Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Green Smile)

Does anyone have real numbers before and after for a tire swap. I am interested in how the mileage compares with the different tires people have been trying. I am still currently on the stock dunlop 195/55-16 tires but have considered going to a 205/50-16 for a little better grip. Also I am wondering if I could go to a 185/55R16
and get better mileage. How much better? 5% ? Anyone with any information please sound off. Thanks K

·
Registered
693 Posts
I have been trying to ferret out this information for many months. However, it seems that most people who switch to wider tires have not been monitoring their fuel economy close enough to provide any accurate information aout how much fuel economy they may have lost in the switch.

Here is a test that tire rack did comparing different low rolling resistance tires: When Round and Black Becomes Lean and Green
In this teat they found as much as a 7% difference in fuel economy among low rolling resistant tires of the same size. How much you may lose due to a wider, stickier tire has yet to be determined.

I can say that on my wife's MiNi Cooper we switched from the OEM 175/65/15 tires to a set of 205/50/15 and saw our fuel economy drop from 30 mpg to 28 mpg or aout 7%.

In the past when evaluating tire choices I never gave much consideration to the effect on fuel economy, but with a car like the CRZ who's mission is beter that average fuel economy this is a very valid consideration and I think that there could be as much as a 15% difference or about 6 mpg difference between the best and worst tire size and model choices.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Going from 195 to 185 width tires would change the rolling resistance only slighty. There was a study of LRR tires for Ca that showed this, I think I saw it on ecomodder.

If you go to a wider width, pay attention to the change of mass of the tire. A drastic change can affect fuel economy.

Currently I'm looking at the Bridgestone Ecopia EP422.

http://www.tirerack.com/survey/SurveyComments.jsp?additionalComments=y&commentStatus=P&tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Ecopia+EP422&fromTireDetail=true&tirePageLocQty=

Reviews seem to consistently note improved mpg compared to the tires they replaced.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I am running the Yokohama S-Drive's in a 225/35/18, and my milage is barely lower, (maybe 1 mpg on average). I did keep very close track of my milage with stock tires, knowing I was going to change them. I put the first 2,500 miles on stock tires, and now have almost 2,500 on the Yokohama's. The biggest thing for me is now that it is lowered on coilovers, and has these tires, I find myself wringing it's neck alot more in Sport mode due to it's amazing handling... so my overall milage is down due to heavy foot syndrome. I did run one tank hypermiling with the new tires (even though it killed me), and I averaged 39.2 on that tank... my best to date.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I am running the Yokohama S-Drive's in a 225/35/18, and my milage is barely lower, (maybe 1 mpg on average). I did keep very close track of my milage with stock tires, knowing I was going to change them. I put the first 2,500 miles on stock tires, and now have almost 2,500 on the Yokohama's. The biggest thing for me is now that it is lowered on coilovers, and has these tires, I find myself wringing it's neck alot more in Sport mode due to it's amazing handling... so my overall milage is down due to heavy foot syndrome. I did run one tank hypermiling with the new tires (even though it killed me), and I averaged 39.2 on that tank... my best to date.
This is very good information that you have been tracking on fuelly. You seem to have missed entering in one of your fill ups last week and your fuelly average is off.

I think the fact that you are driving a bit harder and getting better fuel economy is consistent with many others posted experience here.

·
Registered
432 Posts
This is very good information that you have been tracking on fuelly. You seem to have missed entering in one of your fill ups last week and your fuelly average is off.

I think the fact that you are driving a bit harder and getting better fuel economy is consistent with many others posted experience here.
Yeah, I added my latest fill up and then went back and looked and figured I didn't get 62 mpg, so I fixed the missed one right afterwards... you must have caught it right in-between!

·
Registered
693 Posts
Yeah, I added my latest fill up and then went back and looked and figured I didn't get 62 mpg, so I fixed the missed one right afterwards... you must have caught it right in-between!
Just curious, do you live in a very cold climate? Others have reported significantly lower fuel economy in very cold weather driving and some are noting better fuel economy since the weather has become warmer.

Also, do you still have your OEM tires and wheels? I would be very inerested in seeing you put the OEM tires on. Your car and see what kink of fuel economy you get in warmer weather.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Just curious, do you live in a very cold climate? Others have reported significantly lower fuel economy in very cold weather driving and some are noting better fuel economy since the weather has become warmer.

Also, do you still have your OEM tires and wheels? I would be very inerested in seeing you put the OEM tires on. Your car and see what kink of fuel economy you get in warmer weather.
I live in Northern California, and since I have had the car, it hasn't been that cold where I live, although not hot either. It has only started warming up here in the last 2 or 3 days, but up until now the weather has been pretty much the same since I have owned the car. I had a couple of lower averages on some tanks, but I think that was mostly because it was raining non-stop on those tanks which seemed to affect my milage (we got alot of rain in one week).

I can't bring myself to put my stock rims back on, it would require an emergency situation :)

·
Banned
96 Posts
yeah you WILL lose, and lose big lol... take my word for it seen the number yikes but is that going to stop me??

HELL NO.

lol

·
Registered
332 Posts
When I switched out the stock 175/60/15 tires on my Honda Fit with 195/55/15 extremely sticky tires, I took a significant mpg hit. I went from 39mpg to 34mpg on the highway.

Also, the wheels and tires I swapped combined were lighter than the stock wheel/tire combo.

·
Registered
25 Posts
(Green Smile)

Does anyone have real numbers before and after for a tire swap. I am interested in how the mileage compares with the different tires people have been trying. I am still currently on the stock dunlop 195/55-16 tires but have considered going to a 205/50-16 for a little better grip. Also I am wondering if I could go to a 185/55R16
and get better mileage. How much better? 5% ? Anyone with any information please sound off. Thanks K
Use the site to figure out what difference the new tire will make http://www.tiresizecalculator.info/

·
Registered
86 Posts
If you want to match the OEM tire diameter, 215/50-16 is a closer match then 205/50-16. The problem is most of the 215/50-16 tires are summer tires which are not great for long life but are good for improved grip. Good grip is general bad for MPG. I use this tire calculator.

Wheel-Tire size comparer - RIMSnTIRES.com

·
Registered
332 Posts
Grip is the difference between stopping in 30 feet and stopping when you hit that 5th wheel trailer in front of you.

I'll sacrifice one or two MPG for that.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Grip is the difference between stopping in 30 feet and stopping when you hit that 5th wheel trailer in front of you.

I'll sacrifice one or two MPG for that.
If you cant out stop a 5th wheel trailer on eco tires you have a bigger problem. :police:

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I must be lucky with my previous car, 2010 Fit sport because I swapped out the stockers for new tires/wheels (205-50 & 7" wheel compared to 185-55 & 6" stock) and my mileage didn't go down at all on the freeway trips at all. I would get anywhere from 38-43 mpg on the freeway with this set up and when it was all stock the best I got was 41 mpg but going back home to the D 2 weeks ago I got 43 mpg.

I really like the stock wheels on the CR-Z but can't get the Continental DWS in the 215-50 size, those tires are the best tires I've ever had on any car I've ever owned, they do EVERYTHING well!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I switched to civic si wheels 17/7 and hankook v12 sticky tires. Lost a solid 3mpg, possibly 4.

I will take this any day with the increased handling and more importantly the shorter stopping distance. I had an accident in front of me and I was able to manuver to the side and stop,,,the car behind me skidded through where I was and almost hit the car that was in front of me !

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I hated the stock tires, they were noisy and made the car feel wobbly and nervous. I get worse MPG with what I run now, but for me that really isn't something I care about. I now get 5.0l/100km on average, where I was able to get 4.4l/100km on the stock tires.

The tires I run now are Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta 215/40-16. They should be 45 profile to be the correct size, but they didn't have that size when I bought them.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts