Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Week 2 of owning this car and I tried to pull up a small hill leaving a parking lot, the car was trying to accelerate but it was like something wasn’t allowing it to move much at all. I noticed briefly that under the mph display m-1 popped up, I put it in park and put it into drive and it started moving like nothing had happened and the code went off immediately. Drove it around for about 15 more minutes with no problems, any ideas on what the issue could be? I’m really stressing about this because I can’t find a single thing about it online. Maybe I miss read the code it gave? It’s a 2013 cvt that’s driven fine otherwise.

· Registered
2011 Honda CR-Z EX (CVT)
359 Posts
It means you pressed the paddle shifter, you can go back to normal by pressing either the econ, normal, or sports mode buttons. I learned about the paddle shifters by accident and now I like them. They look like the + and - on the steering wheel, the next time you drive you should try them out.

· Premium Member
9,067 Posts
As stated by Outatime you accidentally activated manual shift mode. Manual shift mode works best in Sport mode. In Econ or normal it is momentarily in manual mode. In Sport it holds the pseudo gear you selected. To turn off manual shift mode click any mode button. It is easier than what you did with the shifter lever and probably safer.

Here is a posting I made on that functionality in another thread and I have pasted the image of the page from my owners manual in case you do not want to look at the Quote or other thread.:
While car is moving( should work when not moving too) hold both paddles back and you will see the gear show L other than that can you using the paddles manually change though the 7 "gears"?

See attached for the directions from my owners manual. View attachment 64186

Mine is a 2013 but yours should be similar.

If you do not have the owners manual or if you want to access online you can use this web site. You may want to register. Honda Owners Site | Tips, Tools & Benefits for Honda Owners

Do your paddles appear to do anything? Does the M and a number ever show in your cluster? Maybe they are disconnected or have never worked.

Week 2 of owning this car and I tried to pull up a small hill leaving a parking lot, the car was trying to accelerate but it was like something wasn’t allowing it to move much at all. I noticed briefly that under the mph display m-1 popped up, I put it in park and put it into drive and it started moving like nothing had happened and the code went off immediately. Drove it around for about 15 more minutes with no problems, any ideas on what the issue could be? I’m really stressing about this because I can’t find a single thing about it online. Maybe I miss read the code it gave? It’s a 2013 cvt that’s driven fine otherwise.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It’s my first time owning a cvt and this feature never even occurred to me, I assumed it had no reason to have a way of manual shifting. Thank you guys so much, I had a dream last night that I pulled the whole car apart trying to fix it that’s how worried I was haha, got that stressed over a cool feature the car has. I’m excited now to give it a try because I was a little bummed I didn’t get the manual version to begin with, and L mode is going to be a blessing up hills.

· Premium Member
9,067 Posts
Conventional Automatics have always had a way to manually choose a gear(1,2,3 etc). On a CVT and most modern cars it is a little bit more complicated or easier depending on your interpretation of the feature( some cars you move shifter to the right and can bump it up or down to change gears as an example). Big difference is in a CVT manually shifting is Pseudo Gears as normally it is a Continuously Variable set of ratios and depending on a lot of factors it adjusts continuously. In manual mode it has 7 fixed ratios.

It’s my first time owning a cvt and this feature never even occurred to me, I assumed it had no reason to have a way of manual shifting. Thank you guys so much, I had a dream last night that I pulled the whole car apart trying to fix it that’s how worried I was haha, got that stressed over a cool feature the car has. I’m excited now to give it a try because I was a little bummed I didn’t get the manual version to begin with, and L mode is going to be a blessing up hills.

· Registered
2,819 Posts
No, It is WAD (Works As Designed). As stated the OP accidentally activated manual shift mode. I did that too the first week I owned The Speed Bump. Even odder is if you accidentally activate Low mode that is harder due to the time delay but possible.
My assessment stands. The CVT acts in ways that conventional automatics and manuals don't. Whether in manual-1, "drive", reverse, or 1st, if you put your foot on the go pedal, you expect the car to GO. With the CVT, sometimes it doesn't. If that's working as designed, then it's pretty much by definition a "quirk" that you may or may not ever get used to.

· Premium Member
9,067 Posts
I have had it not "go" once so it is a learning curve and lets agree to disagree on the issue. Yes it is different but not difficult to have it work the way you expect. It takes a bit of reading the owners manual and learning just like any new vehicle from a Bicycle to a tractor for trucking. Every vehicle with multiple gears takes learning ,they are all different just some are more different from each other than others.

In this Ops case he activated Manual mode and it worked as designed and depending what drive mode he was in, it would have turned off manual mode or not but with the directions I posted(or reading the Owners manual) it is simple, hit any mode button to go to automatic non manual mode..

My assessment stands. The CVT acts in ways that conventional automatics and manuals don't. Whether in manual-1, "drive", reverse, or 1st, if you put your foot on the go pedal, you expect the car to GO. With the CVT, sometimes it doesn't. If that's working as designed, then it's pretty much by definition a "quirk" that you may or may not ever get used to.

· Registered
2,819 Posts
Definition of "quirk"
"a peculiarity of action or behavior"
In other words, it may be working as designed, but not as expected.
OR there's something actually wrong. @Sid You may want to have the CVT fluid checked/changed, depending on mileage and use by previous ownership. See if that helps for next time.

· Premium Member
9,067 Posts
He accidentally hit the paddle and it worked properly not a quirk. No need for anything further

Definition of "quirk"
"a peculiarity of action or behavior"
In other words, it may be working as designed, but not as expected.
OR there's something actually wrong. @Sid You may want to have the CVT fluid checked/changed, depending on mileage and use by previous ownership. See if that helps for next time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.