Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any guesses to when the first turbo kits become available? What about manufacturer?

I'm guessing this time next year and from Greddy. What do you think? :pics:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How would turbo'ing the car make the electric assist useless?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think the turbo possibility is high. there have been several turbo insights made with great results. I would like to see a little better performance than what the insights are making but since its already a little peppier than the insight that shouldn't be too hard.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would turbo it if decent engine managemenrt became available. 200whp with improved fuel economy while you're babying it would be nice. I was able to manage 199hp/164tq from my d15b in my 88 crx si at 7lb's of boost so I think it's doable.

·
Registered
99 Posts
if a turbo comes out (wishing it does) that would be amazing.. and ill def get it haha turbo crz wow it even sounds great

·
Registered
66 Posts
sounds like a DIY if you want it now. The worst part from experience is getting someone to do the mani. Almost any metal shop will bend pipe cheap. Now whether or not you want that raw steel look is your prerogative but hey, parting it out and diy is usually a cheaper way to go and you can still have everything you want

how the ecu handles the boost may be a completely different story

·
Premium Member
5,307 Posts
i think the hardest part would be the tuning...

no personal experience boosting a car... but quick question for those who might know... hypothetically, can i build a turbo kit (using a small turbo) and put it on the car with a 3lb spring (i think that's what it's called lol) and just drive the car like that?? i mean, wouldn't the spring allow for only that certain amount of boost on the turbo? let's say that is conservative, then the car would run decent (not great or close to it) right?

i'm such a FI no0b, when it comes to understanding the tuning process of it lol...

·
Registered
66 Posts
yeah you could do that if you wanted.

springs vary but im almost positive you could probably go somewhere around 7-10lbs on a stock configuration. Much more if any more would require new pistons rings seals blah blah blah....that list basically turns into a complete engine build. But the good thing about that is you get to upgrade all the parts and KNOW that you have a bullet proof engine. Just alot of those parts are yet to be around.

Realistically now thinking about it. A good SOLID turbo kit is probably 3-5 yrs out

·
Premium Member
5,307 Posts
actually since it's similar to the L15 from the current Fit, internals are already out :woowoo:

i'm not gonna go that crazy on it tho... i'm sure the stock parts could handle 200hp... which is all i would go to anyways on this car...

being that the Si could handle 8lbs (almost effortlessly) on all stock parts... and that engine also having a higher C/R of 11:1... wouldn't the CR-Z be able to 10 maybe up to 13lbs, all stock, given that the C/R on the CR-Z is only 10.4:1??

·
Registered
66 Posts
Good to know the internals are already out, im not real familiar with the internal crossovers in honda, this will be my first.

I've never seen anything good out of someone boosting so much on stock parts. Yeah it may run great right out the door, but those parts aren't made for that kind of abuse. 13lbs is heavy boost, and the SI was specifically built with sport performance in mind and that does carry over into some of the internals.

I would be interested to find out where the thresholds are.

Just one of those things that comes with time i guess.

·
Premium Member
5,307 Posts
good points... i was just curious about running higher (theoretically)... i keep forgetting that this was built with Hybrid in mind :p

i wonder who's gonna be the first to push the limits of this motor :popcorn:

actually now that i think of it, they might have already done that with the Fit engine... we could learn a lot from them... too bad most of the members here were coming from STi's, Si's, S2K's, NSX's, etc... only one or two Fit owners here... i guess they think their "Fit" is a better car/value :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
actually since it's similar to the L15 from the current Fit, internals are already out :woowoo:

i'm not gonna go that crazy on it tho... i'm sure the stock parts could handle 200hp... which is all i would go to anyways on this car...

being that the Si could handle 8lbs (almost effortlessly) on all stock parts... and that engine also having a higher C/R of 11:1... wouldn't the CR-Z be able to 10 maybe up to 13lbs, all stock, given that the C/R on the CR-Z is only 10.4:1??
having owned a fit i can tell you internals are not out. the only person to "build" the L15 had custom parts made for it. if this is anything like the 2nd gen fit the exhaust manifold is built into the head. and the engine code for this is car is different from the fits so i dont know what will transfer over if anything.

http://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-photos-videos/40428-built-fit-motor-build-thread.html

1 - 20 of 106 Posts