Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Might be the wrong forum for this but I'm new.

New cars mandated to have TPMS for last few years, but are all after market sellers on board with this?

Can the original wheel stems (sp?) just be installed onto all custom wheels during mounting or is it a "hit and miss" with some companies offering and some not.

I am 99% sure of getting a new CR-Z (assuming the dealer does not lose his mind) and about 90% sure of after market rims but HAVE to have the TPMS installed and working.

Feedback appreciated.

Also - beware of JAY WOLFE HONDA in Kansas City. It's the "land of the $281 splash guard". LOL. I have no problem with a dealer making a profit but a 128% mark up sends me on down the road.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
New cars mandated to have TPMS for last few years, but are all after market sellers on board with this?

Can the original wheel stems (sp?) just be installed onto all custom wheels during mounting or is it a "hit and miss" with some companies offering and some not.

I had Discount Tire just move the TPMS from the OEM wheels to my new wheels.. no big deal. Tirerack also has the TPMS info:

Cut and paste:

------------------------------------------

• Your vehicle is equipped with a tire pressure monitoring system that requires a sensor to be installed in the tire and wheel assembly for proper operation.
    At this time, Tire Rack does not have sensors available for your vehicle. The original sensors from your original wheels can be used or you may purchase new sensors elsewhere. The wheel you have selected is not designed to accept tire pressure monitoring system sensors. The Original Equipment sensors from your Original Equipment wheels may be compatible with the new wheels you selected. Please consult the "Important Notes" link found online for more information or call Tire Rack for assistance.

A TPMS repair/rebuild kit is required when sensors are reused.

As an option you may purchase the sensors listed below. They are compatible with both your vehicle's TPMS and the wheel you have selected.
    Additional Information
    A trained technician should perform installation of your sensors after your new wheels are shipped to you. Tire Rack's Recommended Installers are available to help you with your installation needs and can be selected by ZIP Code in the shopping cart.
    Once installed, you will need to read your vehicle's owner's manual to review the proper procedure for allowing your vehicle to "recognize" the new sensors.

For most vehicles we offer other wheel options that will accept sensors.
    Use Wheel Search to find compatible wheels, or contact us for further assistance.
    Additional Information
    Without the sensors you will not receive notification of pressure loss in your tires. While some customers choose to use wheels without sensors, Tire Rack is unable to provide information on the effect this will have on your vehicle or the warnings and information it provides regarding tire pressure.

Your system includes:
    315MHz Tire Pressure Sensor
    $144.00 for a quantity of 4

Total Price: $144.00
    Additional Information
    If you purchase a Tire & Wheel Package when you buy new sensors, the sensors will be installed on the wheels at no additional charge. Otherwise, you will have to arrange for installation by a trained technician after your new wheels are shipped to you. Tire Rack's Recommended Installers are available to help you with your installation needs and can be selected by ZIP Code in the shopping cart.
    Once installed, you will need to read your vehicle's owner's manual to review the proper procedure for allowing your vehicle to "recognize" the new sensors.

------------------------------------------------------

Hope that helps!:popcorn:

·
Registered
106 Posts
I looked up new tires at the shop I go to. They found a style I like and they come with the TPMS package and such.

As for the splash guard: My dealership had added on a installation fee (to everything) because they may be in the same dealership as service but the service department charges them for things.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.