Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
221 - 240 of 261 Posts
Discussion starter · #222 ·
In no particular order. These are some items I've installed over the weekend. Supercharger isn't properly tuned yet so that's still a work-in-progress. Intake manifold is actually ported and polished already, I thought I took a picture but I didn't. The intake elbow is not bored. I left it as is in the picture. I do plan to port and polish it someday.

These are the recommended NGK IZFR6K13 spark plugs per Sprintex Installation Guide.

A picture of the original intake elbow. Not ported and polished.

Diode Dynamics Yellow XML2s (Foglight LEDs)

Sprintex Supercharger

Since I had to relocate PCV valve during Sprintex installation I decided to install the Spoon Sports Thermostat

Sprintex intake manifold. Original and not ported and polished. It was ported and polished before install but no picture. Sorry.

Brand new Spoon Venturi Big Throttle Body

Top: OEM. Bottom: Spoon.

Left: OEM. Right: Spoon.

Discussion starter · #224 ·
Sprintex Supercharger installed. It took me approximately 9 hours working alone. It took about 2 hours to install the belt. After going through the entire install, I feel confident I can shave off 3-4 hours of install time if I were to do it again. It was a learning process and fun. Although it took an extremely long time to put the belt on, I think I can do it in 15 minutes or less this time. ;)

Pictured below is Bisi setting up my car for the dyno. Bisimoto will be doing the tuning portion of my build. I'm excited what numbers he can extract. Something to note, the Sprintex intake manifold is ported and polished but the elbow is not. I do plan on porting it eventually. I did not do it because I was rushing to install everything before the Dragon meet. When there's downtime, I'll have it ported and reinstalled.

Sprintex Supercharger installed....

Hope the tune brings it to life! Wish I lived closer to Bisi--wish you lived closer to the Dragon. And it's nice to see you got it installed yourself, as it's a bit more rewarding to know every bolt, hose and belt along the way--once you get to know them, they're friendlier to work with next time, lol.

Hope the tune brings it to life! Wish I lived closer to Bisi--wish you lived closer to the Dragon. And it's nice to see you got it installed yourself, as it's a bit more rewarding to know every bolt, hose and belt along the way--once you get to know them, they're friendlier to work with next time, lol.
It's very true, I still remember everything. I was even able to help Justin out a bit.

Discussion starter · #228 ·
Hey guys! Dropping in for a weekly update even though I haven't been doing this for awhile. I ordered all the Beatrush braces from Kamispeed. Josh quoted me out and took my order. Easy peazy. These are the items I bought.

Beatrush Front Performance Bar
Beatrush Front Member Support Bar
Beatrush Rear Performance Bar
Beatrush Rear Trunk Brace
Beatrush Aluminum UnderPanel

Here's a shot with everything in front of my car.

Beatrush Rear Trunk Brace

Beatrush Rear Performance Bar

Beatrush Front Member Support Bar

Beatrush braces for the Honda CRZ. (Beatrush Front Performance Bar is the one closest to the Aluminum UnderPanel)

Beatrush braces installed. From front to back--Front Performance Bar, Front Member Support Bar, Rear Performance Bar. If anyone is wondering why my undercarriage is so dirty, I am very embarrassed and ashamed. Someone spilled paint all over the freeway and it splatter underneath everywhere. I was very upset but what can uou don't... I might get the Spoon underpanels... lol.

Beatrush Aluminum UnderPanel. Before I installed, I carefully peeled around the letters so it pops more from underneath. I think it looks clean. I decided to leave the "Beatrush" only. As seen on the last image

Last but not least, Beatrush Rear Trunk Brace. If anyone wonders if all the trunk junk fits over it.... it does. It does not interfere at all. Very discreet and sexy. I like!

Sprintex supercharger whine at WOT. For anyone that wants to hear what it sounds like.

