Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
So stoked for each of us!! I’ll have mine put on when I get the shocks replaced. I’m waiting on a second price quote to figure out who to hire to do the work. Both shops have done good work on my car.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Thanks for the tip Lauren.

Now I have to come up with some clips, screws and fasteners to hold it in place. I am working Amazon over.

The 4 screws were $3 each and the clip nuts were $6 each from Honda. Not gonna happen like that. I'd have more in fasteners than the whole splash shield.

Amazon or Autozone, O'Reilley, Advance etc?

·
Premium Member
26 Posts

Now I have to come up with some clips, screws and fasteners to hold it in place. I am working Amazon over.

The 4 screws were $3 each and the clip nuts were $6 each from Honda. Not gonna happen like that. I'd have more in fasteners than the whole splash shield.

Ask a shop to put it in? I asked a shop which clips and bolts to order. The head mechanic said no worries, we keep bulk supplies of those. I think they’ll charge me minimally. If you get an oil change too, might be minimal labor charge.

·
Super Moderator
7,355 Posts
Many owners install the shocks themselves there is a whole thread on it. The shocks themselves from a source like RockAuto are not very expensive if you really do need shocks. There is a whole thread on shocks and misting. Many shops report shock issues that are not issues it is how they work.
@litz has a thread that lists all the correct fasteners for that and other things. You can order the parts from any dealer or hondapartsnow. If you go to your local dealer they may make you a deal on the parts. Do you have any of the fasteners? If you do take an example one and see if you can find a hardware store they can match them for like $0.15 each. But you need an example. Some car parts places have an aisle which I call the Help Aisle as there was a brand of little parts like that called Help and you can sometimes find hardware like that and other parts to fix things that are lost or damaged. Most shops have a large supply of generic fasteners and little things like that but they may not fit exactly and they may cause damage to surrounding parts when used. That splash shield is something that needs to be removed every oil change so you want the right parts. A few dollars each is not much to restore the car to OEM but once you find out the sizes you may be able to get them from a fastener supplier like Fastenal – Industrial Supplies, OEM Fasteners, Safety Products & More in bulk.

That panel should have dzus fasteners so it is easy to remove and put back with no tools or possibility of damage.

To prevent having to remove that shield for oil changes look at @litz build thread he installed an oil pan valve and hose I am just not sure if you can get to the valve without removing the splash shield.

Others have paid a lot more for parts than I thought they were worth. This is standard parts that in small quantities at the prices you have mentioned not too bad considering the supply chain and markup at every step.
So stoked for each of us!! I’ll have mine put on when I get the shocks replaced. I’m waiting on a second price quote to figure out who to hire to do the work. Both shops have done good work on my car.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Spdbump, many thanks for your help. I’ve read the threads on shocks with links to articles and misting vs leaking shocks. The right rear shock has a slight leak. The car isn’t riding as well as it could. Things aren’t critical but I do believe having the shocks & struts replaced will smooth out the ride and tighten up right turns so I can go fast again.

I’ve got no experience with replacing shocks, mufflers, brakes but wish I knew how to do it all. I watched videos but feel chicken of not being strong enough to do the work properly. The springs look scary to replace…not sure whether to buy an upgraded set of hardware with coil integrated.

I have 2 axle jacks and 2 small ramps, and the cheap scissor jacks that came with our CR-Z and CR-V. I’d want a proper hydraulic jack (looked at ones costing around $130) and a torque wrench or two. I have metric fixed wrenches and ratchets…just not brave but will think about finding a friend to teach/help me do the replacements. I’ve had trouble changing a tire after a blowout when the lug nuts wouldn’t loosen with the cheap wrench that came with my car. But wow it would be awesome if I could get the work done other than at a shop! They’re charging a lot for the job. Just the rear shocks, coils, and alignment quote with one shop is $1130. Not even the front struts included :( So I’m waiting for another shop to quote the front & rear.

Auto Zone has the Help kits with probably all the fasteners for the splash shield.

·
Registered
376 Posts
He had some of the correct push pins but not all of them. They are on back order. On my last CRZ I was able to get some push pins from one of the local car parts places, for missing pins at different places on the car, and never had any issues that I remember.

I do have a Fumoto valve ready to install on my next oil change. I had one on my last CRZ and there is one on my truck. I like em. You can attach a piece of hose and open the valve walk away and come back later in the day or the next day and finish up.

·
Super Moderator
7,355 Posts
Since you already have jack stands look at the higher rated low profile jacks at harbor freight and get yourself a longer than normal breaker bar and a good torque wrench that should allow you to do the shocks and strut units yourself. As for the struts get pre-assembled strut units then you do not need a spring compressor.

I now own a few torque wrenches and breaker bars and have bought tools as I needed them and then inherited a lot of my Dad's tools. A torque wrench especially the click type is a good investment. One of my first tools was the 1/2 Craftsman breaker bar I bought and a deep socket when I realized I could not get the wheels off of one of my previous cars. The 1/2 inch drive Craftsman Torque wrench and a case for it came shortly after. But their quality has changed and there are less expensive alternatives.

Only way to get experience is to do it.

Spdbump, many thanks for your help. I’ve read the threads on shocks with links to articles and misting vs leaking shocks. The right rear shock has a slight leak. The car isn’t riding as well as it could. Things aren’t critical but I do believe having the shocks & struts replaced will smooth out the ride and tighten up right turns so I can go fast again.

I’ve got no experience with replacing shocks, mufflers, brakes but wish I knew how to do it all. I watched videos but feel chicken of not being strong enough to do the work properly. The springs look scary to replace…not sure whether to buy an upgraded set of hardware with coil integrated.

I have 2 axle jacks and 2 small ramps, and the cheap scissor jacks that came with our CR-Z and CR-V. I’d want a proper hydraulic jack (looked at ones costing around $130) and a torque wrench or two. I have metric fixed wrenches and ratchets…just not brave but will think about finding a friend to teach/help me do the replacements. I’ve had trouble changing a tire after a blowout when the lug nuts wouldn’t loosen with the cheap wrench that came with my car. But wow it would be awesome if I could get the work done other than at a shop! They’re charging a lot for the job. Just the rear shocks, coils, and alignment quote with one shop is $1130. Not even the front struts included :( So I’m waiting for another shop to quote the front & rear.

Auto Zone has the Help kits with probably all the fasteners for the splash shield.

·
Super Moderator
7,355 Posts
I had a broken Push pin for my front bumper and another member suggested these Amazon.com: Lantee 50 Pcs Bumper Clips & Splash Shield Fasteners w/Metal Insert Replace Honda 91505-S9A-003 Fit for Accord Civic Crosstour CR-V CR-Z Element Fit HR-V Insight Odyssey Pilot Ridgeline: Automotive price was cheap enough and it worked fine . They are apparently for the Splash Shield.

Will you still need to remove splash shileld for Oil changes? I like the idea of not having to replace the drain plug and gasket every oil change.

He had some of the correct push pins but not all of them. They are on back order. On my last CRZ I was able to get some push pins from one of the local car parts places, for missing pins at different places on the car, and never had any issues that I remember.

I do have a Fumoto valve ready to install on my next oil change. I had one on my last CRZ and there is one on my truck. I like em. You can attach a piece of hose and open the valve walk away and come back later in the day or the next day and finish up.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Since you already have jack stands look at the higher rated low profile jacks at harbor freight and get yourself a longer than normal breaker bar and a good torque wrench that should allow you to do the shocks and strut units yourself. As for the struts get pre-assembled strut units then you do not need a spring compressor.

I now own a few torque wrenches and breaker bars and have bought tools as I needed them and then inherited a lot of my Dad's tools. A torque wrench especially the click type is a good investment. One of my first tools was the 1/2 Craftsman breaker bar I bought and a deep socket when I realized I could not get the wheels off of one of my previous cars. The 1/2 inch drive Craftsman Torque wrench and a case for it came shortly after. But their quality has changed and there are less expensive alternatives.

