Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Brand new to the forum here so please bare with me :rolleyes:

Well, my wife just ordered a CRZ after months of going back and forth between the Mini, Volvo C30, and of course the CRZ. We have been Honda people for years so I'm glad the decision is finally made. Now the wait for the silver 6sp begins - hopefully it won't be too long. Anyways, on to the reason for this thread...

Seeing that we are in Canada and there is snow on the ground for what seems like 11 months of the year, the first thing I did when I found out she called the dealer and put her money down on the table was to order up a winter wheel/tire package from TireRack before they are out of winter tires (may or may not happen). Of course the TPMS topic came up and that put a halt on the order until I get a little more info. This is all new to me (I use to be a service manager and technician but the TPMS stuff is new). I understand how it works, but a few questions remain and I was hoping someone here might be able to enlighten me on a few things and some options perhaps.

Sounds like Honda's TPMS system has to be reprogrammed through the OBD2 port with a special TPMS tool each time a new sensor set is fit on the car such as when the winter wheel set is installed (assuming I decide to get the sensor package). Not a big fan of having a TPMS warning on the dash for 4 months of the year. I also understand that the dealer likes to soak folks for the TPMS reprogram??? To me this is absolutely criminal (and I use to be a service manager)... So for those of us who want to do the smart thing and get a winter wheel/tire set, we have to spend 60 to 100 bucks in the fall and again in spring for the reprogram - correct? :angry:

Options:

1.Live with the warning light (also heard on some Honda's when it's on, the stability control is disabled - if that is true, it's not an option).

2.Find some way of removing the TPMS warning light - not likely.

3.Purchase a TPMS progaming tool, if so, which one? Seems there is a lot of talk about one called the ATEQ TPMS Quick Set that works with Honda's system (at least up to 2010) priced in the $170.00 range. Certainly worth while if it works.

4.Disable the TPMS system - again, not likely.

5.Suck it up and shell out the coin twice a year for a so called safety item that to me is a complete cash grab and pretty much defeats the purpose of having two different wheel sets. It would be less expensive to have the tires remounted and balanced over having the dealer reprogram the system to recognize the new sensors each time.

6. Other options I haven't even considered or thought of???

One last question as well. Seeing that we don't have our CRZ yet, I'm not sure how the TPMS system is configured. Does it monitor each tire individually or just indicate if one or more tires are low? Just curious what happens when performing a tire rotation if that would cause the system to fault as well and necessitate a trip to the dealer.

Sorry for the first post being so long winded and somewhat starting out on a negative note... It has nothing to do with the car, I know all manufactures have been forced into TPMS - makes me wonder how I have been driving for all these years without it - hahaha. Can't wait for our new little CRZ, even if it has a TPMS warning light on for a few months of the year ;)

Any comments on this TPMS topic are more than welcome...

Cheers all...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No need for anyone to reply. I did a little more digging and after much thought on this, I ordered the winter wheel set with the TPMS sensors and ordered the ATEQ TPMS Quickset Tool from Russ at Revolution Supply Inc.

He was most helpful and said the latest quickset software should work on the CRZ TPMS system since it is apparently the same as the 2010 Accord's system, but if for whatever reason it didn't, he would take it back and cover the shipping both ways :)

This tool is actually pretty neat if I works they way they say it should. As long as the Tire Rack supplies me with the ID codes of all the sensors (which they confirmed they will do) I should be good to go. You will first have to use the tool to read the codes from the cars ECU for the wheel set that is currently on the car and then save those to the "Summer" field in the ATEQ software. You then enter in the winter field with the sensor ID codes from your winter (or other wheel set) and download those to the tool from your PC and then hook to tool to the OBD port and hit the snowflake button to write the new sensor codes into the ECU. Come spring, put the all season wheel set back on, plug the tool into the OBDII port, hit the sunshine button and off you go with no TPMS warning light on - hopefully - LOL

Sounds simple... We'll see if it works... Stay tuned :) The tool is $125 beans so in two wheel swaps it should pay for itself, assuming your specific dealer charges the normal $70.00 - $100.00 reconfigure fee each time (that number seems to be all over the place so I'm not saying that is what every dealer charges, just the range of numbers I have seen in other forum posts for a Honda TPMS code ECU reconfigure).

Cheers, John

·
Registered
421 Posts
i paid a local dealership $50 USD to program the TPMS on my CRZ for my aftermarket rims. paid $150 for the OEM TPMS sensors through College Hills Honda (forum sponsor).

let us know if the aftermarket tool works to program the sensors. i agree, the tool will pay for itself after just two swaps.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Discount Tire has a programmer... and did the new (non-OEM) TPMS sensors I got from them, when they put the winter tires on my stock rims. The original OEM sensors were moved to the other wheels I had purchased.

Tire Rack is great, but sometimes it helps to do business locally.

·
Registered
815 Posts
When I first bought this car in Canada, I was like WTF why doesnt Canadian models dont have TPS!! and now, after reading this, I guess it's good thing that it didnt come with it cause winter tires are kind of needed items in the winter :)

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
When I first bought this car in Canada, I was like WTF why doesnt Canadian models dont have TPS!! and now, after reading this, I guess it's good thing that it didnt come with it cause winter tires are kind of needed items in the winter :)
Yea, TPMS is more of a pain than anything else. I think it was required by the US Gov after the Explorer/Firestone tire fiasco.

Light comes on and wifey has me out there checking all the tire pressures. They come on way too much. No way to legally disable.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
^Can I use it each time I switch wheels for autoX's and such? Do you need to use it again when I put my OEM wheels back on after the event or does the car remember the TPMS sensors after they have learned them once?

·
Registered
332 Posts
The tool remembers two sets of sensors.

So, yes, it'll work in your case, I plan on doing the same thing with it. After I take my winter wheels off, I'll program the autocross wheels into the "Winter" slot in the tool's memory, and leave the summer wheels in the "Summer" slot. You can do quick changes. It's a really nice tool to have. If there's interest, I'll do a full write-up and some video + pictures.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.