Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She really wants me to buy the Mazda3 since she read "sub-par" reviews on the CR-Z. I understand that yes, Honda could have made it more sporty, or more hybrid'y, but I just LOVE this car. No, I haven't test driven it, but theres something about it that just SCREAMS "ME!". This car is so me. I don't necessarily care what my mom thinks, but I suppose it just frustrates me how she's handling my decision. What good points can I bring up to her to maybe sway her opinions some? Thanks guys. :staffmeeting:

·
Registered
693 Posts
This is kinda funny. A mother using reviews that say, "this car isn't fast enough" or "this car isn't sporty enough", and this car "ONLY gets 35 MPG" to steer you to a car that these same reviewers like better, because the version they typically test is the Mazdaspeed 3 with 263 hp and gets 20 to 23 MPG. That they praise because it is soo fast and sportscar like.

Who is your Mom Lynn St James or Shirley Muldowny? (pioneering women race car drivers for those too young to remember)

Seriously, things that should turn on most Moms are, is this a safe car? Answer is that it got a 5 star safety rating and has 6 air bags. It has Vehicle Sabilty Assist that will help you from getting out of control should you enter a corner too fast or run into a slippery surface your weren't expecting. Most Moms would appreciate that the car only has 2 seats, so that you are not shuttling around a bunch of friends and potentially increasing your liability. I would expect that the CRZ and it's puny 122 HP, 35 to 40 MPG and great safety features would make this car one that Mom's would love!

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Selling points would be

Reliability. One of the major factors for any Honda vs other makes.

Design. I just love the design of the CR-Z at least. When I first saw the concept I said in a post on the NO Honda forums. "If that car makes it to production, I'm buying one!" And that was just from the concept.

Insurance and maintenance cost. It's cheap to insure, cheap to run and being a Honda I'd be surprised to have to bring it in for service other then the normal maintenance stuff.

Safety. The Mazda 3 is also a 5 star, but the CR-Z scored higher.

I just love the whole idea of the car. If anything I think Honda were playing it a bit safe and testing the waters a bit. Seeing how well it has been welcomed, I can't wait for the next one :D

Attachments

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
She really wants me to buy the Mazda3 since she read "sub-par" reviews on the CR-Z. I understand that yes, Honda could have made it more sporty, or more hybrid'y, but I just LOVE this car. No, I haven't test driven it, but theres something about it that just SCREAMS "ME!". This car is so me. I don't necessarily care what my mom thinks, but I suppose it just frustrates me how she's handling my decision. What good points can I bring up to her to maybe sway her opinions some? Thanks guys. :staffmeeting:
Your Mother's priorities seem to be back wards. No offense. The CR-Z is a safer car. And in my opinion, gives much more reward to the driver. I've driven a 3. Bloody boring.

And it gets plenty good gas mileage. I'd bet you're a teen? If int, disregard. If so, a fast is the last thing you need. Your Mother needs to know this!

Oh, and:
YouTube - Euro NCAP | Honda CR-Z | 2010 | Crash test

I'm aware it's Euro NCAP, but I can't find any IIHS crash tests for the Z.

I think it's the 2 seater part that is the deal breaker for her.
My Mom would have loved this car! When I was living at her house still, I had a few rules for my first year of driving. Only 1 passenger while light out. Dark out: no passenger, and no traveling out of the city.

Also, this car is incredibly cheap to insure. That might change depending on how many flat biller bro dawgs get this car and end up in trees and ditches. Hopefully it's not Brotastic enough for them, yo

·
Registered
376 Posts
Show your mom the safety rating. Take her for a test drive. Show her the sport mode and the econ mode. Driving in econ mode will get you better MPG than the EPA like most members here. Sport mode you have to test the fun for yourself.

IMHO. Most reviews missed the point that this is a hybrid sport. They want a purely sport vehicle but neglect the fuel economy aspect. The very first hybrid with MT. :mellow:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, I'm 24, so my choices are my own, and it will not affect my choice in the end (because I know what I want). But, I at least want her to know that I will be safe, and that I've made an informed decision. I kept trying to explain to her last night the upsides to the car, and how many reviewers missed the point; however, she (in meaning all well and good) seems to trust her pick more. But, thanks for all of the sound points, I will bring them up to her tonight. If all else fails, I'll just take her for a test drive! :)

·
Registered
200 Posts
The reviews aren't getting it right for sure...they seem to have been expecting the CR-Z to be as fast as a Civic Si, get better gas mileage than a Prius, and handle like the old CRX they all love so much. Because it doesn't meet their unreasonable expectations, they bash it as a disappointment.

The real thing is, you get a little of it all....it's surprisingly quick, gets excellent mileage without feeling compromised by hybrid-ness, and has great handling.

If you ask me it looks a lot better than a Mazda3....if they had only toned down that ridiculous smiley-face black plastic on the front the Mazda3 would be one sweet looking car.

Sure, the CR-Z is less practical. I'll steal my take on that from Top Gear's take on the VW Scirocco (that we don't get here in the US)...why buy a Scirocco over the equally performing and more practical GTI...because of it's looks. You are willing to give up some practicality and more money just to look good :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7 Posts
My suggestion,which you have already proposed, is to take her for a test-drive . I read reviews about how it wasn't sporty enough and I almost didn't give it a try. After driving one I found it to be every bit as fun as my Mini was but with a much smoother and quieter ride which is a plus for us old folks. I am absolutely loving this car.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.