Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anybody having trouble with their Air conditioner? Mine the air is not very cold? Is it in need of warranty service? All my other cars the air comes out very cold,and quickly cools off the car. Here I turn the dial to Low and the air blowing is not cold at all, it's not warm but it's not cold either . Any thoughts?

·
Registered
151 Posts
The A/C in the CR-Z works very well.

I would suggest reading your owner's manual- specifically the section on Auto Stops.

When the engine is off, the A/C Compressor is also off. Thus, any air blowing from your vents is not conditioned. Personally, I don't mind (even living in hot-ass Florida), because it's only momentary and if the car's cool already, it's fine. Keep in mind though that I have IR-repelling window tint all around.

There are ways to prevent the car from going into Auto Stop to prevent the compressor from shutting down. The easiest way (for a manual transmission anyway) is to leave it in gear. Also having it in Sport mode always seems to prevent it as well. Don't forget that preventing Auto Stops is going to decrease your MPG!

·
Registered
332 Posts
You can also review the A/C operation in your owner's manual, maybe you're venting the air elsewhere, sometimes these things happen and I panic that my A/C 's broke. One serious design defect is definitely the two driver-side dashboard vents; they face almost straight up, and the up/down flap can't blow the air horizontally. In other words, I'll need to put my head into the windshield to get cold air blowing in my face, which I enjoy in Florida April onwards, maybe this is part of your A/C problem. Honda, if you're spying around this forum, note this design goof.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
^ Had the "doh!!! moment in my CR-Z when I first bought it - coming from my 07 Civic Hybrid... Was setting the temp and thinking it was in auto, e.g using the climate control. But never actually was in auto. Just blowing the fan. As others have posted, take a close look at your manual and then if it is still not working, check with the stealership's service department.. I also find the Climate control (A/C) works well.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I would also recommend checking the manual.

I've generally got a knack for such things ... yet I spent a few extra minutes tinkering with this AC to figure it out.
It's not as straightforward as most, got to make sure you've got it in the right mode and aren't just blowing the fan.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mmmmmmmm so I should read the instruction manual ? I'd say that's a good Idea.
Took it on the highway yesterday,the A/C did blow cold air and cool off the car. I must had something set wrong or engine was in fact off ?
Thanks to all.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You can push the button that tells the ac to be in the " off " position even if your choosing a colder temp on the dial.

Keep in mind that Honda also has one of the industries weakest cooling systems. The cool down time on a hot day may be as much as 15 minutes.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Keep in mind that Honda also has one of the industries weakest cooling systems. The cool down time on a hot day may be as much as 15 minutes.

Ahhh....this is fact or fiction? Any data to back that up? Or this is only your opinion? :ionono:

Personally experience not exact science. 2005 Chevy Malibu V6 and 2007 Honda Accord 4 Cycl. Malibu...have to always set the AC max with fan blowing at Medium speed to obtain comfort in the cabin. Accord...set AC max with lowest fan blowing and my girl has to shut off the vent on her side of the vehicle (side note: dual climate control in this situation is ideal) to prevent freezing her arse. I had to reduce AC to increase temperature in the cabin.

For the CR-Z...it is comfortable thus far with the AC shut off at stop light and comes back on when I roll. I am okay with this feature. I do understand sometimes we can't or don't want to have engine shut off at a stop due to extreme cabin temperature (and there are ways to prevent this from happening both by driver means or by the car automatic system). While driving on highway, AC gets cold, had to increase cabin temperature by setting auto AC to 75F...normally I set mine at 68F if by myself. MHO.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is my first Honda. We just switched seasons here in the north east,it got hot so I turned on the A/C,it surprised me. I expected cold air, I thought it was Hybrid related. On the highway it worked fine I guess as you say, Honda makes a weak A/C unit.
It also changed my gas mileage a lot , as expected.
I'm thinking a better solution if I'm gonna waste gas is to roll down the windows down and put in Sport mode.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've owned 2 90's honda civics, a CR V, two Accord's and now the CR Z spread over 20+ years. ALL of them had sorry arse AC temps. They work but MAN do they take their own sweet time cooling off the car. That's only 6 of a few million but, it is a trend rather than a fluke .. True?

·
Registered
669 Posts
I think that Honda disengages the A/C compressor under certain conditions to allow more HP to go to the wheels. I always noticed that in the S2000 at high RPM, the A/C would warm up a little. I wonder if they're doing something similar with the CR-Z to manage power/efficiency/battery usage?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Most cars use a vacuum system to control the duct AC/Heat selector. If the temps change at high rpm then, the duct is being moved out of place by the extra vacuum. Its a comprimise using that set up but .. no harm because you are usually only on the gas like that for short bursts.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.