Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 21 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

As the title suggests, my 2011 CRZ EX dash lit up with "Check VSA System" and "Check ABS System" in the middle of the day, seemingly out of nowhere. I've read some that this happens after the battery dies, however, my battery didn't die and the car starts up no problem.

It is also 100 degrees today and has been for 3 days, wondering if that could spark this issue?

Any and all advice or insight is greatly appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
7,160 Posts
Battery can have low voltage/capacity and only way to know for sure is to have a load test done on the battery. As you have 2 related warning lights on, it would be be a good idea to get the codes. Usually the battery issue will be indicated by ABS, VSA and IMA lights on together. As it is only ABS and VSA then that is a whole constellation of other possibilities. Most car parts places will pull the codes for free and they load test batteries for free. Once you have the additional information we can assist you.

When was the last time your brake fluid was flushed and replaced? Brake fluid absorbs water and can boil at a lower temperature than if it was fresh and not contaminated. As temp has been high there is a slight possibility of water in the brake fluid that is boiling. There are test strips you can get to test that or you can simply just have it flushed ,filled and bled.

There have been a few postings where the ABS module needed to be repaired or replaced or another part of the ABS system needed repair.

Once we have the codes we can attempt to direct you to the correct trouble shooting process for your particular issue.

Good Luck

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Battery can have low voltage/capacity and only way to know for sure is to have a load test done on the battery. As you have 2 related warning lights on, it would be be a good idea to get the codes. Usually the battery issue will be indicated by ABS, VSA and IMA lights on together. As it is only ABS and VSA then that is a whole constellation of other possibilities. Most car parts places will pull the codes for free and they load test batteries for free. Once you have the additional information we can assist you.

When was the last time your brake fluid was flushed and replaced? Brake fluid absorbs water and can boil at a lower temperature than if it was fresh and not contaminated. As temp has been high there is a slight possibility of water in the brake fluid that is boiling. There are test strips you can get to test that or you can simply just have it flushed ,filled and bled.

There have been a few postings where the ABS module needed to be repaired or replaced or another part of the ABS system needed repair.

Once we have the codes we can attempt to direct you to the correct trouble shooting process for your particular issue.

Good Luck
Here are some codes we found ...
As for the ABS system, the code was "52-01" "Motor Stuck" ....

Any ideas?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you load tested the 12v battery as has been mentioned.
I guess I'm not sure how to load test, I thought my friend's diagnostic tool that pulled all the codes and Battery Voltage was doing that.
I have a picture here:

·
Super Moderator
7,160 Posts
Any car parts place can do the load test for free. Big thng to remember is load test ( especially on a Hybrid) needs to be done with the car not running or the battery not connected to the car. if car is running then the readings for voltage are from the IMA system.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Any car parts place can do the load test for free. Big thng to remember is load test ( especially on a Hybrid) needs to be done with the car not running or the battery not connected to the car. if car is running then the readings for voltage are from the IMA system.
Ahhhhh, good to know. Thank you, I will go get it checked!!

·
Super Moderator
7,160 Posts
While you are there they can also pull the codes for free that way at least you will know the other device is accurate. All bets are off if they disconnect the battery prior to pulling the codes so Codes first then Load test.

Ahhhhh, good to know. Thank you, I will go get it checked!!

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
The readings in that picture make no sense.
Lol no way! 2,493 volts is perfectly normal.
While you are there they can also pull the codes for free that way at least you will know the other device is accurate. All bets are off if they disconnect the battery prior to pulling the codes so Codes first then Load test.
Yes, confirm these codes. Then:
Any ideas?
I would do a hard reset (battery disconnect for bit) and then drive like normal and see if it reoccurs. That's just my process for weird codes though. One time, whatever, if it comes back however then you have confirmation.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you! While I have you here, this "Motor Stuck" code pulled these possible failures:

Any experience with something like this?

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Just a heads up since I'm looking at the Factory Service Manual diagnostic for the DTC 52 "motor stuck" and towards the end, after checking continuity of various harnesses and conecctors for the VSA modulator control unit, if all else is good it will require a substitute VSA computer. But lets not talk about that yet.

·
Super Moderator
7,160 Posts
Lol no way! 2,493 volts is perfectly normal.

Yes, confirm these codes. Then:

I would do a hard reset (battery disconnect for bit) and then drive like normal and see if it reoccurs. That's just my process for weird codes though. One time, whatever, if it comes back however then you have confirmation.
I highly recommend not disconnecting the battery for a reset it can cause unintentional consequences.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I highly recommend not disconnecting the battery for a reset it can cause unintentional consequences.
I very much disagree; disconnecting the 12V is a normal procedure for a whole plethora of maintenance and repairs.

In OP's case DTC 52 for stuck VSA ("ABS") motor specifically lists "intermittent failure" system ok at this time at various points in the troubleshooting guide. This would then require clearing the codes. They can clear the codes using the OBD tool pictured above but considering the readings shown are highly questionable (and thus the tool cannot be completely trusted) I'd clear everything with absolute certainty by disconnecting the 12V. I wouldn't recommend doing anything I wouldn't personally do in their situation.

The next steps in the troubleshooting process for this code, after inspecting that above listed fuse, involves backprobing the VSA modulator control unit pins and wire harness to check for continuity. Then clearing the code with HDS.

·
Super Moderator
7,160 Posts
Lets agree to disagree on this . In this case it might be recommended but in general there is always a chance that things like the Crank position sensor will need to be relearned and other issues. It can also clear codes for other things that have not been seen yet. The scanner above I would not trust and have it scanned elsewhere with a reliable tool and have the one code reset.

A lot of persons have recommended disconnecting the battery and resetting it all as the fix for anything and not part of the detailed trouble shooting process. It has been mentioned 100s of times on this forum and others and I used to recommend the same thing but most of the persons have come back and said the code came back and they were unable to fix it permanently without further trouble shooting by the published process and in some cases had to do processes for other sytems that lost settings that had been learned.

If the FSM recommends it and you are sure you are following the correct process then go ahead but do not consider it the panacea that many feel it is. Same with people stating the code points to a specific part to replace. It points to the process to narrow down the issue further.

1 - 21 of 21 Posts