Research & development. ???
Sounds great Justin, I can't get enough of that sound, but yours' has a throatier exhaust note than mine, I think. My Sprintex whine almost overpowers the exhaust note. Of course, I'll have to check to see (remind me) of what exhaust set up you're running with. (I have T1R header, OEM 2nd cat/pipe, and Mugen catback.) Sounds terrific, especially with the new tune, eh?:smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

Discussion starter · #235 ·
Sounds great Justin, I can't get enough of that sound, but yours' has a throatier exhaust note than mine, I think. My Sprintex whine almost overpowers the exhaust note. Of course, I'll have to check to see (remind me) of what exhaust set up you're running with. (I have T1R header, OEM 2nd cat/pipe, and Mugen catback.) Sounds terrific, especially with the new tune, eh?:smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:
BLF Cold Air Intake
Spoon Venturi Big Throttle Body
J's Racing Circuit Converter
HPD Sports Exhaust System

(I need to update the first post)

My chances for having a badass CRZin SoCal went out the door :( No, real talk, this **** is getting sicker and sicker. I am super jealous!
I am a big fan of your badass CRZ. It's seriously amazing. I really want to do a Kswap but I just don't have the knowledge or tools to do so. I need to know everything about it: all the logistics, legality issues, what I'd lose and keep, etc. I'm really interested in a Kswap and it will come someday...
Amazing sound, I really like it! It's so unbeliveable how different could be the sound of each one tuned/supercharged "Z"-s... Congrats on your great build BTW
Thanks! It's been a great 6 months from stock to this. I've learned a great deal about the car. I can't believe this car was stock just 6 months ago. Fortunately @litz told me to take pictures of my car stock during the beginning. So glad he told me to! Thank you for supporting!

Discussion starter · #236 ·
A lot of people have been asking me about my numbers and I haven't posted yet. I've been reluctant because I don't have a "final pull" with a fully charged IMA battery, nor do I care. I only have the tuned graph with depleted IMA battery. I also didn't post because the numbers seem high. Bisimoto did my tuning so I trust that these numbers are correct.

My CRZ was tuned by Bisimoto. Bisi is an absolute engineering genius and his approach to tuning the Sprintex was a feat to watch. We had to do everything from scratch. I am VERY satisfied with how the car feels. As some of you have followed, I took a different approach for the Sprintex install. I did not use the supplied piggyback ecu at all. Instead, I chose to go with the K-Tuner End User System (thanks @KamiSpeed). I went in for 2 tuning sessions with Bisimoto. The first session consisted of setting up a base map from scratch and seeing what we can improve on. I went home, took apart the Sprintex, made the adjustments per his recommendation and also had custom work done to the piping of the exhaust system. A week later, I came in for the final tune in an attempt to extract the most power out of the Sprintex. The best way to tune the CRZ is with the IMA depleted. I did not do a final pull with the IMA charged. The time it would take for the car to charge up the IMA + cooling the engine down was going to take too long. An ego booster is not worth my time nor money. (I was already at 7 hours of tuning the Sprintex from scratch). I decided to opt out because the numbers didn't matter too much to me. The most important thing to me was having a boosted car that was tuned properly, safe, and most importantly, reliable.

FEEDBACK
I am very impressed with the Sprintex supercharger. The whine was not as loud as I was hoping but I achieved what I wanted to achieve--to reach numbers similar to that of JR and HPD. Not quite there but close enough that keeps me content. The most impressive change I see and feel is the torque. Huge difference. My entire mid range just opened up a whole new world. We did 3 pulls back to back (listed in order, minutes apart) and it was very consistent: 150.25 wtq, 150.42 wtq (pictured below), 150.20 wtq (pictured below). The last two runs are shown in the dyno below as solid red and green. You'll notice a huge shift in power from red to green on the HP side. This shows that the Sprintex supercharger is VERY sensitive to heat. We let the engine cool down 2 minutes and did another pull with depleted IMA. We quickly gained 10 whp back in ONLY 2 minutes. That is the downfall of the Sprintex supercharger--heat/heat soak. A cold air intake is highly recommended to avoid prolonged heat soak. A vented hood is definitely highly recommended as well. My FEEL's Honda Twincam hood was selected for two very specific reasons. It has raised vents to extract heat from the engine bay as well as serve as clearance from the supercharger. I have not had any bangs or rattles between hood and Sprintex. I also installed engine mounts to keep the engine stable.

