Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
See title. Since Tire Rack is sponsoring this forum, I'd like to get their input.

I was leaning towards the Yokohama AVID Envigors as they're marketed as a good all-around in the 195/55-16 size. But customer reviews of anecdotal mpgs often doesn't seem to be as good as the tires they replaced.

And it seems that the 205/50-16 size opens up many more choices. And some of them are lighter at the wider size than the above Yoko's at the stock size.

I'm primarily interested in all-season, non-runflat. Stock CR-Z wheels.

My selection criteria would likely be in order of personal preference:
1. mpgs
2. hyrdoplaning resistance
3. dry handling
4. light snow traction
5. noise
6. treadlife

aTdHvAaNnKcSe

·
Registered
780 Posts
I have those tires in 225/45/17's on mine, no issues yet, seem to hold up well, no noise, good in rain, have not had them in snow yet, and my MPG did not drop more than like 1 maybe 2 tops. But that is a wide tire with heavier rims.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I want something that corners better...the stock tires really are as bad as everyone says.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm pulling the trigger today on some Bridgestone Ecopia EP422's in the stock size. I think they fit better with my mpg inclinations. Most feedback on TireRack's owner reviews have reported increased fuel economy with these tires, whereas with the Yokos an alarming number of folks were reporting less mpg.

If the CR-Z was my only sporty car then I'd likely reconsider. But I hardly thrash it so I'm more interested in the eco numbers.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I want a tire that has maximum MPG and minimum tire noise. I can live with the rest. Poor cornering isn't a big deal to me. I am in the minority though when it comes to the OEM tires... I like them.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I'm pulling the trigger today on some Bridgestone Ecopia EP422's in the stock size. I think they fit better with my mpg inclinations. Most feedback on TireRack's owner reviews have reported increased fuel economy with these tires, whereas with the Yokos an alarming number of folks were reporting less mpg.

If the CR-Z was my only sporty car then I'd likely reconsider. But I hardly thrash it so I'm more interested in the eco numbers.
I will be most interested in your results. Your fuel economy on the OEM tires is just about the same as mine. Are you switching tires so soon because you are getting new wheels, or do you just hate the OEM tires so much?

I want a tire that has maximum MPG and minimum tire noise. I can live with the rest. Poor cornering isn't a big deal to me. I am in the minority though when it comes to the OEM tires... I like them.
I have to agree with you that I too am not really disappointed in the OEM Dunlops. At least not like so many others who have posted here.

The Continentals that come OEM on many of my past BMWs and Minis were much worse than these Dulops that I current have on both my Fit and my CRZ.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you switching tires so soon because you are getting new wheels, or do you just hate the OEM tires so much?
I'm on the original wheels. The best things that I can say about the OEM tires is that they are quiet and they hold air. Which come to think about it, those are two traits I don't have. ;)

Ok. After getting the EP422's installed, I took them on my mpg test loop. It's a 26 mile trek to the other side of town. It's a mix of about 50% interstate and 50% city/country roads, with a modest number of stop lights. Max speed was 60. I inflated the EP422's to the same 38 psi that I had ran with the Dunlops. My car has about 7500 miles on it, still on the break-in oil, and it has about 30% life remaining.

It's a route that I know well. And I typically get 47 mpg on it from the OEM Dunlops in normal mode. Nothing more or less, it's very consistent.

Keep mind that what I'm about to say next is an anecdotal mpg account. It has a sample size of "1" and is not statistically valid.

I got 50.6 mpg on my test loop on the EP422's, which is about a 7.7% improvement. This would be about the second time that I've ever cracked 50 mpg on any 25+ mile drive.

I do not know how much mold release compound was remaining on the tires, and I concede that it could have temporarily lowered the rolling resistance. However to counter that, I had to deal with breezy crosswinds throughout the interstate portion.

Pluses:
Improved mpg over stock seems to be true. This is the tire that many Prius owners choose to replace their OEM tires with.
Very smooth ride: I noticed it in the first 20 feet. Remember all the reviewers criticisms about the CR-Z's ride harshness? Gone. The car feels much better planted. It's like a layer of ride noise has been removed.
Road noise seems about the same as the Dunlops.

Minuses:
Steering response doesn't feel quite as crisp, but I'm holding off on hanging it out in a corner for about the first tank (so I'm certain any release compound is gone).
Ride seems marginally a little squirmier than the Dunlops, although the Dunlops felt worse than this when new. Some squirm may have been due to the crosswinds. Too early to really tell anything on the handling front.

Overall, I'm quite happy with the Bridgestone Ecopia EP422's thus far.

(There's also a $25 rebate from Bridgestone on these tires as part of their Spring promotion, which expires at the end of April.)

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BTW, I still would hope that a rep from Tire Rack would weigh in, given the title. Although I did base my decision largely from the reviews of owners posts on Tire Rack.

At the time of this post the Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 is too new to have any survey data.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Wow that is a fast feedback report! Keep us updated.

If you are able to average 7.7% better fuel economy because of these tires, they will pay for themselves in fuel savings in about 50,000 miles. So depending on your tire life, scrapping the OEM Dunlops early may end up costing you a net zero$ amount!

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow that is a fast feedback report! Keep us updated.

If you are able to average 7.7% better fuel economy because of these tires, they will pay for themselves in fuel savings in about 50,000 miles. So depending on your tire life, scrapping the OEM Dunlops early may end up costing you a net zero$ amount!
Life's too short to drive 50,000 miles on crappy Dunlop OEM tires. ;)

I think I can get something for low mileage Dunlops on Craigslist. So perhaps there's some upside. While a suboptimal mpg tire, they are the same size as what's on the Mini Coopers and they are less harsh than their runflat tires.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
First 4 runs on the Ecopias.

It will certainly go down once I hit the work commute this week. Most of my work driving is just 5 mile trips on a cold engine.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
BTW, I still would hope that a rep from Tire Rack would weigh in, given the title. Although I did base my decision largely from the reviews of owners posts on Tire Rack.

At the time of this post the Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 is too new to have any survey data.
We are still awaiting a Tire Rack Rep. Once he is joined I will let him know about this thread :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
The Yokohama AVID Envigors came with my Honda OEM 17's and so far, I like them. I drove on the stock 16's with Dunlop SP Sports for a week, and definitely noticed a difference with the Yokohama AVID Envigors. For an all-around tire with better than decent tread-wear, i'm pretty happy with them.

With that said, as soon as they wear down, i'm going with something more aggressive. I miss my old Falken Azenis, and have my eye on the new RT-615's when the time comes.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
First tank complete on the Ecopias. I put them on at about 20% into this tank. 41.2 mpg on mostly urban/rural driving. My average previous to this was about 38.1 overall.

·
Registered
693 Posts
First tank complete on the Ecopias. I put them on at about 20% into this tank. 41.2 mpg on mostly urban/rural driving. My average previous to this was about 38.1 overall.
Great results,:hi5: keep us posted on future fill ups and results.

We presently both have the exact same fuel economy of 38.3 mpg and same urban/rural driving profile, my car continues to roll on the OEM Dunlops and you're on the new Bridgestone Ecopias. I look forward to comparing results.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Great results,:hi5: keep us posted on future fill ups and results.

We presently both have the exact same fuel economy of 38.3 mpg and same urban/rural driving profile, my car continues to roll on the OEM Dunlops and you're on the new Bridgestone Ecopias. I look forward to comparing results.
I expect the economy of both our cars will go up after the first oil change... I'm nearly at 8000 miles on the factory fill oil.

I've got over 20 tanks logged with the Dunlops, so any changes to the average will be incrementally slow. I wish Fuelly would allow different calculations: I'd like to keep a running total, and one from since changing the tires. I don't want to enter the same data twice though on every fuel up to two different fuel logs.

I'm not doing any hypermiling nonsense like taking the car out of gear whenever possible, but I do drive right at or a touch over the speed limit and try to have a very light foot.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hello everyone,

I want to first thank everyone for allowing Tire Rack to be apart of this great forum. I look forward to getting to know everyone and helping answer questions as they arise the best that I can. I see we have some inquiries on tire's that can improve mpg's. We did some testing in August of 2009 and below is a link for what we found out.

http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=CN7...et?tireMakeModel=Michelin_Energy+Saver+A/S_1&

JnC, the EP 422 is such a new tire, that I would love to get any feedback/updates from you that I can on how the tire does.

Thanks,
Chase

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Great to have you aboard Chase.

I saw that link during my research. The difficulty with the CR-Z is that it has an odd tire size: 195/55-16. Many of the higher rated tires on that list are not available in that size (or they are, but not listed in the Tire Rack database).

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.