Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

Touge Z Official Build Thread

66K views 260 replies 44 participants last post by  Snoop G 
#1 · (Edited)
Project TOUGE Z

Welcome to my official build thread! I purchased a brand new 2015 Honda CR-Z on 01/01/2015. I bought this car for what it is, a sports hybrid. This car is driven daily for long commutes and for me, it has done well as a hybrid, averaging anywhere between 37.5 – 42mpg every fuel up. It has a sporty feel with the 6MT and, when diving into a corner, the car feels light and nimble, with very responsive steering. What this car lacks most, in my opinion, is power output.

I have not chosen a route yet for power. I'm leaning towards a supercharger, especially with K-Tuner out on the market now. A K-Swap is something I would love to do but more research needs to be done. For this reason, I'm holding off on power mods until I know for sure what I want to do. I've contacted HPD directly and there is still no confirmation yet as of 01/05/2016.

Hello Justin,

Thank you for your interest in purchasing the HPD CR-Z Supercharger kit. Unfortunately, I do not have much information for you as far as the release date for the 2015 model. The kit will bolt in and work with the 2015 but it has not yet been added to the 2015 accessory catalog and I am not sure why. HPD helped to develop the kit , but American Honda is in control of its marketing and release. I have tried contacting American Honda regarding the 2015 model but have not heard back yet. I will hold on to your email and let you know if I hear anything, but at the same time I do not want to hold you up from moving on with your decision. Thanks

Thanks,
Vincent Hernandez

Motorsports Department
Honda Performance Development, Inc.
25145 Anza Drive
Santa Clarita, CA 91355
Office: 661-702-7777
Fax: 661-294-7367
Honda Performance Development - Performance Engine Design for Honda Racing

As mentioned in my New Member Introduction THREAD. I held off on modding my car for the first year. These are parts I have ordered within the last 30 days. 90% of all these items are pending delivery to me and/or backordered with a shipment date. Without further ado, here is the beginning of my amazing journey.

Note: As of this posting, my car is 100% completely stock, so we are going from 0 to 100 real quick, real quick!

Modification List:

Engine:
Spoon Thermostat
Spoon Magnetic Oil Drain Bolt
Spoon Magnetic Transmission Drain Bolt
HPD Sports Exhaust System

Drivetrain:
Backyard Special Aluminum Shift Collar
Innovative Mounts Replacement Mount Kit 60A Street

Suspension:
Buddy Club N+ Racing Damper
Cusco Pillowball Upper Mounts
Spoon Front Stabilizer Sway Bar
Spoon Bushings
Spoon Links
Spoon Front Subframe Rigid Collar Kit
Spoon Rear Subframe Rigid Collar Kit

Wheel & Brakes:
Spoon CR93 Hyper Silver 17x9.5
Spoon Monoblock 4-Piston Caliper Set
Spoon Brake Rotors
Spoon Front Brake Pad Set
Spoon Rear Brake Pad Set
FEEL’S Honda Twincam Stainless Steel Mesh Brake Line Kit

Exterior:
無限 MUGEN Front Under Spoiler
無限 MUGEN Front Sports Grill
無限 MUGEN Aero Illumination
FEEL’S Honda Twincam Front Wide Fenders
FEEL'S Honda Twincam Side Steps
FEEL’S Honda Twincam Rear Wide Fenders
Voltex Racing GT Wing Type 1H
SEIBON Carbon Fiber Trunk
HPD Rear Diffuser
Spoon Turbulator
JDM Honda Access Window Visor Kit
JDM Honda Red H Front Emblem
JDM Honda Red H Rear Emblem
VMS Racing Rear Diffuser
Password:JDM Rear Wiper Delete Kit V.2
PIAA Plasma Ion Yellow H8 2500K Foglight Bulbs
Philips T10 6000K License Plate LED Bulbs

Interior:
Spoon Blue Wide Rear View Mirror
C-West Carbon Fiber Triple Gauge Pod
Buddy Club Racing Spec Short Shifter
Buddy Club Heavy Weighted Shift Knob
JDM Honda Hazard Light Switch (w/Navi version)
T1R LED Interior Light Set
Circuit Hero Limited Edition Shift Lever Extender
Password:JDM Shift Lever Extension
JDM Honda Red H Steering Wheel Emblem

Future Plans:
HPD Supercharger (Awaiting 2015 confirmation)
K-Tuner
Spoon LSD Kit
Tanabe Revel Gauges: Wideband A/F Ratio, Water Temperature, Oil Pressure (Join the GROUP BUY!)

I hope you all enjoy my build! Stay tuned! :thumbsup:

:wavey: I will update this thread with pics as products come in :wavey:

See less See more
#3 ·
Sounds like an exciting time, for the transformation looks to be massive--especially if you're going to follow up with the HPD supercharger (but I thought someone on the forum got one for their 2015, or I might be mistaken.) My own build came around before I got a pic of the no-mod version, so make sure you get a good before picture before you start putting the parts on! Have fun with your build.:thumbsup:

#8 ·
I'll definitely take pictures before everything starts coming in. Thanks!

That is a lot of parts on order, this should be an impressive build. I would consider not doing the thermostat though, in Seattle weather and even LAs 40 degree winters it will have a negative impact on reaching operating temperature (just lowering the temp at which the coolant flows) and won't really have any positive effect on a daily driver, lower temp thermostats just lowers the temperature floor but doesn't do anything for the temperature ceiling (how hot the engine gets or how efficient the cooling system is).
Thanks for your input, something I'll have to consider when I get the part in my hand. Unfortunately, everything on that list is literally on the way! No backing out now! :iough:

A man after my own heart, it would seem. Psyched to see this come together!
:wub:

Got damn. This build is going to be crazy good. Really looking forward to seeing this all come together. Keep us updated for sure!
Haha, thanks! Will do, sir!

No kidding about going 0-100 on the mods... that's quite the list. The results should be pretty impressive.
Coming out guns blazing! :thumbsup:

#4 ·
That is a lot of parts on order, this should be an impressive build. I would consider not doing the thermostat though, in Seattle weather and even LAs 40 degree winters it will have a negative impact on reaching operating temperature (just lowering the temp at which the coolant flows) and won't really have any positive effect on a daily driver, lower temp thermostats just lowers the temperature floor but doesn't do anything for the temperature ceiling (how hot the engine gets or how efficient the cooling system is).

#9 ·
I will be updating my modification list. Just purchased a couple more items.

-HPD Sports Exhaust
-HPD Rear Diffuser

Thanks for viewing the thread! :woowoo:

I almost went with the Mugen 13+ Rear Diffuser with a Blitz NÜR SPEC C-Ti Exhaust System. A few parts are taking awhile to ship in from Japan, so I'm not in the mood to wait even longer. It looks amazing though. Sorry Blitz, maybe another car.

This post has been deleted
#15 ·
Haha well said.

I look forward to this build progress :)

I'm trying to build mine for touge style/canyon run car. Just something to drive 'spirited' every now and then, and then run it non competitively on the track.

Speed is not the key element. A good chassis and setup is though. Plus a supercharger never hurts :p

#29 ·
Sorry, everyone! I haven't had a chance to post any pics, but tonight for sure! I've been dealing with shipment issues for one of my items. It's a headache. It really is. Tonight, you'll be able to see what I've received so far. I know. That suspense, lol.

If you haven't already. Follow me on Instagram. It's my username 'Touge Z'. Or hash tag #ProjectTougeZ for everything related to this project.

It's only the beginning so don't expect too much yet. Post up your Instagram too if you have one. I'll follow all of you. I like following builds and seeing it in real time. Thanks!

#34 ·
Just hit you up on ig lol but boy this build sounds exciting! I want me some feels fenders too! Lol

#35 ·
First page updated with a pic.

-Honda Access Visors arrived Wednesday
-Spoon Sports CR93s arrived Thursday
-Mugen front end arrived Friday
-HPD exhaust system arrived Saturday (today)
-HPD rear diffuser arrived Saturday (today)

Good start to a weekend!

#37 ·
So as they come in are you going to install them? Or are you just gonna wait and do a fat week long transformation?

#39 ·
I will be installing everything as they come in, in the most efficient way. There will be stages.

1) N+ Damper, Cusco upper mounts.
2) Spoon FSB, bushings, links, F/R rigid collar kit, engine mounts.
3) CF rear hatch, Voltex GT Wing, wiper delete, rear jdm emblem, tint all around.

You get the idea. No particular order, just whatever gets here first. Things that I can install together, I will. Yesterday (Sunday), I took some pictures of my car. Nothing special, we all know what a completely stock looking CR-Z looks like. Litz gave me the suggestion. I thought it was a good one because in approximately 2 to 3 months, my car will look completely different. Unfortunately, things are moving slower than I wanted, especially since some parts are back-ordered. I'll definitely keep everyone updated. If you've followed my Instagram in the last week, I had parts coming in like every day. Which ended up being that picture on the first page of this thread.

Zach gave me an idea on something, so I've been researching it a little bit. Lexan glass. :grin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.