Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I read this: Sound deadening my 'Z thank you OP for that. Very informative. I did similar like that on a prior vehicle and the results were also lack luster for the work involved. Although, this was back in 2005 when the more advanced stuff and information wasn’t widely known.. a time when everyone used dynamat for everything. I did have solid sounding doors though😏

Currently:
So I am in the process of blacking out all the grey plastics and headliner in the interior.

I’ve got 6 yards of felt fabric on hand and thought about applying a layer of it via adhesive glue to the key areas for sound mediation such inside parts of the plastic pieces, metal panels, headliner etc. while I’ve got everything out.

Would it help at all or just a waste of time? If it would help, what’s the “smartest” way to do so? Ie. certain key areas to focus on and areas to avoid.

Because unwanted sound is a wild beast yet to be fully understood or tamed. I’m hoping to gather knowledge from ye wiser audiophile guys/gals

This is a budget project so I’m not really going all out or want to spend more, just seeing if this felt fabric can be put to good use.

Also:
Has anyone upholstered the plastic rear “seats”? I know they are not seats but just some ideas.

thanks!

·
Registered
412 Posts
I don't know if anyone has mentioned it but, I would think the huge roof could use some sound deadening. IMO, that would help knock some of the noise down. This would require some finagaling with the head liner.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
TLDR: How is felt fabric/material best used in sound-proofing/sound-deadening sound transmission mitigation applications?

—-
Hey thanks, yea the headliners coming out so I can paint it, just trying to figure if putting felt there would be a waste of time or not.

I think MrFastFox or someone else mentions the roof it in his thread. Sound deadening my 'Z

Sound deadening is tricky and I’ve been in that situation where at the end of doing a lot of “what should work.” The time+money+work put in = disappointing results.

From what I’ve gathered so far. Looks like in the last 20 years, a bunch of new acoustic deadenin/proofing products and materials are now available on a consumer level. However, each material has different properties in how it affects sound transmission so must be applied and used properly in order to be effective.

With the felt fabric- It doesn’t have a lot of mass, so I wouldn’t expect it to “block” much.I imagine it’s somewhat absorbent of sound. But doesn’t seem very effective at stopping vibrations unless It’s glued good to the metal. But these are just guesses.

·
Administrator
7,871 Posts
One of the products I have seen mentioned is https://lizardskin.com/. I highly doubt just adding a thin layer of felt will do anything major especially considering how little space there is between the head liner and the roof panel. It might stop rattling? If it were me I would try to find information from companies that modify cars professionally. Some have talked about small pieces of sound deadening material added to stop noise transmitting across the panel. Our roof panels are very thin and flex a lot. There is a lot of hype regarding this topic. But if it does do anything let us know.

While you have the head liner out you may want to check you shark fin and make sure it is still attached well. While you have the headliner out you will have access to the nut that holds it to the roof and can do any repairs it might need.

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
775 Posts
I'm glad you found my post helpful.

As for the roof, it has zero sound deadening, so I added the rubber butyl stuff. The roof went from sounding like a tin can when knocked to sounding like a solid piece.

As for the underwhelming results, someone suggested that I'm missing a layer; a mass loaded vynil. Apparently this is the actual sound blocking layer and this need to cover everything, it has to be almost air tight.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To me, the felt would be much better served as a weed barrier in your garden.
Would it really work for that?

I presume it would have to somehow be laid prior to sowing, but after any gopher barriers (if applicable) or would it only work when transplanting those grass squares?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm glad you found my post helpful.

As for the roof, it has zero sound deadening, so I added the rubber butyl stuff. The roof went from sounding like a tin can when knocked to sounding like a solid piece.

As for the underwhelming results, someone suggested that I'm missing a layer; a mass loaded vynil. Apparently this is the actual sound blocking layer and this need to cover everything, it has to be almost air tight.
Yes, very helpful indeed along with the responses!

That’s how the doors sounded on my previous car after sealing the holes and two layers of dynamat ( rubber butyl)..from hollow tin can to solid Mercedes’ “thump.

I believe MLV’s have a effective rating scale, called STC since it’s used to actually “prevent sound transmission” however I do not know if it’s a industry wide standard, just seen that in the home sound proofing world

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One of the products I have seen mentioned is https://lizardskin.com/. I highly doubt just adding a thin layer of felt will do anything major especially considering how little space there is between the head liner and the roof panel. It might stop rattling? If it were me I would try to find information from companies that modify cars professionally. Some have talked about small pieces of sound deadening material added to stop noise transmitting across the panel. Our roof panels are very thin and flex a lot. There is a lot of hype regarding this topic. But if it does do anything let us know.

While you have the head liner out you may want to check you shark fin and make sure it is still attached well. While you have the headliner out you will have access to the nut that holds it to the roof and can do any repairs it might need.

Looked into the lizard skin, I’ve never heard of it but seems like good stuff! Although they do not advise brush or roller application for anything >1 square foot. I’d probably still do it if I did the roof though. 😂.

Also found this stuff for cheaper while researching the Lizard Skin Acry-Tech Acoust-X 1 Gallon Absorption Coating Paintable Damping Material. A comparison video or review would be nice to find.

Thanks for the heads up on the shark fin. I appreciate those “while youre at it, may as well do that too” type comments because it prevents
the “dang it, I already put it all back together” comment.😂😭😫

I have really low expectations as well, I’ll report it back soon.

·
Administrator
7,871 Posts
Looked into the lizard skin, I’ve never heard of it but seems like good stuff! Although they do not advise brush or roller application for anything >1 square foot. I’d probably still do it if I did the roof though. 😂.

Also found this stuff for cheaper while researching the Lizard Skin Acry-Tech Acoust-X 1 Gallon Absorption Coating Paintable Damping Material. A comparison video or review would be nice to find.

Thanks for the heads up on the shark fin. I appreciate those “while youre at it, may as well do that too” type comments because it prevents
the “dang it, I already put it all back together” comment.😂😭😫

I have really low expectations as well, I’ll report it back soon.
IMO use a spayer for the materials as prescribed. I think you may be able to use a disposable spraying method. Not sure if it will work for such a thick product?

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Would it really work for that?

I presume it would have to somehow be laid prior to sowing, but after any gopher barriers (if applicable) or would it only work when transplanting those grass squares?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
IMO use a spayer for the materials as prescribed. I think you may be able to use a disposable spraying method. Not sure if it will work for such a thick product?
Im actually not going that route.

About the thickness/viscosity, recommend only their sprayer for that reason. However, I imagine someone familiar with paint guns and and sprayers stuff could rig something that worked.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Administrator
7,871 Posts
Let us know what you end up doing ( if anything) and if you get the result you wanted.

Im actually not going that route.

About the thickness/viscosity, recommend only their sprayer for that reason. However, I imagine someone familiar with paint guns and and sprayers stuff could rig something that worked.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts