Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it me or are you guys also noticing that the paint job on these cars are very delicate?

i mean the slightest pressure and you get a scratch!

i mean i saw some bird s*** on my car wiped it with a wet cloth and what was left? some small scratches! today i was parking up and i brushed past a tiny bush growing on a tree which had a few of them twigs with leaves sticking...didnt hear any noise...came out and again hairline scratch on the side...

the other day saw some bits of dirt/mud on the bottom side near the wing panel, again wet cloth > wipe and it left a scratch...

i mean WTF!

on my old toyota corolla 2005 plate i used to scrub hard to get bird crap off and it left not a single mark! brushed past hard branches of twigs and nothing!

i feel very conscious now that any tiny bit of 'rubbing' will scratch the paintwork!

i have the blackpearl colour by the way.

anyone else have any similar problems?

·
Registered
133 Posts
The Suzuka (Japan) factory has never been known for great paint jobs. Both the NSX and S2000 also had orange peel issues. The new water-based paints are harder to level and are seriously affected by humidity. U.S. made cars do not seem to suffer to the same extent in paint quality, probably due to better controlled humidity in U.S. factories. Even Canadian and Mexican factories seem to produce better paint jobs.

On the plus side, the thickness of the clear coat on most cars, including the CR-Z is sufficient to have it color sanded and buffed. And small scratches, like you've experienced should rub out easily with a mild rubbing compound. The clear coat hardness should improve with age. But you're right, it does seem softer than many contemporary cars.

·
Registered
887 Posts
My city decided to let salt trucks go down narrow 1 way streets for the first time ever after about 2 weeks of ice on the ground (seriously 2 days before warm weather when its going to melt anyway.. why couldn't they wait?!?!)
So, I was at a clients office, parked on side street. Watched the salt truck go around the corner. stop next to my car. Turn on the spreader and very slowly start going. It sounded like..... rocks inside a garbage disposal or something, all those salt rocks slamming up against my paint.
I'm cleaning the car tomorrow or the next day and am really afraid..... I managed to keep the car clean and out of bad weather for the past 6 months until that day, too.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oldchap14 it definetely is soft paint and its just annoying i feel scared that any kind of scrape even on leaves will leave a scratch!

and hybridkoop i think you are right it is definitely crayon paint!

couldnt they just have used 'normal' paint for the job like all the other cars?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I can't say that I find my Storm Silver worse than any other paint I have had on a car (many Honda's, BMW, VW) but then again none have been particually great.

The fact yours is black could be part of the issue, I have never found black paint good. Particualy for showing scratch's, swirls and chips - but it is easier to touch in when you do have a chip!

I am finding the weakest part of my CR-Z (apart from wheel corrosion) is impact marks from stones on the front bumper. I do a 50 mile a day moterway commute though so it is to be expected unfortunatly :(

Also the colour match of the plastic bumpers to the body isn't great, all the Storm Silvers I have seem are the same so I am living with it.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I have to tell you guys... I've read this same thread on:

Porsche forums
Boxster forums
350Z forums
Here

The bottom line is that all cars will chip unless you don't drive them. I honestly don't believe Honda paint is any more or less fragile than anyone else's.

For me, clear bra was the thing that gave me peace of mind and let me stop fretting about rock chips.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Also, to the original poster - www.zainobros.com is your answer, it honestly does an amazing job at filling those fine clearcoat scratches. It is truly great stuff.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.