the owner's manual (page 215) and it says you can't turn the VSA off when the TPMS light is on....urgh!! I like to be able to spin my tires now and again when either stuck a bit in snow or getting up my steep driveway and I really like snow tires on steel rims...

Any ideas about how to get around this without having to buy new sensors or swap the current ones around...?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes, those TPMS sensors - what a joke... At least for those of us who religiously check our tire pressures and have two wheel sets. I started a thread on this in the Tire & Wheel section since I had the same questions as you - didn't know about the VSA light on top of it though (we don't have our CR-Z yet - still waiting for it to arrive at the dealer but I have ordered a winter wheel and tire package for it already). I ended up ordering the sensors with the winter wheel set from the TireRack and then ordered a TPMS programing tool called the ATEQ TPMS QuickSet tool from a place called Revolution Supply Inc.

The tool is $125 bucks so it should pay for itself in the first couple wheel swaps - if it actually works??? As I said, my wife hasn't picked up her car yet and I just ordered the TPMS tool today so I have no idea how well it will work - it does sound pretty slick though and it is mentioned often on other Honda and Toyota forums in pretty high regards.

Sorry, I don't know if TPMS sensors are able to fit on steel wheels. It looks like the way they mount (specifically the way the stem seals) they won't. Most likely why the TireRack shows no steel winter wheels anymore since the TPMS BS started???

I know, not much help, and seeing by the age of this thread (a month old) and no other replies - I don't think there are many options open to us??? Sensors or orange lights - which to ignore???

Oh well, if you found a good solution other than the one I went with (that I'm not even sure will work) let us other winter wheel people in on it - I'm sure it's a common question/issue.

Cheers, John

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Clarification

Just to clarify...You cannot turn the VSA OFF with the TPMS light on I know it's kind of a double negative but the VSA is off when the light is on. (I forget which page, but it's in the owners manual in the VSA section.)

This means, you must rely on the VSA, which generally works well. However, sometimes I want to turn the VSA off, like when I'm in deep snow and want to be able to spin the wheels and/or rock back and forth a bit. This has happened to me twice on my steep driveway after a good snowfall. I'm totally at the whim of the VSA which thinks it is helping me by not allowing my wheels to spin when really it is just dogging me down in the snow and not moving the car. Sport mode works better than econ as I can rev it a bit more. Basically, I just fight the VSA computer and usually lose...

I think I'll bite the bullet and buy the TPMS sensors, but this as they say, this bites!

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Discount Tire (if you have one nearby) will do the sensors for about $44 each (did mine for that) and set them up on the car also.... not cheap... but not that bad either

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.