Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
YouTube - Honda cr-z prototype exhaust

So my impression of the exhaust after almost a week of driving around with it, is that i love it. the initial throttle positioning opens up the sound significantly, however it mellows down once in the rpms. it sounds its loudest on sport mode. while cruising its very mellow, but when u drop a gear and get on it, it opens up. any other questions pls ask, and tell me what you guys think, i think more feedback.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
theres a tsx in the background of your video!

anyways sounds good - no rasp. its smooth. it does seem a bit loud though. is there any drone inside the car at speed? also, since you saw them make the exhaust, do you think there is room for a second resonator in the piping somewhere?

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no drone inside the car unless your cruising at high revs, once you shift up to and ideal rpm and gear its super quite. and the plenty of room for a secondary resonator or muffler. honestly its only loud at WOT, when i was cruising by in the video i was up on on revs so you guys can hear it. If i would have shifted up, it would have been too quite for the camera to even get a sound.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's 2", I think 2.5" would be too much for the 1.5l, it will lose back pressure and make the car move like a slug in low rpms, itll be like a gt42r on a evo ;);)

·
Premium Member
5,332 Posts
that's B-series thinking... they also said that about a stock Si (2006+) with a 3" exhaust... the 3" improved overall power and peak power for that engine... and even WITH PROOF ppl were still saying that the 3" was too big b/c they had it stuck in their head that smaller was better for low-end torque... fact is 3" piping made more hp but like 3tq less than a 2.5" personally i'd sacrifice 3tq to gain +10hp...

the 1.5 LEA1 is no K20Z3 but keep in mind, getting into the higher rpms is where you need higher flow... down low you need the smaller piping for the back pressure but the CR-Z has the IMA to help down low... so up top would benefit more from a slightly larger exhaust... what is stock piping??

if not 2.5" at least 2.25" with two resonators... i personally wouldn't buy a smaller exhaust than that...

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd like too see what happens with a 2.5", we just felt that 2" would be best. Results were great so we stuck to it. I'l maybe go 2.5" when boosted.

·
Premium Member
5,332 Posts
i know what u mean... if the resources are there, why not make one... if it's too much trouble then just go with what you have... i'm a person of perfection so, i will push and push until i have the limits...

one major thing when thinking about the CR-Z is the IMA is gonna help down low NO MATTER WHAT... so anything i would make would be for upper gains taking priority... for example: a SRI has much better response for down low power but loses it up top mostly b/c of heat... a CAI would be more beneficial on this car, i think, b/c of the IMA boost down low and when it gets to the higher rpms, the CAI will make more power... does any of that make sense?? i don't have a CR-Z... i'm just using my logic here...

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yea that does make sense! If u recall the dyno sheet in caparison, u see we didn't make much more peak torque but power increased tremendously up top across the board. And your right about CAI, which is why we decided Yo go CAI instead of short ram.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.