Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Couldn't you just go with parts from France or Germany since they have the LED's and are left hand drive cars?

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
Couldn't you just go with parts from France or Germany since they have the LED's and are left hand drive cars?
Yes you could. The worst that could happen is you get some A-hole cop or if you have a state inspection and there is no DOT number stamped on the light and you get dinged for it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
guys did you know whats the australia CR-Z headlight part number?? as i know australia CR-Z headlight DRL was using 8pcs led bulb... i need the part number to make an order... thx

·
Registered
224 Posts
we drive on the left hand side of the road and if your looking at it it would be the wrong side so the light level if you would to have our headlights points directly in the view of oncoming traffic where as in the UK it points slightly to the left for us out of the direct view......

I may have confused myself but im sure thats right because we have to buy light deflectors when we travel to France

·
Registered
4 Posts
LED DRL has an issue that's causing me to fail my state's safety inspection. On the passenger side, the DRL will come on as soon as the car is in 1st gear but turns off immediately after. The driver side DRL works completely fine. What are my options?

edit: fiddled around with the socket that gives the assembly & drl's power. Regardless of the level of contact, it comes off and on immediately. I noticed that two of the separate lights are out, but the rest work fine. Is there any solution or way to fix this? Or do I need a new headlight assembly?

·
Premium Member
5,958 Posts
LED DRL has an issue that's causing me to fail my state's safety inspection. On the passenger side, the DRL will come on as soon as the car is in 1st gear but turns off immediately after. The driver side DRL works completely fine. What are my options?
Maybe a bad connection. Try unplugging the socket and plug back in. Do you have any aftermarket lighting/mods? My DRL was acting up just like yours, and I ended up removing the aftermarket turn signal switchbacks that the previous owner had installed (one of the signal bulbs were defective,) and put OEM side marker lights back in, and the issue went away. Also, is there any visible moisture in the headlight assembly? That might cause an intermittent problem too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Maybe a bad connection. Try unplugging the socket and plug back in. Do you have any aftermarket lighting/mods? My DRL was acting up just like yours, and I ended up removing the aftermarket turn signal switchbacks that the previous owner had installed (one of the signal bulbs were defective,) and put OEM side marker lights back in, and the issue went away. Also, is there any visible moisture in the headlight assembly? That might cause an intermittent problem too.
Just made a small edit. I just walked back inside from playing around with the socket. Still turns off and on immediately. No aftermarket mods. There was prior water sitting in the assembly (I had a previous post about a month ago detailing the issue with my HID lights, on a different account - had some issues with it. I believe you helped me out there as well) but the water and moisture is all cleared up now. It didn't start doing this until after the water was fully drained. The first few days after it started having problems, the DRL would come back on after a small amount of time, but now it's not doing that at all.

·
Premium Member
5,958 Posts
Makes me wonder about the moisture that was in the assembly and what you did to get rid of it. Possible that the individual bulbs/ leds(?) in the DRL group that have burned out got damaged or hit with more moisture when you were trying to clear the moisture out of the assembly. [Did you take them apart to remove the moisture?] I didn't look at them too closely, since they started working before I needed to investigate more.

Fact is, that I had two different issues with mine that I hope haven't caused some confusion:
1) My (left side) DRL problem was NOT a moisture issue, but related to an aftermarket turn signal malfunction, which was fixed by returning to the OEM side marker/signal set up.
2) The moisture problem was in my other CR-Z and in the right lens, and did not burn out any bulbs, but there was at least a couple of ounces of water still in the assembly after I thought I dried it out completely with a fan and blow dryer blowing at it for a 24hr. period.

I had to take the assembly completely apart to get all the water out (the extra 2 ounces that was hidden/trapped in the recesses of the assembly. From my understanding, the separate lights of the DRL's of the 2013+ models can be replaced if you can find the right replacements and soldier new ones in, but the most common/easy fix (but expensive) is to replace the whole light assembly, since those individual lights are sealed/soldiered in from the factory. Perhaps there is someone who does repair them, but you'd have to find if such a person is actually out there and available to do the work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Makes me wonder about the moisture that was in the assembly and what you did to get rid of it. Possible that the individual bulbs/ leds(?) in the DRL group that have burned out got damaged or hit with more moisture when you were trying to clear the moisture out of the assembly. [Did you take them apart to remove the moisture?] I didn't look at them too closely, since they started working before I needed to investigate more.

