Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

Transmission FLUSH

13K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  litz 
#1 ·
Just picked up a 2012 CR-Z for my son, 30k miles. He's off to college soon. I want to take care of any preventative maintenance before he leaves. I remember when we had a 2008 Civic the auto transmission fluid got dark kinda quick and had to have it flushed. Thinking of having it done to the CR-Z before he leaves.

Anyone here had it done and at what mileage did you have it done?

#2 ·
Honda recommends at 30,000. It is very simple to do yourself and you can get the honda cvt fluid off ebay fairley cheap. I actually skipped the first change and waited until 60,000 and did the filter then as well. That was mostly because my step daughter was driving it at that time of routine maintenance and neglected to do it, but I wouldn't recommend going that long.

#3 ·
The Maintenance Minder tells when the CVT "needs" a fluid change.

We flush toilets when they're full of crap. If no one's crapped in your transmission, it doesn't need to be flushed. A lot of formulation goes into transmission (and other) oils to assure that they'll carry contaminants in solution, and take suspended contaminants out with them. A change of fluid and (external) filter is enough. Some like to change the internal filter, but its area surface is so huge that I don't think it's ever needed, and if the cover's not disturbed, it won't grow a leak.

My former 60K CVT had been changed once (I thought it was around 25K). Worked flawlessly. Moderate use, frequent paddle-downshifts, usually driven in Normal mode.

And the kid should be old enough to take care of his own maintenance. But it'd be great if you'd come up with (some of) the $200 for it.

Bear in mind that I've never been flushed, so I may be full of it as well.

#4 ·
I suspect that this will be the first CVT fluid change (at 30,000 miles) on the car, so it's a good time to do it. I suggest that you change the in-line filter https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~filter~25430-PLR-003.html only every-other change, so it's not really necessary at this time. If you want some good father/son time before he takes off for college, now's the time to change it together, but it sounds like you'll be having it done by a nearby shop--either way, it's a simple, and the only thing that can go wrong is to put something other than Honda CVT fluid in there.
Honda CVT Fluid - 08200-9006
http://www.crzforum.com/forum/do-yourself-articles/12335-diy-cvt-fluid-filter-change.html

#5 ·
I have read all manuals provided with my 2013 CR-Z and there is no recommendation for replacement or flush of the transmission fluid or filter. I was of the impression all is in the codes for the MID. I also saw nothing about the timing belt( I am hoping it is a chain). Just like we used to change oil every 3000 miles something like transmission fluid flushes etc is now not by just mileage but monitor that takes many factors into account.:smile2:

I did learn from this forum of the hidden inline filter which if you are changing the fluid I would also change the filter especially if it is the first ever fluid change as there may be more debris from things breaking in.:frown2:

As with all things you will find everyone has an opinion and all are valid for their situations. Read as much as you can and make the best educated decision you can.:smile2:

#9 ·
I haven't, and wouldn't even think of using anything other than Genuine Honda CVT fluid. I'm not against anyone else experimenting on their own car and quantifying the results, but my reasoning is the result of not fully understanding the needs of the CVT's inner workings as related to Honda's specified fluid, as if using it, and only it, is a good luck charm of sorts. :| :wink2:

#10 ·
We had a panic thread about the "wrong" fluid:

http://www.crzforum.com/forum/trans...sed-atf-dw1-fluid-instead-cvt-fluid-sigh.html

But I don't think we ever heard more about it. I wonder about it from time to time. I wonder how many Honda CVTs are rolling around out there with dime-store ATF in them, and no one being the wiser.

The Honda CVT is something of an odd animal, but the technology and its copies are becoming more and more widespread and by now have been around in various applications for at least three decades. For whatever reason, Honda has their own fluid specs, and I can't think of any reason to try wandering. I can't envision getting "more" from the CVT in any way.

Then again, I've never understood the difference between Dextron and Type F, other than to not cross the streams. Because it would be bad.

#14 ·
Actually I changed my mind the amsoil cvt fluid 4qt is 30$ more then buying oem brand. I really could find any other after market brands, but did like the reviews for the amsoil just can't bring myself to pay that much more for something I'm not sure is worth it.

#15 ·
So far as I know, other than dealers and their shills, AmsOil never has really gotten a solid reputation in the real world. Other than the price, I've not heard that much "bad" about it (that I put much faith in), but if I were going to a smaller brand I'd check with RedLine first.

But for the CVT, I'll still stay with Honda Genuine, despite doubting there's much threat.

And keep in mind I don't hate FRAM filters, either.

#17 ·
Amsoil reminded me of Avon or Tupperware back when it came out. People (dealers) would set up buy groups to make orders to sell the product. It was an exclusive thing and like you said, really lost out when major companies began producing full synthetics. I knew someone like 10 years ago who always tried to push it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.