Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing some work with a company that makes custom cast header/turbo upgrades for audi, porsche, and recently the skyline GTR. The GTR put down 770HP to the wheels from a stock 480 and no other mods than turbo, headers, full exhaust, and meth injection. I've contacted the main guy for prototyping. He said he'd be interested and use my 6spd but wants to know just how popular this might be..... What do you guys say? Only problem I could see, is he is VERY meticulous and his GTR kit goes for like 8G's! Granted thats twin turboed and more tricky plumbing, so this wouldn't be as bad, but he doesn't know just how much at this point and I'm sure that's going to be the number 1 question right?...:think:

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Considering that one turbo for that car can cost $3,500, I don't see his work being that expensive. Remember that when you twin turbo something that you need 2 of everything 'turbo' related. He's cheap.

I might be interested, but after my 100k mile warranty has expired. But none of this 'my turbo's bigger than yours' crap. A small snail is all this car needs.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If this will efffect gas consumption and I suspect it might, I would think for most folks the hybrid status / gas factor was a big reason for buying this car. For me:

1-5, 5 highest:

Brand: 4
Styling: 5
Features: 4
Hybrid: 4
Size: 4
Speed: 2
Handling: 3

·
Registered
803 Posts
I agree with the gas, electric assist.. however when and if the new CR-Z si, mugen, or type-r comes out and if it comes out. then that will be the crowd to buy the turbo. So I suppose if building a turbo fits this crz as well as the new one, which i doubt since it sounded like it was going to be a vtech engine. Things to consider. I personally plan on trading up my white, for a white of the faster CR-Z model if it ever comes out.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
If this will efffect gas consumption and I suspect it might, I would think for most folks the hybrid status / gas factor was a big reason for buying this car. For me:

1-5, 5 highest:

Brand: 4
Styling: 5
Features: 4
Hybrid: 4
Size: 4
Speed: 2
Handling: 3
Actually, if you keep your foot out of it, the turbocharger should give you more MPG, also. The reason it's associated w/ bad fuel economy is because people usually install turbos for more HP.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually, if you keep your foot out of it, the turbocharger should give you more MPG, also. The reason it's associated w/ bad fuel economy is because people usually install turbos for more HP.
From my experiance this statement is correct. The turbo acts like a fan on the exhaust helping pull exhaust out so the engine doesn't have to work to push it out. And of course giving it air so it doesn't have to suck air in. However the harder the pedal is pushed and the more air gets pushed in, that's when fuel mileage goes down. I'm building a turbo 6.0L V8 that of which everyone I've spoken to that has done the same build have gained 5 mpg. From 15 to 20mpg. (of course not stomping on it).

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
I agree with the gas, electric assist.. however when and if the new CR-Z si, mugen, or type-r comes out and if it comes out. then that will be the crowd to buy the turbo. So I suppose if building a turbo fits this crz as well as the new one, which i doubt since it sounded like it was going to be a vtech engine. Things to consider. I personally plan on trading up my white, for a white of the faster CR-Z model if it ever comes out.
i would not hold my breath waiting for a non-hybrid or more horsepower CR-Z to come out... don't get fooled by the fanboys and people that call themselves "enthusiasts" because the simple fact is the CR-Z has been doing really well in every market and even in the US where sales weren't expected to be really high, they are almost on track to selling EXACTLY what they wanted to sell... my guess for them not exceeding their sales quota is the fact that about 75% of the CR-Z's on the lots are CVT and it seems more people prefer the 6MT...

:eek:fftopic:

a kit for under $4k for a stage 1 and under $6k for a stage 2 sounds about right as pricing goes... and for the mpg comment... the +500hp Bisimoto CR-Z actually gets better mpg b/c the power on that car is almost identical to stock power up to about 4k rpms where the turbo starts to kick in and add crazy hp...

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
From my experiance this statement is correct. The turbo acts like a fan on the exhaust helping pull exhaust out so the engine doesn't have to work to push it out. And of course giving it air so it doesn't have to suck air in. However the harder the pedal is pushed and the more air gets pushed in, that's when fuel mileage goes down. I'm building a turbo 6.0L V8 that of which everyone I've spoken to that has done the same build have gained 5 mpg. From 15 to 20mpg. (of course not stomping on it).
Pics of the turbo 6.0 V8? I've been thinking about going from Carbuerated to TPI W/ a turbocharging for my '68 Camaro w/ bored and stroked engine. I believe it's 6.2 liter. Not sure, though.

i would not hold my breath waiting for a non-hybrid or more horsepower CR-Z to come out... don't get fooled by the fanboys and people that call themselves "enthusiasts" because the simple fact is the CR-Z has been doing really well in every market and even in the US where sales weren't expected to be really high, they are almost on track to selling EXACTLY what they wanted to sell... my guess for them not exceeding their sales quota is the fact that about 75% of the CR-Z's on the lots are CVT and it seems more people prefer the 6MT...

:eek:fftopic:

a kit for under $4k for a stage 1 and under $6k for a stage 2 sounds about right as pricing goes... and for the mpg comment... the +500hp Bisimoto CR-Z actually gets better mpg b/c the power on that car is almost identical to stock power up to about 4k rpms where the turbo starts to kick in and add crazy hp...
I agree about not holding your breath. I doubt an 'r' version of this car is coming.

I'd like to see the starter kit-stage 1 start just north of 3K. Honestly, the biggest piece of equipment is the turbocharger followed by I/C. And on a 'low' power platform, wouldn't need external wastegate. Low enough boost and you don't need a BOV.

On Stg.2 you could upgrade the turbo from a small integrated w/g unit to a bigger turbo (GT25?) w/ a TiAl wastegate, still on low boost and re-tuned, but with a BOV because the volume increase. TiAl is the bees knees. I think still, to this day. That's all we used when I ran/owned RSI Motorsports.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
I'd like to see the starter kit-stage 1 start just north of 3K. Honestly, the biggest piece of equipment is the turbocharger followed by I/C. And on a 'low' power platform, wouldn't need external wastegate. Low enough boost and you don't need a BOV.

On Stg.2 you could upgrade the turbo from a small integrated w/g unit to a bigger turbo (GT25?) w/ a TiAl wastegate, still on low boost and re-tuned, but with a BOV because the volume increase. TiAl is the bees knees. I think still, to this day. That's all we used when I ran/owned RSI Motorsports.
actually i was thinking more along the lines of the stage 1 and stage 2 kits being identical in parts... the only difference would be the stage 2 would come with engine internals and essentially mildly build the stock engine... and of course a tune for more power...

Stage 1 = 180hp/200tq redline @ 6800rpm
Stage 2 = 320hp/270tq redline @ 8200rpm

that would be my guesses :popcorn:

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
disagreeing here with better fuel economy on turbo. more power = more fuel. also, if the system necessitates larger injectors/upgraded rails...way more fuel.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
disagreeing here with better fuel economy on turbo. more power = more fuel. also, if the system necessitates larger injectors/upgraded rails...way more fuel.
you do realize that adding a turbo to a Honda, usually adds more power from mid-range up to peak rpm right?? this means that down low power is almost identical to stock... you also have to consider the car gets a custom tune which can lean out the cruising rpms a lot more than stock... that alone will give you better mpg than stock...

larger injectors/high-flow rail/fuel pump/etc are all irrelevant when cruising b/c you won't be maximizing their potential at cruising speeds... those parts simply allow for more fuel when needed... basically just b/c they allow for higher fuel flow, doesn't mean that flow isn't controlled...

manufactures ADD turbos to their cars more for its efficiency than for its power...

of course all of this means nothing if you drive at WOT all the time...

Supercharger OTOH, is bad for fuel economy... i haven't seen real world proof of a SC improving the engines FE...

