Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just sharing some pics of my new CR-Z. I used to have a K24 CL9 Accord Type S (Acura TSX) but I was recently offered good money for it and ended up selling it. It came at a good time as I was starting a new business and began doing a lot more commuting, so i really needed something a lot better on fuel.

My previous car had a proper build up from standard, it was only flashpro and a supercharger away from being a completed fast road/track machine. But like i said a buyer came along at the right time and flashed the cash so i parted with it. It went from this:

To this, over a 4 year period.

It doesnt just look mean, the cornering speed was ultimate! There literally weren't any suspension parts left to buy short of a rollcage. It had full adjustment on coilovers and camber kits front and back, a thicker rear swaybar and even roll centre adjusters on the front. The braking aspect was sorted with a stoptech bbk as i'd been on track the year earlier on stock brakes and wasnt pleased with only getting 5-6 laps at a time.

Some track vids from September this year:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL16D17CAD3F3C5A02

Here's a full build thread detailing my accords modding journey should you wish to see how it evolved:

Build Thread: '03 CL9 ATS - Civinfo

Anyway, onto the new car! Picked it up just a couple of weeks ago and even though there's a distinct lack of top end power compared to my K24 im still enjoying the low down boost from the electric motor, it makes for a very nippy getaway off the line, lol.

Its an October 2010 model, so its only just turned 2 years old and i picked it up with 19k on the clock. Its a fair bit smaller compared to my CL9 accord, but my wife has a 2012 5 door euro civic hatch so thats now taking over family duties now that the CR-Z isnt really child friendly.

Got it a bit cheap, well i haggled the dealer as it was due its service so managed to get some more money off the sticker price. Just had it serviced last week using all genuine parts and its running sweet as a nut now.

With winter coming up, i still had my winter EVO 8 wheels from my accord in the garage. They were a boring silver, but i didnt want to put them onto the CR-Z as they looked tatty. So i've had them refurbed in Honda Inca Gold Pearl, i think its gonna go really well with the black of the car. My new wheel nuts arrived yesterday so i hope to get these on this week sometime.

These are 17 x 8 ET38 so should fill up the front arch nicely. I think they'll still be a bit sunken on the rear, but im just gonna live with it until i get coilovers after the winter. Further plans include a summer set of wheels once winter is over as im not gonna run it on the 16's. I wanna see what the handling is like, if its good enough i will defintely track this car too. I have been thinking about supercharging too. Im sad i never got to supercharge my CL9 so i guess this may be my next best thing, lol, as my wife's Civic is only a weedy 1.4 for doing school and shopping runs. Here's a quick pic of that too.

So what do you guys think? Did i talk too much crap or what...? lol!:rotfl:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Finally had time this week to mount my winter tyres and yesterday i finally got the wheels on so just got a couple of pics of my crz's new look.

Fitment as gone from 16x6 +55 to 17x8 +38 and i think it looks great. The rear could still go out further so when i get new summer rims i might get something a bit wider on the rear. The front is sitting great, as when i get coilovers a smidge of extra negative camber will tuck the fronts ever so slightly. At the moment im getting some mexican arch poke on the front but it doesnt bother me as its only a wee bit, lol

Thats the old vs new pic, and now on the car:

The car is super dirty, but im getting a winter detail done next weekend. The detailer says not to wash the car in the meantime as he wants to get come really good before and after pics, lol. I'll get some proper pics up when thats done

What do you guys think? They're just for winter anyway, in the spring im gonna switch back to the 16's and get coilovers on, then later on in the new year im gonna go for a new set of summer rims. Still undecided on 17's or maybe 18's....

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Hi-ya. I went the same route as you, grey CL9 (TSX) to black CR-Z. But mine are LHD. Despite the power (and rev) difference, this CR-Z actually has brought me into trouble more than TSX.
Are you the shirtless guy standing next to your accord?

BTW, my sister goes to school in Scotland, University of Aberdeen.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Cheers guys!

Hi-ya. I went the same route as you, grey CL9 (TSX) to black CR-Z. But mine are LHD. Despite the power (and rev) difference, this CR-Z actually has brought me into trouble more than TSX.

Yeah i know what you mean, the crz is so nippy off the line you can easily be speeding in town without realising as its geared really long. Still miss my CL9 though.....

Nah im not the shirtless guy. He was checking out the hookah/shisha's we were selling at that car show :thumbsup:

No further plans yet, the wheels are too wide for driving so im defintely gonna go to a 17x7.5 with a 45mm offset, as that will be a good 30mm odd track increase. That was perfect on my CL9, so should be good on this too. The 43mm track increase now with these evo 8 wheels is too much. Back to 16's after winter, then coilovers, and then some new summer wheels later on

Aberdeen's a good city for universities, i hope she does your family proud. Good jap car scene up there too :D

·
stop taking me seriously
8,133 Posts

Lol. You trying to set her up?

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Cheers guys!
Yeah i know what you mean, the crz is so nippy off the line you can easily be speeding in town without realising as its geared really long. Still miss my CL9 though.....
My TSX ecu was reflashed by Hondata. I miss reving it to 7600rpm.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LOL! I'm happily married thanks :rotfl:

I had just bought an 07-08 tsx ecu from autofair honda on k20a.org. It ended up being delivered the day after i sold my CL9 :angry: Plan was to Flashpro and supercharge. The ukdm ecu was daft, nothing worked with it, not even the hondata reflash so i ended up deceiding on flashpro.

No new purchases yet but i did go away at the weekend to get a Winter Protection Detail done on my CR-Z. Just in time too as it snowed pretty heavily all last night! On with the pics:

Very very dirty!

Snowfoam

Getting there

Freshly washed, now onto clay bar, cutting, sealing and dressing.

Optional extra headlight buffing. They were ever so slightly cloudy so a quick machine polish got them looking perfect again.

Clayed, cut and sealed, dressing last.

All done!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cheers buddy, they're regular enkei alloys from the mitsubishi evo 8. I just had the centrecaps filled and smoothed to ditch the mitsubishi diamonds and then just fired a honda H decal on the top, along with getting the enkei decals done too.

I had 2 sets of these on my accord resprayed in a volk bronze style and a volk magnesium blue style too. These were my winter set in silver until i had them done in honda inca gold pearl just to freshen them up as i still had my winter tyres from my accord too. So i though i'd use them on this too.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well they can go for up to £400 with tyres, but the standard evo tyres are too wide at a 235 section. But they can be had from about £150 if you keep an eye on ebay. Thats where i bought all 9 of mine, lol! Sold 4 with my accord, one is buckled but still got this set left.

Trust me, coilovers are thee very next thing i will be buying, haha

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know i said coilovers next but this came up cheap so i had to have it.

I should be ordering my coilovers within the next few weeks though. Gonna go for BC Racing again, as i had them on my CL9 for over 2 and a half years with no problem. Plus i did 2 trackdays with them too and they held their own.

I hope to install the hks intake next weekend now as i've no time this weekend so i'll try and get some pics of the install too

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah will do buddy, hope to get it on this weekend now!

Bit pricey on those wheels, unless the tyres have loads of tread i suppose. Even then the tyres might be a bit too wide for your crz. With the 225/45/17's on mine it rubs the inner arch liner wall at the back of the wheel well. Not a lot, just ever so slightly on full lock, enough to hear it in the car however.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Finally had some spare time today so I managed to get the hks intake on. It was a surprisingly easy swap. On eco setting its barely noticeable, but on sport mode it really roars as an intake should. I doubt it'll make any more power but its all about the noise really, haha

Coilovers should be ordered up by next month too, then new wheels in april!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Looking good Blue Guru

The wheels fill the arches nicely, looks like a very nice job done on the machine polishing session too.

Ive just invested in some Werkstatt Prime and Sealants and more detailing gear from Polished Bliss. Should land on my doorstep on Tuesday. Not that PWP shows up swirls or scratches that bad, but the roads are filthy at the moment.

Nice to hear you sound like a big Honda fan.
CRZ is my third!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts