Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys...

I snapped these pics last week when they came into a dealer near my work. I actually just bought one in Blue yesterday but I have to wait for them to get one in that is an automatic EX without Nav.

Anyone find any dealers negotiating price? I went to all the dealers in my area and found that most would move around on price a bit but then adjusted my trade in to less then it was worth. I ended up getting mine at the last dealer I went to (who I bought an accord from last month) for $21,400 and managed to trade my car in for KBB's "excellent condition" pricing.

Anyway...I'm pretty sure the blue is the same blue from europe...Honda's promotional photos are renderings so the color has been adjusted. I was at Sundance last year and I believe the woman I was talking to from Honda (the cr-z was there) said that the colors might be renamed for the U.S. Markets, because let's be honest...Americans respond to the word Blue not Turquoise.

Anyway...I'll post some pics when I get my actual car in!

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that's cute the way they fit on that truck like that haha...

unfortunately the blue is not the same as the EDM/JDM blue... they're very close but theirs has more blue in it that ours... i've seen the blue in person and it's a sweet color... sold me on it after i saw it in person...
I was sold on it also...I might have to wait a few months to get it though...which is fine...they basically either have to find a dealer who will swap with them or order one for me.

Just means I get an extended farewell to my Scion Tc.

I'm pretty sure Blue is the rarest color right now...except for red which I don't see any dealerships with red.

Every dealer I have been to is stocked up on two or three, all in white or silver. Out of all the dealerships I've gone to (4) Only two CR-Zs have been sold and they were people who ordered before the car came out.

Only one dealer was not willing to come down off of MSRP but every dealer but the one I purchased from, had undervalued my trade in.

My calculations show that for the Automatic EX with no Nav...the dealer owns it for ~$20,560 factoring in holdback and destination charge.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Dealers don't have much incentive to discount greatly right now. They could be willing to knock of the processing fee or things like floor mats.

The cheapest deal I've found is $21,410. The stipulation there is they don't charge me for paperwork but I have to wait and buy off in stock lot models. Currently all they have unsold is a gray CVT EX and navi-EX white.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dealers don't have much incentive to discount greatly right now. They could be willing to knock of the processing fee or things like floor mats.

The cheapest deal I've found is $21,410. The stipulation there is they don't charge me for paperwork but I have to wait and buy off in stock lot models. Currently all they have unsold is a gray CVT EX and navi-EX white.
I would never pay MSRP for a car, this one or any other one...and I also wouldn't ever let someone put stipulations on what I could get for that price. Also...I don't know what they are telling you when they say they won't charge you for paper work...I've never paid someone a paperwork fee or anything like that...sounds weird to me.

Was that 21,410 price including destination charge and was it an CVT EX? What's the processing fee? I have no processing fees. Also...floor mats come with the car (not the rubber ones).

I honestly don't think it's going to be a popular car...and I think Honda knows that. There is a list a mile long in my area for the Odyssey, and the CR-Zs are sitting on the lots waiting for people like you and me who understand the car.

I just don't see it as mass market and the only reason dealers are sticking to MSRP right now is because they are "faking" the hype and depending on us to buy up their stock. Problem is...I don't think there are many of "us".

I had one guy tell me "the ads start running tomorrow and they will be impossible to find!" another one said "All of the CR-Zs will be flying off the lot labor day weekend." another guy said "If I don't sell it to you...I'll sell it to someone else tomorrow" (all their CR-Zs are still on the lot).

The truth is...there is a very small amount of people who are willing to pay this much for a car that they will probably have a hard time selling a few years down the line.

I like the car so I bought it...but I'm a realist, and I think what I have stated is the reality.

The dealer I bought from knew that if he didn't hit my trade-in price I would rather just not buy a car and he also knew that if he didn't knock a few 100 off of the MSRP that I would...you guessed it...just not buy a car.

Anyway...I'm glad I got one sured up and look forward to picking it up!

·
Registered
693 Posts
Those who are shopping around for the best deal should be aware of 2 things. First is that dealers have been instructed not to mark up the CRZ over list price for the first 90 days. Honda is trying to prevent price gouging from being a negative first impression of the car.

Second, is that most dealers got additional cars that they were not expecting in this initial shipmentt of cars. After these cars are sold, most dealers will only be getting 1 or 2 CRzs per month.

My point here is that if a dealer has the right color, transmission and trim level you want sitting on their lot right now, you would be a fool to walk away from a sticker price deal in hopes of saving $200 to $500 sometime or somewhere down the road, because you probably will not see as many CRZs on the lots after this initial batch sells. And dealers are less likely to deal on the future allocations they are getting, when the allocation is as little as 1 car per month.

Now all this might change if the CRZ is a complete sales failure and nobody wants them at all.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
i like the way Sense is thinking... all the dealerships i've been to make it sound like the car is gonna be gone today if i don't buy it...

here's a fact... they were only supposed to make 15,000 Si's for 2006 which is the same # as the CR-Z... but only about 30% of those were gonna have navigation which i HAD to have on mine... so you figure about 4,500 for the entire year of the one i wanted and even less b/c i had to have mine in blue... by the time the 2007 model rolled around, Honda ended up making just shy of 13,000 for the 2006 model year... i put a down payment and i still had to wait 5 months to get mine... while these numbers sound scary, if you're not in a huge rush to get a CR-Z, like me, then you can shop around until someone gives you a deal...

the only difference in my example is the Si was a highly desirable car... and while we all love the CR-Z, let's face it... most of the country doesn't and in some markets it will sell extremely well but take where i live for example where the average age is around 80 years old... maybe exaggerating, but u get the idea... it's very old, the salesman even said so himself... i know that even if they get 1-2 or 3 a month... which sounds realistically to me, they will more than likely have one when i'm ready to buy one... and if they don't, i don't mind making a 200 mile drive to pick one up if i have to...

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I would never pay MSRP for a car, this one or any other one...and I also wouldn't ever let someone put stipulations on what I could get for that price. Also...I don't know what they are telling you when they say they won't charge you for paper work...I've never paid someone a paperwork fee or anything like that...sounds weird to me.

Was that 21,410 price including destination charge and was it an CVT EX? What's the processing fee? I have no processing fees. Also...floor mats come with the car (not the rubber ones).
$21,410 is the price they'd let it go before before 6% sales tax and vehicle registration fee which is a retarded $535. Everyone other dealer quoted $21,660. That is an EX CVT btw.

I initially tried sending emails to sales managers at every dealer in CT and one just north in MA. Said I'd be willing to pick up the car with no addons like floormats and under the first dealers quoted price of $21,660. Only Executive Honda in Hartford gave me a lower price. Everyone else was some manner of the the same general not currently discounting the CR-Z but would you be interested in 0% APR on a 2010 Fit....

I don't understand how you can get deals on a new low volume car. Unless you wait 6 months or the dealer is struggling to make sales goals. CT not that bad off as far as most of the country goes during these times. New cars sales seem to be pretty hefty still. Vising my local dealership for the test drive they had a welcome sign for 41 people. And this was a weekday.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
$21,410 is the price they'd let it go before before 6% sales tax and vehicle registration fee which is a retarded $535. Everyone other dealer quoted $21,660. That is an EX CVT btw.

I initially tried sending emails to sales managers at every dealer in CT and one just north in MA. Said I'd be willing to pick up the car with no addons like floormats and under the first dealers quoted price of $21,660. Only Executive Honda in Hartford gave me a lower price. Everyone else was some manner of the the same general not currently discounting the CR-Z but would you be interested in 0% APR on a 2010 Fit....

I don't understand how you can get deals on a new low volume car. Unless you wait 6 months or the dealer is struggling to make sales goals. CT not that bad off as far as most of the country goes during these times. New cars sales seem to be pretty hefty still. Vising my local dealership for the test drive they had a welcome sign for 41 people. And this was a weekday.
The main goal of a dealer is to get the cars off the lot as fast as possible. The only time they should be charging MSRP is when the demand for a car is high or when someone walks in and says..."ok...I'll buy it for sticker". The only time they charge more then MSRP is when they have a waiting list for a car. In my area (Philly) demand for the CR-Z doesn't seem to be any higher then when the insight came out.

Every dealer has the cars out as the first thing you see when you pull up to the dealer and they don't seem to be moving.

Make sure that if you are trading something in, that you get them to give you KBB on your car. All dealers that I went to besides the one I bought from under valued the car by 1k-3k and then pretended like they were giving me a deal on the new car.

Seems like they have their numbers...I got 21,660 from a few dealers also before I got the 21,400. The reason they are dealing is this...at $21,400 they are making about $800 on the new car (including holdback), moving one off the lot on week one, getting a used car for trade in, making 2-3k off of your used car depending on what car it is and the condition.

This is actually the worst deal I have ever gotten on a car, normally I get between 200 under invoice to 100 over invoice. It's like video games, they make more money off the used ones then the new ones.

No matter what a dealer says via email, if you go in...they will try and work with you and they will try and get you to sign papers before you leave.

They will deal...and don't believe a thing they say, if I had a dollar for every lie I heard from a dealer this week regarding this car, I would be bringing my girl out to a fancy dinner for free this weekend.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i like the way Sense is thinking... all the dealerships i've been to make it sound like the car is gonna be gone today if i don't buy it...
Two dealers lied to me about having sold CR-Zs. I was there when both dealers got their shipments (last week) and I knew how many they had. This week is when I started going to dealers looking to buy and two of the dealers told me "Oh I just sold one yesterday! The guy I sold it too loves it!"

All their cars were still on the lot.

On top of that...who calls their dealership after they bought to the car to chat with the salesmen about how much they love their car? I don't know about you...but after I do battle with a car salesmen...I don't want to hear his voice again for at least 4 years (until I want a new car)
:pP:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Those who are shopping around for the best deal should be aware of 2 things. First is that dealers have been instructed not to mark up the CRZ over list price for the first 90 days. Honda is trying to prevent price gouging from being a negative first impression of the car.

Second, is that most dealers got additional cars that they were not expecting in this initial shipmentt of cars. After these cars are sold, most dealers will only be getting 1 or 2 CRzs per month.

My point here is that if a dealer has the right color, transmission and trim level you want sitting on their lot right now, you would be a fool to walk away from a sticker price deal in hopes of saving $200 to $500 sometime or somewhere down the road, because you probably will not see as many CRZs on the lots after this initial batch sells. And dealers are less likely to deal on the future allocations they are getting, when the allocation is as little as 1 car per month.

Now all this might change if the CRZ is a complete sales failure and nobody wants them at all.
If any of that info is from a dealer that was trying to sell you a car...sorry to say but it's probably BS.

If there was a waiting list (like there was for the S2000) you would be paying over MSRP (like my brother did on the S2000).

They will get more based on the number that they have sold in the month. If they sell one a month. They get one a month. If they sell 5...the next month Honda might send them 6 etc etc. The cars that a car dealer gets is based on previous sales volume.

You can and will get a deal...just not the greatest deal in the world. By pressing the dealers I got $700 more for my trade and $760 on the new car. $1,460 is nothing to turn your nose up at.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.