Fact is, that I had two different issues with mine that I hope haven't caused some confusion:
1) My (left side) DRL problem was NOT a moisture issue, but related to an aftermarket turn signal malfunction, which was fixed by returning to the OEM side marker/signal set up.
2) The moisture problem was in my other CR-Z and in the right lens, and did not burn out any bulbs, but there was at least a couple of ounces of water still in the assembly after I thought I dried it out completely with a fan and blow dryer blowing at it for a 24hr. period.

I had to take the assembly completely apart to get all the water out (the extra 2 ounces that was hidden/trapped in the recesses of the assembly. From my understanding, the separate lights of the DRL's of the 2013+ models can be replaced if you can find the right replacements and soldier new ones in, but the most common/easy fix (but expensive) is to replace the whole light assembly, since those individual lights are sealed/soldiered in from the factory. Perhaps there is someone who does repair them, but you'd have to find if such a person is actually out there and available to do the work.

It poured out of the hole that was in the top left corner of it, and left it out to dry in the sun for a few hours. There was about a cup of water total just sloshing around in there. There's zero moisture build-up now, and hasn't been for about two weeks. I didn't physically take apart the assembly to get anything out, I might do so to try and clean up the LEDs for the DRLs. Worth a shot, I dunno. As of right now, there's only a few for sale online. And those are close to the $500 range, absolutely absurd.

I feel like I'm kinda running out of options overall. The actual assembly isn't exactly a part that's abundant in the market. It's kinda ridiculous that I can be failed for not having my DRLs working, but that's the law I guess.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Have you checked ground connections going to this? I would check ground connections around the car in various places. Sometimes a bad ground causes EXACTLY this type of weird electrical behavior.

Need to check from the battery on out..

Also, what about the sensor that sits in the front windshield? Doesn't this determine whether to turn them on or off?

It sounds to me like its more a problem with a ground somewhere though. Because I don't think the sensor would turn just ONE on. This sounds like a 'down the line' issue. Aka.. bad ground.

Start with the headlight ground itself.

#43, #31, #15, #16, #8 --- > these are all grounds. There may be more.

They are the little circular symbol on the pictures

·
Premium Member
5,958 Posts
Wow! I didn't notice a hole in the top left corner of mine, although I was looking for a weep hole or something of the kind. If you can take a picture of that hole sometime, that would be interesting (if it came from the factory with one, and I didn't see it, of if someone drilled a hole in it later.)

Here's my post about taking the light assembly apart, if you need to do that for repairs:
https://www.crzforum.com/forum/honda-cr-z-owners-forum/59066-water-2011-ex-headlights.html#post1369851

If my DRL's go on the blink, I think I'd try to fix/soldier new LED's in before forking out $500 for a new assembly. I guess I can't be "failed" in my area, because there's no inspection of the kind needed, so if my DRL's--or just a few of the individual lights--didn't work for a while, I could always run with my driving lights on (providing they worked alone) until I got them working.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Also meant to post... have you checked your DRL relay, or lighting relays??

You need to check out 22-209 in the FSM (factory service manual).

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
this is great, gonna check these out and run some diagnostics here pretty soon. I really appreciate these!
No problem. I also sent you a link to download the FSM. Hopefully it will help you in diagnosing a bit more what might be going on.

When I pulled the transmission out on my CR-Z, I noticed the right side body ground to be pretty worn and rusty. Also the headlights as well... so might be a common thing? Not sure. May just want to check them over, sandpaper everything down, and use die-electric grease when you bolt them back down to make a good connection.

Also, make sure you check your service manual and see if there is a spot for DRL (either a relay, fuse, etc). I would imagine that if all else fails, you could bake your headlight and replace the LED strip itself with a universal kit from online. Though, I have a feeling its a bad ground since it works PART of the time.

Bad ground, or Bad relay. One of these :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello, I would like to explain my problem which I have with my CR-Z. I have 2015 EX CVT. I have problem with my DRL LED in driver side: when I start an engine ( engine is cold) everything working perfect. But after few minutes of driving driver side LED is going to turn of. I tried everything: switch to low beam then to position AUTO - LED is coming on again and after that immediately turns off and etc. I checked fuse - it's ok. I see some pictures in before chat to check grounding and relays. Grounding looks like ok. But how about relay ? If anybody can tell me or show a picture where a LED DRL relays sits in the car ? I'm new in this car so not experienced. I'm trying to search a problem already 3 months and nothing. I don't want to change whole headlight even I can see that LEDs are ok because sometimes they are working, so no sense to change whole headlight, isn't it ? BTW, I removed a front bumper, then whole headlight, disconnect all cables, then put everything back - no changes.
I need help to solve this problem ! Thanks !

·
Super Moderator
5,946 Posts
As it goes off when it warms up you have a short or heat related issue. Look closely at all wiring you can get to for pinches cuts etc. Especially look at the wires where they enter connectors there maybe corrosion or the wires may have come loose from their pins. It may also be within the light unit itself which would require you to replace the unit or take it apart and repair it and you may not even be able to do that. I doubt it is a relay or any of the other issues you mentioned as it works properly when cold. As it is a 2015, it is out of warranty unless you bought Honda Care so that is not an option. When you run out things you can do with your own skills and patience you may need to resort to a Honda dealer but don't be surprised if they just tell you to replace the whole headlight capsule.

The part number is 33151-SZT-A31 and from Honda Parts now the price is $462.48 Rock Auto shows as out of stock. Probably less expensive from other sources.

Hello, I would like to explain my problem which I have with my CR-Z. I have 2015 EX CVT. I have problem with my DRL LED in driver side: when I start an engine ( engine is cold) everything working perfect. But after few minutes of driving driver side LED is going to turn of. I tried everything: switch to low beam then to position AUTO - LED is coming on again and after that immediately turns off and etc. I checked fuse - it's ok. I see some pictures in before chat to check grounding and relays. Grounding looks like ok. But how about relay ? If anybody can tell me or show a picture where a LED DRL relays sits in the car ? I'm new in this car so not experienced. I'm trying to search a problem already 3 months and nothing. I don't want to change whole headlight even I can see that LEDs are ok because sometimes they are working, so no sense to change whole headlight, isn't it ? BTW, I removed a front bumper, then whole headlight, disconnect all cables, then put everything back - no changes.
I need help to solve this problem ! Thanks !

·
Registered
18 Posts
As it goes off when it warms up you have a short or heat related issue. Look closely at all wiring you can get to for pinches cuts etc. Especially look at the wires where they enter connectors there maybe corrosion or the wires may have come loose from their pins. It may also be within the light unit itself which would require you to replace the unit or take it apart and repair it and you may not even be able to do that. I doubt it is a relay or any of the other issues you mentioned as it works properly when cold. As it is a 2015, it is out of warranty unless you bought Honda Care so that is not an option. When you run out things you can do with your own skills and patience you may need to resort to a Honda dealer but don't be surprised if they just tell you to replace the whole headlight capsule.

The part number is 33151-SZT-A31 and from Honda Parts now the price is $462.48 Rock Auto shows as out of stock. Probably less expensive from other sources.
Thank you for your answer !
Maybe you know where I can find a LED relay in CR-Z ? Because I cannot find it. I will try to check wires next time more carefully. And also anyone have any schematic for this cars or where it is able to buy all service manual ?

·
Super Moderator
5,946 Posts
Thank you for your answer !
Maybe you know where I can find a LED relay in CR-Z ? Because I cannot find it. I will try to check wires next time more carefully. And also anyone have any schematic for this cars or where it is able to buy all service manual ?
Since only one side is affected it is probably not a relay. Location of relays is in this topic above

61 - 80 of 89 Posts