Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2011 CRZ
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, crazy idea from Dr. Frankenstein here, but humor me. I was discussing the idea of dual turbocharging a 2011 6mt CRZ with my drag-racing mechanic and he dropped a kernel of wisdom: apparently both kei cars and Evo turbos are relatively easy to fab-fit to Honda 1.5L? If so, would there be any glaring problems with using, say, a Suzuki Wagon R turbo to spool the Evo turbo? I understand there's no tuning territory for this yet, but I may or may not know some creative individuals on that end. Could anyone help me double check the part compatibility on the idea?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
1.5 liter doesn't need a compound or sequential turbo. You can size a modern turbo to have instant response and still make more power than the block can take.

Look at small frame EFR turbos or G25-550 turbos.

·
Lil Glizzy
1,409 Posts
Two words...... Twin.... Scroll....

·
Lil Glizzy
1,409 Posts

·
Lil Glizzy
1,409 Posts

·
Lil Glizzy
1,409 Posts
Eww gross, blowers are even worse. Some could say they really blow...
Actually Twin screw SC are more efficient at power delivery then a roots type SC. They also cause less parasitic loss on the engine power. A twin screw SC is great for instant TQ and a more linear HP powerband. Turbos can be designed to provide near instant power gains but at the cost of top end power gains.

·
Don't abuse the report button
2,447 Posts
I thought twin screw referred to Magnusson super chargers?
twin screw is a class of supercharger. There's twin screw, roots, and centrifugal superchargers.
Doesn't cause parasitic loss on the crank 100% of the time.
the parasitic loss of the supercharger when it's not in boost is almost none thanks to bypass valves. they simply aren't doing any work when the bypass valve is open. it's similar to how the AC compressor doesn't drag on the engine when the clutch isn't closed.

And when you're in boost on the CRZ, I promise you don't notice the loss.

·
Registered
2014 Honda CR-Z EX CVT
155 Posts
Okay, crazy idea from Dr. Frankenstein here, but humor me. I was discussing the idea of dual turbocharging a 2011 6mt CRZ with my drag-racing mechanic and he dropped a kernel of wisdom: apparently both kei cars and Evo turbos are relatively easy to fab-fit to Honda 1.5L? If so, would there be any glaring problems with using, say, a Suzuki Wagon R turbo to spool the Evo turbo? I understand there's no tuning territory for this yet, but I may or may not know some creative individuals on that end. Could anyone help me double check the part compatibility on the idea?
You might also consider supercharger + turbocharger like on the Nissan March Super Turbo.
I can't find any information on the Wagon R's turbo. What's the turbine specifications on it? Or if it's made by a 3rd party for Suzuki, what's the model number?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts