Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One month ago I was in an accident that wiped out my 1999 Toyota Corolla which I used as my daily driver.

My wife and I had 4 vehicles at the time.

- 1999 Toyota Corolla - My daily driver.
- 2008 Toyota Corolla S - My wife's daily driver
- 2005 Chevrolet Colorado Extended Cab 4X4 we used to run errands
- 2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP Convertible - My fun car

The 1999 Corolla averaged 32 miles/gallon. It had 197,000 miles on it at the time of the accident. I lost control of the car when I encountered wet icy roads on the way to work one morning. I over compensated and caught the side of the road. There was no shoulder to speak of and the ground was soft and saturated that morning. Even though I was driving at the posted speed limit of 35 MPH, when the front wheel left the road, I was pulled in and could not recover. The car basically turned into a tobbogan sled and all I could do was brace for impact. I slid into the ditch, slammed into a mailbox mounted on a steel/concrete post, went up and over a culvert, onto the driveway, and then came to rest in the ditch on the other side of the driveway. The car was still driveable but needed some major work that I did not want to put into it. Parked it out in front of my house and sold it three days later for $700.00.

When I wiped out Corolla, I started using the Colorado as my daily driver. At that time Gas was $2.79/gallon. My drive is 65 miles round trip to work and back. The truck only averaged 17 to 20 miles/gallon. In other words I was using almost twice the gas to get to and from work. In less than a month prices were at $4.00/gallon here in Wisconsin. My last fill up of the truck was $70.00. At that point, I knew it was time for the truck to go. 10 days after listing the Colorado it sold.

The search was on for a new car. I looked at everything. Scions (XB/XD), Mini Cooper Hard Top S, Toyota (Corolla/Yaris), Ford (Feista, Focus, Mustang), Nissans (Versa, Leaf), Chevys (Camaro/Cobalt), and Hyundai (Elantra/Genesis) If it averaged over 30 miles/gallon... I looked at it or drove it. We then looked at Hondas.

Never owned one but what brought me into the Honda Dealership was the Honda Civic GX the model that runs on Compressed Natural Gas (CNG). At $0.99/gas equivalent gallon in my area this was a no brainer to me. Going from $70.00 fill up down to a $8.00 fill up was beyond my expectations. We test drove one on the dealerships lot (a car they used to shuttle customers that came in for service). Nice ride, nice car. We also drove a CR-Z the same day but at that time we were really into the idea of the CNG Civic GX. If we wanted a Civic GX the dealer would have to order it. Almost did that on the spot but decided we would come back the next day (after we had cash in hand from the sale of the truck) to order and because the sales person had to figure out which dealership he was going to get the car from. We went home to do some more internet research on CNG and the Civic GX. After some web searches, we became concerned with CNG availability. Seems like there is alot of problems with the CNG pumps at some filling stations. Pumps not having enough PSI to fill the tank completely full. They also have to train and certify a customer before they can use the CNG pump. Considered a home filling pump but then found out that the pumps need to be rebuilt after so many hours of operation at a steep repair tag and that the manufacturer of the home filling station had gone out of business. None of this was mentioned to us by the salesperson.

It was back to the drawing board.

I had two options:

1 - Pay for a new car with the proceeds from the sale of the truck and finance the rest.

2- Trade in the Solstice and pay the balance in cash. If this was to happen, the car would have to be sporty and fun to drive.

I ruled out the Chevy Camaro and Ford Mustang because of price and low MPG. Would have purchase a 2010 Chevy Cobalt SS but the dealers were out of them and did not want to order from another dealership that had them out of state. The Mini Cooper is nice but pricey and seems to have alot of repair issues. Considered the Hyundia Genesis 3.8 Track which was nice but again pricey.

Started thinking back to the test drive of the CR-Z. It looked and felt sporty to drive. Loved the instrumentation and all the gadgets. Its become cliche (because of Mini Cooper Advertising) but I compare driving the CR-Z to driving a go-kart. The car turns on a time and its like you are one with the road when you are behind the wheel of this car. I am not a tree hugging lefty by any means. However, the MPG of the Hybrid engine makes this car a no brainer when it comes time for a buying decision.

Opted for option #2 and traded in my 2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP Convertible for my 2011 CR-Z EX-NAV on 04-21-11. Dont get me wrong, the Solstice was very difficult to part with it. For the last 2 1/2 years she was my summer time fun ride. Debated long and hard before I penned the deal (my wife claims I shed tears).... So far no regrets.. But I will keep you all posted.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!!! CVT and the color is North Shore Blue Pearl.

Had them add the all weather matts, rear spoiler, all weather cargo tray, auto dimming mirror, and arm rest. Considering some others as well. :thumbup:

·
Registered
130 Posts
know the feeling kinda i traded in my 2007 fully loaded Jeep Wrangler X for my Z. so same no regets and its been a month now! i love the car more and more with each passing day.

Congrats and Welcome!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Nice nick BIO. :hi5:

I'm new to Honda myself but no problems so far. (okay 2000 miles isn't exactly a long term eval %-) Got the Honda rear rubber cargo mat and a set of Weathertech mats. Have an old 8 gb USB stick semi permanently hooked to the port and set to random for when the mountains block the good radio stations!

Have seen 3 other CR-Zs in the area (western NC), white, black and a silver, The silver one caught me so offguard in a parking lot with the it's size and great lines. Pictures do NOT do this car justice! I had to at least see if my old bones could get in and out of one. Have to add that 40 mpg without a lot of hypermiling tricks is soooo nice!

Northshore Blue, CVT, EX.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.