Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 6sp manual 135,000 miles.
I have a knocking coming from my transmission. The noise is relevant to the wheel soeed (not engine speed). At hwy speeds, it sounds like a heatsheild rattle. Verry fast pace, vibration noise. When slowing to a stop, the noise changes with the wheel speed. At around 20mph and slower, the noise slows enough that it make a very distinct knock. I get no sound change or new sounds when turning the wheels while moving. So its not axles. At first, i thought it was a rod knock. But then i noticed that the sound did not go away when in neutral or with the clutch in. Then i jacked up the left front and spun the wheel in neutral. I could hear a clicking noise coming from the transmission, and could barely feel something every time it clicked if i was touching the trasmissiin housing with my hand. I cant find anything on the internet talking about this issue. Driving wise, no issues at all. Any ideas anyone?

· This space deliberately left blank
2,516 Posts
Sounds more like a CV shaft. Things to check if they affect the noise

• Clutch pedal like @spartaikemal suggested.
  • Does it matter what gear you're in? It's the noise the same in 5th grade at highway speeds as it is in 6th?
  • Auto stop. If it makes the noise while you're coasting down with auto stop activated (engine shut down, trans in neutral), then it is either axle, wheel bearing, or differential noise.
  • Cornering. Does the noise get louder going around left corners or right corners?
  • Accel vs decel. Do you notice the noise at all when you're speeding up, or is it only on when speaking down?

· Registered
2010 Honda CR-Z Sport Black
18 Posts
2013 6sp manual 135,000 miles.
I have a knocking coming from my transmission. The noise is relevant to the wheel soeed (not engine speed). At hwy speeds, it sounds like a heatsheild rattle. Verry fast pace, vibration noise. When slowing to a stop, the noise changes with the wheel speed. At around 20mph and slower, the noise slows enough that it make a very distinct knock. I get no sound change or new sounds when turning the wheels while moving. So its not axles. At first, i thought it was a rod knock. But then i noticed that the sound did not go away when in neutral or with the clutch in. Then i jacked up the left front and spun the wheel in neutral. I could hear a clicking noise coming from the transmission, and could barely feel something every time it clicked if i was touching the trasmissiin housing with my hand. I cant find anything on the internet talking about this issue. Driving wise, no issues at all. Any ideas anyone?
A friend had this exact issue a few weeks ago. We thought it was CV joint but later discovered it was inside the gearbox. Bearings in gearbox needed replaced. It's perfect now,

· Registered
16 Posts
Do you know which bearings it needed? Its at the shop right now and theyre talking full rebuild or replacement of the transmission
It’s probably input shaft bearing
Mine went out at about 170k on my 2011
Swapped transmissions with a wrecked 2015
I highly suggest also swapping the shaft seal as mine is now leaking and I’ve gotta take it all apart again lol

· Registered
16 Posts
It’s probably input shaft bearing
Mine went out at about 170k on my 2011
Swapped transmissions with a wrecked 2015
I highly suggest also swapping the shaft seal as mine is now leaking and I’ve gotta take it all apart again lol
It made noise a light click or tick until id push the clutch in
And at higher speeds no noise

1 - 7 of 7 Posts