One of the craziest things I did not expect was the MPG. It's so insane, I almost don't even want to say. I've filled up my gas tank twice since the tune and.... I've been averaging 50+ mpg. I will provide pictures if needed. Boosted and 50+ mpg? WOW. There has to be something wrong but I'm not sure what, lol. Others have been telling me they are getting low 20s. I assure you, I've been driving the Sprintex hard. The only changes I've had to make during a regular drive was to be lighter on the throttle due to higher torque in low to mid range. At 70 mph (regular freeway speed in CA), around 3K rpm, I'm barely touching the pedal.

The Sprintex supercharger is holding up very well. I've redlined my CR-Z over and over again and no issues. Zero knocks/pings/misfires. I've driven and monitored aggressive driving on my laptop via K-Tuner and still nothing. The torque is very noticeable and the car drives so smooth. I am a very happy Sprintex owner.

Last thing, I did mention it briefly up top, the whine was not as loud as I was expecting. It's there, but only in the latter half of the RPM band. My exhaust system overpowers anything in the lower to mid range. I've been through the canyons and all the power is usable. It's a great feeling. I love hearing the whine, but I don't hear it enough. In fact, it's very discreet. I don't think anyone would know I was boosted unless I floored it. I can drive around all day long and not hear it whine at all.

Enough of my feedback. Below are more details on the modifications I had to do to make this work and also the final numbers.

MODIFICATIONS TO STANDARD SPRINTEX INSTALL
K-Tuner End User System
Relocated MAP Sensor
Modified BLF Cold Air Intake
Bored/Ported/Polished Sprintex manifold and elbow
Spoon Venturi Big Throttle Body
J's Racing Circuit Converer
Custom enlarged exhaust piping w/HPD Sports Exhaust System
RDX 410cc fuel injectors
Tuned for 91 octane

Results:

NO IMA
Max Power: 138.39 whp (164 HP)
Max Torque: 150.20 ft/lb

I'm not exactly sure how much a fully charged IMA will yield but these are my best guessimates per @kaytwozero's method on his build thread. I've searched for more dynos with pre and post IMA tunes. The average that I found was +25 HP and +25 TQ. Taking that into consideration, the below should be the approximate of what my CRZ is putting out. This is all theoretical.

--------------- THEORETICAL ---------------
IMA
Max Power: 138.39 whp +25 IMA = 163.39 whp (192 HP)
Max Torque: 150.20 ft/lb +25 IMA = 175.20 ft/lb

Conversion to Crankshaft Horsepower
Wheel Horsepower to Crankshaft Horsepower Guestimator

FINAL NUMBERS

(Engine + Electric Motor)
Max Power: 192 HP @ 6100
Max Torque: 175 ft/lb @ 2500

(Engine + NO IMA)
Max Power: 164 HP @ 6100
Max Torque: 150.20 ft/lb @ 2500

Like I said, these numbers seem very high which made me hesitant to post. Take it for what you will. Please note that this is on a Dynapack. I have read that these dynos read higher, but I also read that it's best for tuning DDs (daily driver).

Included in this dyno is a stock CR-Z with a fully charged IMA for comparison.

104.23 whp = 127 HP (STOCK)

Thanks for the update, Justin. It really sounds great in your video run, but I wonder if you have less whine due to the different intake parts and pieces and porting. And wtf's that MPG figure all about? Hahaha...nice side effect, eh? I just assumed my CRZ was using more than it claimed on the meter (don't know for sure, since I've never cared enough to calculate,) because of the 5th injector's fuel not being counted in on the MPG's as read on the gauges. I'll just count it as a result of taking it to a good tuner. Glad to see that the Sprintex/KTuner + other mods have come together in unity!:smile2:

Discussion starter · #240 ·
Nothing special. I ordered a few Spoon parts not shown. Recent pictures of my car shown below. I really love the Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08 R. It's a beautiful tire. It's costly at $250 per tire... >:)

Toyo Proxes T1 Sport on the rears until completely worn. I also noticed 255 is wider on the AD08 R vs the T1 Sport.

221 - 240 of 261 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.