Only way to get experience is to do it.
Right on. That reminds me, my dad wants to give me as many of his tools as I can use. I’ll ask him to see what he’ll have for me.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
TBH I would rather have my Dad than the tools :cry:
Same! My dad is 82 and ill. Every visit he gets me to take something. Last month was a fancy Xacto knife. I help the parents, Mom feeds us, a few tools leave the house. It’s hard with aging parents. Can’t face them going…I’m 55 and lucky to still have them. Sorry for the loss of your dad. 😭

·
Super Moderator
7,355 Posts
Thank you for your response . I lost my Mom 2 years before my Dad. It is very difficult as they age. I moved home to help Dad at the end of his life and lost him suddenly.
Same! My dad is 82 and ill. Every visit he gets me to take something. Last month was a fancy Xacto knife. I help the parents, Mom feeds us, a few tools leave the house. It’s hard with aging parents. Can’t face them going…I’m 55 and lucky to still have them. Sorry for the loss of your dad. 😭

·
Registered
376 Posts
I had a broken Push pin for my front bumper and another member suggested these Amazon.com: Lantee 50 Pcs Bumper Clips & Splash Shield Fasteners w/Metal Insert Replace Honda 91505-S9A-003 Fit for Accord Civic Crosstour CR-V CR-Z Element Fit HR-V Insight Odyssey Pilot Ridgeline: Automotive price was cheap enough and it worked fine . They are apparently for the Splash Shield.

Will you still need to remove splash shileld for Oil changes? I like the idea of not having to replace the drain plug and gasket every oil change.

That's what I was looking for. Those push pins are now on their way to my house. The splash shield and the push pins should be here this week. With any luck, next Saturday the splash shield will be installed.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
You could do a lot with what you have.

Floor jack, two jack stands and metric sockets/wrenches: 10/12/14/17/19mm would be enough to do just about all maintenance on this car. (A couple other odd sizes for very infrequent repairs would be axle nuts 36mm I believe [it's been a while] and if you have 6MT then the clutch bleeder screw is 8mm IIRC). You really only need one torque wrench, around a 50-250 ft/lbs range mostly for critical suspension hardware, the lower values can be torqued by hand (though some prefer having a wrench for those lower torque values, IMO it's not absolutely required). Other tools can be acquired as needed or rented and many will serve other DIY/repair purposes outside of automotive.

Avoid harbor freight jackstands for now (their floorjacks are fine though). Autozone sells stands for a great price and none of that breaking welds/getting crushed major recall nonsense. I recently got a pair of their blue 2-tons to supplement a pair of 20 year old craftsman stands.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
You could do a lot with what you have.

Floor jack, two jack stands and metric sockets/wrenches: 10/12/14/17/19mm would be enough to do just about all maintenance on this car. (A couple other odd sizes for very infrequent repairs would be axle nuts 36mm I believe [it's been a while] and if you have 6MT then the clutch bleeder screw is 8mm IIRC). You really only need one torque wrench, around a 50-250 ft/lbs range mostly for critical suspension hardware, the lower values can be torqued by hand (though some prefer having a wrench for those lower torque values, IMO it's not absolutely required). Other tools can be acquired as needed or rented and many will serve other DIY/repair purposes outside of automotive.

Avoid harbor freight jackstands for now (their floorjacks are fine though). Autozone sells stands for a great price and none of that breaking welds/getting crushed major recall nonsense. I recently got a pair of their blue 2-tons to supplement a pair of 20 year old craftsman stands.
Thanks!! My car is a ‘13 EX CVT.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Got my splash shield this afternoon. Nice surprise on a Sunday afternoon. Friday will be the quickest I can get to it to install. That should give me a chance to see what if any, difference it is going to make in MPG. I'm curious.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts