Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a lighting addict, I find most vehicles's lighting systems to be inadequate, and the CR-Z is no different. One of the first lights I upgraded were the reverse lights.

Most would generally upgrade the OEM bulbs with drop-in LEDs. While they do provide a nicer look, the performance increase is marginal. My solution: Use 25w LEDs designed for headlights

These lights will easily illuminate cars, people and even entire houses well over 120ft away. This is especially helpful if you have tinted windows. Even the cheapest headlight LEDs will outperform any bulbs designed to be a direct fit. Not only are they actually useful at illuminating behind the car, they're also impossible to miss during a bright, sunny day, whereas the OEM incandescents can be pretty hard to spot in the harsh florida sun since they're so dim. Installing these is easy and fully reversible.

Start by mounting your LED to the housing. I just used a ton of hot glue around the bulb's plastic base. I just put a thick ring around the entire base and held it in the housing for 3-5 minutes while the glue cooled and hardened. Remember to clean both the bulb and the taillight, or the glue won't hold. This mehod seals the taillight and holds the bulb in tight, but can be completely removed if needed. In my experience, the light is the brightest with the diodes pointing to the sides, like this:

Now you need to connect the bulb to the OEM harness. You could somehow splice into the harness, but I wanted to keep this completely reversible. In this case, I am using 9006 LED bulbs, and i happen to have a few H1 to 9006 adapters from some HID kits. I just took the H1 connectors and stuck them into the socket where the bulb goes into. I then squirted a ton of dielectric grease to keep moisture out (since these connectors are technically outside of the vehicle) and used hot glue to keep them in place. I finally wrapped the whole thing in electrical tape.

And that's it! make sure you check the polarity; if your LED doesn't light up, switch the connectors around.

"But won't this overload any wires or blow a fuse?"
No, it won't. Generally, reverse bulbs consume between 21-28w. These LEDs probably consume between 25-30w, so they're the same, or at least very close to the OEM bulbs. Plus, even if they do consume, say, 10w more than OEM bulbs, reverse lights rarely come on for more than maybe 60 seconds at a time, not nearly enough time to cause a wire to heat up and melt.

"Which LEDs should I get?"
Use something cheap, there's no sense in spending big money here. These cost me $10 on amazon. Unless you're spending over $50 on LED bulbs, more expensive bulbs generally don't make a noticeable difference in brightness. However, if you're actually planning to use these LEDs in a headlight, DON'T get the cheap ones. Brightness may be good, but the beam pattern a cheap LED like this produces in a headlight is dim, unfocused and blinds other drivers. Since this is a reverse light, where the beam pattern and bulb geometry isn't nearly as important, cheap LEDs work just fine.

I had this mod in my 2005 Civic for over a year, and it worked flawlessly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
With the factory back ups and my heavy tint, well I cant see shit backing up in rear view. So I use the side mirrors it works okay but actually seeing something at night hmmm, might just have to do this, thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts