Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my Top 4 reasons your dealer says DONT DO THAT.

Now for something that will give you all a laugh. I went ahead and called my salesman and asked him to ask what would happen if I changed out my 2nd Cat with a pipe and changed the exhaust and muffler. NOW for the funny part. Here are the answers he got from the Service Manager, Service Techs, and Parts Manager.... It will give you no noticeable power gains, The 2 cats work in tandem and one cant be removed, it will start throwing all kinds of error codes, AND NOW FOR THE NUMBER 1 STUPID ANSWER...."It will void your warranty on the gas engine"

IM going to do it....................

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
well i HAVE modified a new/warrantied car and i didn't have an issue getting things fixed when they broke... in short, the mm act says that the damage to the car must be proven to be caused from you modifying it... so if u have a CAI that sucks up water and hydro-locks your engine, you're screwed... but if you have a SRI and spin bearing or some off the wall nonsense, you'll still be covered...

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
those reasons are all silly.

the two cats do work in tandem to reduce emissions though which is true but you wont be causing any damage to anything. Your exhaust gasses wont be as "clean". You shouldnt get error codes because P2R confirmed there is no 02 back there, you will surely see power gains and you will not void your warranty. If you installed a part that caused your motor to run lean you could void the warranty but exhaust components usually dont cause this issue.

I believe in all states it is illegal to tamper with the cats, but thats another argument. The dealer cant do anything about it.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well considering the down pipe to replace the cat and the exhaust and CAI are all bold on, when the car goes in for work swap the parts back to factory and noone will no.

Thats what im going to do.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Here's the best reason not to do it:

IT'S NOT A SPORTSCAR, IT'S A HYBRID.

If you want a fast performance car, buy one - all the giant pipes in the world won't make this thing any faster.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
^ not true the 5hp and 10 tq will make the car much more enjoyable to drive. Even if its a small gain like that its something that will be noticable.

Catbacks on the R18 are supposed to yield 2-5 hp and i sure felt a gain from having mine.

As far as the dealer saying your warranty is voided, they can suck it. Exhaust components arent covered under warranty anyways except in special situations.

If your hanger falls off on a new car, or if your exhaust hangs or drags on a new car then yes, but if you have a beater and your cat goes or your hanger rusts off its not covered.

exhausts arent meant to last forever.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts

If you want a fast performance car, buy one - all the giant pipes in the world won't make this thing any faster.
posts like this disappoint me. I cant afford sports car insurance, i need a practical car that i can drive and park anywhere (and in all weather conditions) and if you let me i could go on and on about why I buy parts or even why i bought this car. I like modding and parts with function rank pretty high on my buy-o-meter. If youre not interested in making the car more powerful, that great - theres room for you on these forums also. I and a few others here, are interested. We can all co-exist.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts

i am too, disappointed with posts like this... i'm not sure why people are so naive to think that b/c it's a "hybrid" that people will not modify them...

ppl get cars for different reasons... just like you have your Boxter and the CR-Z, but some either don't have that option or just want MORE out of something already great...

·
Registered
3,040 Posts

I want a faster, higher performance hybrid... that will still get good gas mileage! If I wanted a gas hog, I'd buy a porsche. :pP:

(lets see... sports car:
insurance... bad
reliability... mediocre
parts.. expensive
repairs.. super expensive...)

why would I want one of those, unless I am going to track it often? Doesn't make sense for the road...

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
i saw a vid on youtube of the CRX destroying a Lambo. The CRX wasnt a "sports car" but id did the job. Just because its a hybrid means it has more things to modify to make it better as long as its done right. Now better can mean more fuel efficient and slower, or it can mean less fuel efficient and faster...... YOU decide what YOU want.

I gutted the cat on my crx just so i could get over on the fuzz when they pull me over.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
i think the point DerekS was making was kinda valid in the Sense that it's a GREEN car and having 2 cats makes the CO2 emissions much lower and better for the environment.

but on the other hand it's your choice if you want to remove it cus it's your car :p

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
magnuson-moss warranty act...

I did not know that. Thanks Bizzy. I already have had the Honda Service Manager take very overt notice of my 1" drop. Thinking at some point a CAI and Exhaust are in my CR-Z's future.

Here is a link to one of the easier to understand explanations.

Magnuson-Moss Act

McAfee rated "Safe".

1 - 20 of 86 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.