Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Bridgestone Potenza RE050A 195/55R16 87V
I know this thread is a little old, but my newly aquired USDM 6MT EX has Dunlop SP 7000 195/55R16s on it.

Either they put different ones on for JDM or they've changed tires. They are probably just as good as the Potenza's.

I was really trying to find out what the 17s were? That might be a dealer installed option and may vary a lot more.

·
Registered
168 Posts
There are a couple of threads on this so I'll post in both. Checked my tyres this morning and they are in fact Yokohama S-Drive 205/45/17/Y. They're about £125 each.

I haven't heard of another CR-Z being sold on Yokoes yet, but it must be what it came on as the car only had delivery mileage when I picked it up. Maybe it's to do with the Electra 17s? The tyres are good so I'll probably stick with them, although something with a rim protector would ease my mind a little.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Dunlops were standard on mine as well. Worst tires I've ever had on a vehicle. I think they are made of wood.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Dunlaps. Also the wost tires I've ever had.
Seems like USDM gets the worst tires.
Dunlap? I'm sure you mean Dunlop and they make some very good tires. I'm running a Dunlop Direzza sport Z1 star spec on my Mazdaspeed 3 and they are by far one of the best extreme performance tires around. Yes you can have different experiences with different brands (manufacturer's) but you can't generalize a brand just because you've had a bad experience.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Dunlop makes some great tires. The Star Specs are just about the best street tire you can get. The ones that came on our CR-Z however, are not Star Specs. They are terrible.

·
Registered
66 Posts
No argument there, just saying you can't generalize like that. An all season tire will not perform as well as a good high performance summer tire.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I'm not even generalizing anything. I don't mean all Dunlops tires are bad. Aren't this thread talking about tires on CR-Z?
Those Dunlops tires come with CR-Z are the worst I've ever had.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sorry if there is some confusion with your english or me not understanding what you meant. I agree that these tires that came on the CRZ are mediocre middle of the road tires. But c'mon were talking about a 122 HP Hybrid, do we really expect that Honda would put a sticky high performance tire on this car? Just cause it's called a "Sport Hybrid" doesn't mean it's a "sports car" or some high performance vehicle. Yes it's fun, zippy, (in sport mode) but time for a reality check. It's a cool, great looking car that has some fun factor to go with it but it's not a "sports car" by any stretch of the imagination. Personally I won't be using the oem tires when I replace these. I will most certainly put a better set of tires on when these go bad. Please this is not a personal attack on anyone here just my own personal opinion so take it with a grain of salt....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Dunlap? I'm sure you mean Dunlop and they make some very good tires. I'm running a Dunlop Direzza sport Z1 star spec on my Mazdaspeed 3 and they are by far one of the best extreme performance tires around. Yes you can have different experiences with different brands (manufacturer's) but you can't generalize a brand just because you've had a bad experience.
Dizerra's are a little bit special though. A lot bit. Most of the STi community regards them as being part of the "holy four" along with Potenza RE11's, Kumho Excsta XS and Yoko Advan AD08. Falken Azenis a very good but underrated tire (IMO). For maximum grip, nothing beats these tires, tho some guys still prefer Hankook Ventus ... we won't talk about them :pP: I've always wanted to try those Nitto NT line tires too, I've heard good things about them. Same with Sumitomo.

I wouldn't recommend any of those tires tho if you live anywhere temperatures are lower than 70 degrees year round. They become very greasy and unless you live in a subtropical climate, cold morning temps will kill your traction.

But I agree, Dunlop makes some awesome products and some crap products. I had Dunlop Qualifiers on my 2006 R6 (stock tires) and while they weren't bad, they were less than impressive. The bike just seemed unsettled and nervous during transitions which really made it unflickable in S-turns and peak traction was sub-par to be generous. I wore Avon Viper VP2 Supersport's and that made a night and day difference. Mountains of grip once warm and very confidence inspiring. But every person I know that races Supersport swears by Dunlop D209GP/210/211 etc.

So I would give them a shot, but I know I will be getting ExtremeContact DWS as soon as the tread gets down to 3/32's.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well, I am still getting used to my Dunlop AS7000 tires. On my previous car, a 2006 Mazda3 (GREAT car, BTW-I miss it but LOVE my CRZ!), I put on a set of Yokohama's-best tire I ever rolled around on and will be a contender when I need to replace the Dunlops.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
:eek:hmy: I think we may have a record for the oldest thread revived.. :hail: Almost three years.. Just a few days after the US debut of the 2011 CR-Z..

But, on the other hand (Cup half full), tis the way to search the forum for content.. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.