Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. I purchased everything I needed to fit a sony AX5650D to my 2013 non navi CRZ. After modifications to various adapters and wiring harnesses, I managed to get the system to work 100%. At first it didn't work but I needed to modify a ISO to RCA adapter. But anyway, my main problem now is actually fitting the bloody thing. I'm from the uk so I pretty much have 2 options. Buy the Connects2 CT23HD18 which is what I have done. My other option is find the original double din panel and use that... but the 3 shops I've contacted have none in stock. So in the mean time, I'm stuck with the Ct23hd18 kit.

The problems I'm facing are, the Sony AX5650D cage is 5mm taller than the cage I got with the kit. So the cage won't actually fit through the panel. If I place the Sony unit in the cage I got with the kit, there is no way to actual mount it. No bolt holes, no tabs to push in... nothing.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I came across a fitting guide on this form which suggests getting the original honda panel but, I that seems to be impossible. Finding the hazard switch and air bag light was hard enough...

The sony unit is exactly what I need. I don't really want to sell it off. Also trying to fit the new unit means, my old unit needs a code. I have the code to give to a dealer, to get a radio code but I'd rather get the sony unit fitted.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have photos which I will add once I get home.

·
Banned
433 Posts
Time to get creative.

Also I don't think the nav bezel is actually a double din. I think it is slightly smaller than double din from what I have read. UK might have something we didn't get here in the US.

·
Registered
9 Posts
When I did mine I got a new fit fascia or something, with plastic wings that screwed on the back, radio went straight in without a cage and screwed through to hold it in, maybe try contacting the seller to see if they can swap or advise?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi there again. I managed to get my sony fitted however the sound is pretty crap. On low volume you can hear it, just but turning it up makes it hiss and crackle. I'm assuming this is because my car has the subwoofer?

I found the installation guide on your forum but I am unsure on how to actually do it.
Handwriting Font Pattern Paper Paper product

I have the diagram here. That plug, is what goes into my sony unit. So I'm assuming I have to cut them and attach each speaker wire to an RCA connector and plug into the back of my unit?
Both wires have a + and -. How do I connect them up to the RCA plugs I purchased ? Do I put both purple wires into the RCA plug for the rear right speaker for example?

I assume my subwoofer will still work after this? I have no idea how all this works.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Administrator
7,871 Posts
Might as well stay in the same thread as it is all related. Go back over all of your connections make sure they are tight. It worked prior to install it should work after. check for things liked pinched wires etc. It is well known that the CR-Z does not fit a standard double DIN radio it is some intermediate size.

Good luck getting sorted.

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
775 Posts
just but turning it up makes it hiss and crackle. I'm assuming this is because my car has the subwoofer
Could be. Someone wrote to me saying that his radio was very loud and that he also heard a hissing sound, and I think it's because of the factory amplifier. I had a $100 single din Sony radio and I absolutely loved the sound, I can't imagine a $300+ unit would sound worse.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you have a sub it's likely the factory amp causing the hiss, a lot of higher price radios have an onboard amp and multiple amps rarely get along, RCAs should fix.
For the RCAs both cables (eg RR+, RR-) go to the same connector, positive goes to the pin, neg to the cup, if you're not sure a multimeter in diode mode can let you chase the connections.
If you're getting sound at all then the factory amp should be getting power and will continue to work as-is.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you have a sub it's likely the factory amp causing the hiss, a lot of higher price radios have an onboard amp and multiple amps rarely get along, RCAs should fix.
For the RCAs both cables (eg RR+, RR-) go to the same connector, positive goes to the pin, neg to the cup, if you're not sure a multimeter in diode mode can let you chase the connections.
If you're getting sound at all then the factory amp should be getting power and will continue to work as-is.
Thanks! I've just added all the rca cables however, now I get nothing. No sound, hissing or crackling. From what I've read, I need to activate my amp. How do I go about doing this? I've asked a friend and a shop, they said just run a wire from the amp wire on the stock harness to a positive. However, looking at diagrams, pin 21 should be the amp wire but I don't have any. It should be the 4th on the bottom row.
Hand Finger Nail Thumb Musical instrument accessory

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks! I've just added all the rca cables however, now I get nothing. No sound, hissing or crackling. From what I've read, I need to activate my amp. How do I go about doing this? I've asked a friend and a shop, they said just run a wire from the amp wire on the stock harness to a positive. However, looking at diagrams, pin 21 should be the amp wire but I don't have any. It should be the 4th on the bottom row.
There should be a blue wire on the adapter harness, Mine had a bullet connector and I just crimped a male that fit onto a spare live the radio harness had.

Interesting you had sound and now don't, mine didn't make any noise until I powered the amp, then I had to run around making it listenable.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Please bear in mind that the factory amp give sound to the subwoofer through an inductive process involving the front speakers. Please check the wires going to the adapter for the radio harness to make sure that the crimps are the correct size not using two large or too small.
Because you have a factory amp that's wired directly into the wire harness and is located somewhere under the dash. Your replacement radio needs to be plugged into the amp out puts not the regular stereo speaker wire outputs of your new radio. Those are the preamp out wires.
The post-out amp are usually RCA jacks. The center should be positive the surrounding metal should be negative.
My other suggestion would be for you to contact Sony and or the persons that you got the kit from.
I did not use a Dremel.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts