Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all,
I don't have I-Pod, I don't want to have I-Pod and I hate I-Pod (don't ask why).
I have couple of Zune players and I am happy with them.
The other day I tried plugging in my Zune player in that USB Port in my CR-Z, and it didn't recognize this player.
I know that I have the other option of plugging in Zune player under "AUX".
I would still prefer to be able to plug in my Zune in USB port, and leave it there without thinking when my battery on this player will drain.
Question for all of you younger (and tech. smarter) :
did anyone of you managed to hack that stupid USB so it could recognize ANY player ?
I tried searching here for my answer, but couldn't find anything.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Yeah I have an HD7 (Windows Phone with Zune Service) and so far no luck.
If you have a zune pass you can do what I do, since they allow you to download 10 songs as DRM-free mp3's each month I have just been picking my top 10's out of my playlists each month and putting them on a 4 GB flash drive which I put in the car. Its not ideal but its all I got, the content you get from zune marketplace is protected and will only play on the zune (unless you pay or use song credits) so even if the car did recognize the zune as a mass storage device it wouldn't play any of the protected songs anyways.
I was thinking I could build/mod a phone mount that the phone would slip into and hook up both USB for charging and AUX for music playback, but you will still have to change songs on the player itself and I'm a pretty big fan of the steering wheel mounted controls...hence I just use credits on my favorites and put them on a flash drive and call it good enough =/

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was hoping that by now someone managed to hack that thing.
As ZADIKA mentioned, my next step is either my 32 Gig flash drive or my external HD
ANDREWR : my songs are all paid for, so I owe them (either from my CD's or from my paid downloads). Before you move them in your flash drive, do you change their format, or you live them as they are ? Also, given the fact that I use Zune, all of my songs have this Zune icon on them, should I change that before moving them to flash drive, although I can't see how that matters ?

·
Registered
29 Posts
yea thats y i dont buy them online.... i dl them or buy CDs and rip them.
one method that might work.. but idk as i dont have a zune.. it if u can burn them to a cd then rip them...
if that method could work then just get come CD-RWs and get a cracking lol.

but like i said i dont know zunes policy with that...

·
Registered
320 Posts
@M190R as long as there is no DRM-protection on the songs they should play from a flash drive as mp3 or wma formatted files (pretty sure the car supports wma, I think it says so on the dash) So if they came from a CD or you paid for them online they should be yours to play anywhere on anything. The little zune icon you see on your songs might only be there because zune is your default music player (just a guess). I would load up a flash drive with a few different songs, a couple from your CD's, a couple from online, with/without the zune icon on them, etc. and pop it in and see if any of them don't play. Hopefully they will all play, if not post back which ones dont work and we'll see if we can figure out why.

Theres no need for any microsoft bashing here, its just one feature that ipods have that zunes don't. No big deal.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
WTF.. nothing to do w/ MS..

I use the aux port w/ my players.. I plug in USB just as a charge function, but play the music via aux w/ a short cable. The player sits in my cup holder.
Wicked, don't you think you may lose some sound quality by doing this ?
Two reasons I would like to use my USB :
1. I think the sound may be better (I am not sure about it).
2. I don't have to worry about the battery life.

·
Registered
29 Posts
both points are good reasons... but..
as for quality. unless you gonna have a high end sound system ur not gonna notice the difference.. (if going high end then get a zune enabled head unit)

and if u are worried about the batter life then u could just keep it charging while in use.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Actually, the DAC in the original zune is great!! still the best audio quality portable player I've got (or my girlfriends got.. to include some apple products :) ).
And, I haven't been all that impressed w/ the DAC in the car. It's good.. but I get some distortion where I don't on other devices.
So, I'm actually happier w/ the sound quality going from zune to aux.

And ipod support isn't a 'feature' of the ipod. The zune and most other players are completely capable of being played remotely via usb connection. Apple is just pushing very hard to get in your car (and every other part of your life) and paying a lot to do it.. smart business.. doesn't mean their players are actually better for any technical reason.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
both points are good reasons... but..
as for quality. unless you gonna have a high end sound system ur not gonna notice the difference.. (if going high end then get a zune enabled head unit)

and if u are worried about the batter life then u could just keep it charging while in use.
True.
Problem with all this is that going first with the cable up, and hook it to Aux. and than going with yet another cable down and plug it in charger and having all these cables (up and down) looks little silly, while your USB port is sitting at perfect spot - unused.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Yeah I didn't know the zune supported USB controlled playback, I don't own a standalone zune player just what amounts to a "Zune Phone" which is the windows phone 7 series with the zune's software installed as an app, and as it sits now unless an update comes out it will never allow music playback via its USB interface. I wonder if, for those with actual zune players, an interface could be designed that would go between the zune and car USB port that would adapt zune remote controls to ipod-style ones... hmmm... an adaptor that tricks the car into thinking your zune is an ipod so it can control it... seems kinda pathetic to imitate the ipod BUT, it just might be possible.

·
Registered
669 Posts
cause microsoft isnt paying them lol
I often wonder if it isn't the other way around? Do hardware mfgs pay a license fee to Apple to use iOS logos and their SDK to make something compatible? I'm guessing yes. It could be that MS doesn't have a readily available SDK for developers? Maybe when they developed Sync, there was some kind of 'exclusive' agreement made behind the scenes?

IMO, if you went with thumbdrives, you'd get around most of your objections. As far as sound quality, I sincerely believe that if you're really interested in sound quality, you'd be playing CDs. I hate to sound like an "audio snob" but unless you're encoding MP3s in a lossless format, they won't typically sound better than a CD.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.