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
actually i was thinking more along the lines of the stage 1 and stage 2 kits being identical in parts... the only difference would be the stage 2 would come with engine internals and essentially mildly build the stock engine... and of course a tune for more power...

Stage 1 = 180hp/200tq redline @ 6800rpm
Stage 2 = 320hp/270tq redline @ 8200rpm

that would be my guesses :popcorn:
That would be cool, too. It'd be essencial to beef up the bottom end with 320HP.

You're correct that it requires a bigger pump, injectors and new injector rails. But more power doesn't always = more fuel. Well it does, but Hondas make all of their power up top, same as a turbo. Now if you're like me, and can't keep your foot out of it you won't see an MPG gain. But if you drive it normally you sure as HELL will.

Come to think of it, the CR-Z would be the best car to test this on, being a hybrid.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pics of the turbo 6.0 V8? I've been thinking about going from Carbuerated to TPI W/ a turbocharging for my '68 Camaro w/ bored and stroked engine. I believe it's 6.2 liter. Not sure, though.

I agree about not holding your breath. I doubt an 'r' version of this car is coming.

2002 silverado LQ4. Yeah you'll probably notice in the picture the wastegate is mounted upsidedown. I'm relocating and adding two, one on each end of the exhaust bend. Just got it stuffed in my truck, haven't gotten it running yet. Thought I had more pics, but this is all I can find.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Nice piece of work electricswancrz! Btw, has anyone drove the Nissan Juke? If you want to get a bit of an idea of how your little CRZ would feel turbo-ed, give it a go! Personally I did not like the lag, the noise nor do I care for a street vehicle with a jekyll / hyde power ratio as in the Juke and some of the other B-segment turbos I have driven.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
2002 silverado LQ4. Yeah you'll probably notice in the picture the wastegate is mounted upsidedown. I'm relocating and adding two, one on each end of the exhaust bend. Just got it stuffed in my truck, haven't gotten it running yet. Thought I had more pics, but this is all I can find.

Looks well built! Where's the I/C? You can mount a wastegate at any angle. And you don't need 2. 1 is enough, they dump a lot of air. Just put a dump pipe straight out of it. I'd suggest routing it to behind the cabin if you straight pipe the dump pipe.

Did that make sense? Pics of the motor installed?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've got to find the pictures of it in the truck. Can't seem to find em. I've got to move the turbo to another location. No room in front. And I'd like to put the wastegates on the first bend after the header to allow them to be a bit more responsive. Just in case. I know exactly what your talking about. As soon as I find the pics I'll post them. I just finished installing 15 LEDs in my crz headlights like an audi as well as a custom grill I'll have to get pics of. :p

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I've got to find the pictures of it in the truck. Can't seem to find em. I've got to move the turbo to another location. No room in front. And I'd like to put the wastegates on the first bend after the header to allow them to be a bit more responsive. Just in case. I know exactly what your talking about. As soon as I find the pics I'll post them. I just finished installing 15 LEDs in my crz headlights like an audi as well as a custom grill I'll have to get pics of. :p
If you find pics I'd love to see it. I love me some turbo CSB V8.

I'd also like to see the 15 LED headlights. Can you make a write-up? I know, I'm asking a lot.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you find pics I'd love to see it. I love me some turbo CSB V8.

I'd also like to see the 15 LED headlights. Can you make a write-up? I know, I'm asking a lot.
I've been keeping it kind of hush hush, but I haven't done a write up yet because I just finished the headlights, then thought since I have the bumper off why not change the grill, then after that I realized that large plastic void in the grill is actually covers the crash bar, so now I'm fabing a plate to cover it.... Hopefully pictures will be soon. OK, heres a sneak peek...:think:

·
Registered
337 Posts
Turbocharging with same driving style and same mean speed on same course = more mpg. The ECU is sending same amount of fuel per piston cycle, anyway.
Why more mpg ? because you are quicker to be up to speed and quicker to be in 6th gear.

Most people with turbo are experiencing less mpg because they are more playful with their cars :p

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.