Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not sure it's just my car but sometimes my trunk button freezes, (yeah it's cold here in Ottawa, Canada but not cold enough yet) I have to try couple times to get it working and it feels like it's frozen. anybody have that problem yet?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Been down to -20 deg celcius here, and the only thing that didn't work were the headlight washers. They didn't take any permanent damage from being frozen though. I also noticed that when the car was sitting outside in that cold weather the seatbelt warning "beeper" thing got all distorted. Funny, and also no permanent damage.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Electronics do seem to slow down a bit in the cold. My navi unit takes a bit longer to display the map. It loads 1/4 of the screen at a time when it's cold. It's normal.

The trunk button may be faulty, though. If it gets worse take it to the dealer for warranty repair.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
yes, I think that's what's happening to me too. Rubber seal seems to be freezing so I have to heat it with my fingertips(?) to get it working.. I wonder if the dealer can do anything about this...
There are a few products you just apply to the seals that help. My brain isn't working this morning, so I can't remember what I used. I use it on the door seals as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey guys, I've detected the same problem with the trunk switch last week.
I've also tried to warm the rubber with my fingertips but it doesn't work. I've also tried with some little heater to warm up your hands inside of clothes pockets...didn't really work...
For me it feels like the rubber's not the problem but the switch itself. The rubbers still flexibel, or I can get it flexible with my fingetips, but the switch feels like a frozen block.
Maybee moisture get's inside, freezes and blocks the movement of the switch...

It's about -5 to -15 °C in Germany those weeks, but that's obviously not cold enough to stop such parts from working. I'm going to visit my dealer tomorrow morning as the switch uses to work in the afternoon when it get's a little bit warmer outside.

I'm curious about what he'll propose to fix this problem! Every car larger than a compact car has got an electrical trunk release nowadays, especially car's >20k€.
None of my colleagues detect such a problem with their cars...

kind regards,
McFaxe

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've had several weeks of -20C or lower and never had an issue with the trunk other than ice/snow collecting in the little dip where you put your finger to hit the button.

I do not have a garage so my car is always outside. Are those of you having trunk issues parking in a heated garage,perhaps causing melting and refreezing?

·
Registered
15 Posts
So my dealer fixed it. First they couldn't imagine how this happens but after detaching the switch, they warmed it up an blew it out with compressed air.
There was probably moisture or even a little bit water between the switch and the rubber skin. As it's one part, they weren't able to seperate it, but the problem's fixed now.

They told me, that this switch hast two little drills to let the moisture out of it but maybe during washing the car, water get's into it that way...
I wash mine by hand, so you also clean the button in open trunk position. Maybe in some positions (like a open trunk) water get's inside more easily...in comparison to a closed trunk during automatic washing.....

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I fixed mine by popping out the switch (it's fitted with clips, so you can pull it out with some force), heating with a heat gun which melted all the ice and water started dripping out. after all the water is out, I used wd-40(or rubber safe lube) around the buttons and gaps in rubber so no water can get it. It worked fine ever since.

Just be careful not to spray pressure water directly in to the button part when washing your car.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I had that happen Wednesday, my trunk button would not budge. It was damp and cold here. Today, it's working.

And my info panel is really slow when it's cold. It will fade and hang there a second or two until it moves on.

I haven't noticed the navigation being slow, I will look for that this weekend.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey Chaos,

I also detected the info panel reacting really slow at low temperatures while the tachometer is fine like's +20°C!
I think they took different types of LCD for the info display, so that the tachometer (as most important indicator) always reacts fast!

I know that problem from my old car (Renault Twingo), but at this one the tachometer was slow at low temeperatures too! :) Well, it was not that fast type of a car I think :)

I've just returned from shopping and detected a new problem: The IMA sign popped up, it seems to be more a summer car...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.